Hello

Hi, I’m a new member, just wanted to say hi and tell you a little about myself, I’m 55, 18 months ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 oesophageal cancer, I had 6 rounds of chemo and for the last 12 months I’ve taken part in an immunotherapy trial, for the 12 months I felt really good, hardly any side effects and generally just felt like I didn’t have cancer, I finished the trial 6 weeks ago had a final ct scan and have just found out my cancer has spread to my lymph nodes in my neck, I’m really struggling with the news.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 361 mod

@Karmaguy3

Hello! It is lovely to 'meet ' you. I am so glad you have found us here.

I am so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and recent ct scan results. This is very hard news and must be a big shock to you too, especially as you have been doing so well throughout the treatment and the trial. My heart does go out to you, and my thoughts are with you. I can understand how difficult these days must be for you, it must be a bit like being diagnosed all over again, but worse.

Will you be commencing treatment again, like chemo, to target the cancer in the lymph nodes? Or radiotherapy?

You are most welcome to come and chat here at anytime you like, there are a lot of people here, and all are very supportive and understanding. We are all here to stand with you, as you work through this next phase, you are not alone. I do mean that. If you would like to chat, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Lou x

• Karmaguy3Karmaguy3 Posts: 4

Hi Lou, thanks so much for your reply, I’m not sure what the plan of action is at the moment, my oncologist is on holiday next week so I won’t see him till the week after. The original plan was to keep trying immunotherapy but the trial nurse doesn’t think it’s worth it as it looks like it didn’t work. Thanks again for replying it’s helpful to have someone to talk to, I have an amazing wife but she is a sister at our local hospital and she’s surrounded by ill people all day I hate to burden her when I get home too.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 361 mod

@Karmaguy3

Hi,

I do understand. Sometimes it is difficult to share with our partners and loved ones our thoughts and feelings for that very reason, although I am sure your wife would say 'Please tell me!' It is a catch-22 situation sometimes, keeping communication open, so you maintain that 'team, in-it-together' spirit and strength and not feeling like it's the only thing you talk about. Probably over-sharing is better than under-sharing!

Always here, for when you want to chat,

Lou x

thank you x

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 48 mod

@Karmaguy3

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your scan results. It must be very disappointing for you and for your wife. It is unfortunate that your oncologist is on holiday - sometimes the waiting is the hardest part.

This is a friendly group of people and we like to chat, support and listen to one another. I hope you will keep in touch.

Rob

Thanks Bob, I agree about waiting being the hardest part, I’m a really strong person and can handle things if I know what I’m handling! Hopefully this week I’ll hear something 🙂