Cancer-free!

I saw my oncologist on Thursday, and he says that I am now cancer-free! All future treatment will be aimed at keeping me this way. This has been an amazing roller-coaster ride since 7th December 2018, when I first found a lump in my left breast, via one session of chemotherapy which made me so ill I couldn't repeat it, via sepsis, kidney failure, dialysis, recovery, surgery to remove the lump and sentinel node, to 2nd May 2019, when I got the good news. Still facing radiotherapy, Herzeptin injections, and anti-hormone pills which are making my bones ache, but since I have fibromyalgia, I am used to that. Happy days! I wish you all the very best possible outcome in your own circumstances xx

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@GrannyMosh ,

Hi Brenda,

Congratulations!!!

This is wonderful news to hear. I am so very pleased for you.

It has been a difficult time for you through this, with everything you have endured. It is just so fantastic that now you can begin to put this behind you, even with the continued meds and look forward to better days with your family, enjoying life and living it to the fullest.

I know the fibromyalgia is extremely painful, but I do wish you continued good health and hope you will see a full recovery from all the treatment you have had.

It is always encouraging for everyone here to read 'good news' , especially when others are having a tough time. It helps us to keep going, and never give up.

Have a wonderful weekend, hope you are celebrating! You deserve it!

Lou x

• GrannyMoshGrannyMosh Posts: 19

Thank you, Lou! I have felt pretty good since a couple of weeks after the op, which was at the end of March, and had already told my family that I intended to live as though the cancer was history, so Thursday's confirmation was very welcome news.

I spent this afternoon wrangling my two very energetic and bright granddaughters, with no ill effects, and the 3-year-old is coming for her usual sleepover with me tonight, so normal service has been resumed. I shall pay for it tomorrow, I know..the fibromyalgia will see to that! ...but life is sweet, and to be enjoyed whatever the circumstances. I hope and pray that everyone on these forums finds some joy in every day.

Love

Brenda x

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda,

Ahh, that sounds wonderful, children keep us young! Hope you are not suffering too much , catch up on some rest. I expect you are up already if your grand daughter is awake! I still have teenagers at home so grandchildren are still a twinkle a long way off!

Have a lovely day!

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda

Wow, you have come through so much and I am delighted to hear your good news. As we all know, being cancer free is not the end of treatments and side effects, but it is still a fantastic moment and how lovely you have the energy to enjoy your grandchildren.

It is always great to hear that a member of our group has beaten cancer - it gives real encouragement to others who may be going through a rough time.

Rob x

Thanks, RobA!

There was a point where not making it through was a possibility, not because of the cancer, but because of the sepsis and all that ensued from it. It was grim stuff! I have never feared cancer, or death, because I have faith in God, and know where I am going when the time is right. I'm just not ready yet! Another 50 years or so should be about right 🙂

I don't look on it as 'beating cancer, though. All the talk of 'kicking its butt', etc does nothing for me, though I know people mean well when they say it. I'd rather treat cancer as a temporary travelling companion. Imagine being on a long-haul flight stuck next to someone you would really rather not spend time with! Halitosis, body odour, unsavoury habits and doesn't know how to not share their opinions on everything under the sun, those opinions being in direct opposition to your own. Right? So, you keep your mind on the destination, and how wonderful it will be to get off the plane into gentle sunshine, a refreshing breeze, and the loving embrace of your favourite people in the whole world. So much nicer to fill yourself with positivity than hatred, makes the journey easier!

Love

Brenda x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 349 mod

@GrannyMosh

Good morning Brenda, 😊

I just wanted to say how great it is, that every time I come on here to see what's occurring, I see your 'Cancer-free' title. It is really fabulous to read even just the heading each time because it is a reminder that it is possible. I hope that others find it as encouraging as I do.

I hope you are having a lovely day and that your weekend goes well.

(loved your last post btw! 😄)

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hello, Lou, and thank you!

It was my hope that people would find my header encouraging..we all need as much courage and encouragement as possible on our journey with the companion nobody wants! I'm due to start radiotherapy on Monday, went last Tuesday to get 'sized up', and came home covered in Sharpie diagrams. No 'x marks the spot ' here, though...got more squiggles than a smuggler's map!

I hope everyone is doing as well as can be hoped for, and that everyone encourages their family and friends to be vigilant about their own bodies. A small touch of irony to make me, and hopefully you, smile this morning; I received my letter inviting me to go for a routine mammogram! Proof , if ever it were needed, that we shouldn't rely on routine screening alone to keep tabs on our health!

Love and happy weekend to you and everyone here xx

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda,

You are so right, we do need to surround ourselves with encouragement and positive outlooks. Cancer is grim and depressing enough without adding any other outside negative influences into the mix.

Ohh, I do remember my radiotherapy sizing up! haha, yes, no treasure for me either, haha and the only tattoos I will ever get 🤣. I really hope that goes well for you Brenda, I fared quite well through it, apart from the fatigue, and sunburn.

That is funny! A year after I was diagnosed, I received a routine letter telling me to go for screening, I called them up and said 'too late! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt'! haha.

I found out last week that I have crossed over into the five year intervals for smear test too. I was wondering where that letter was!

Have a lovely weekend with your family, will be thinking of you on Monday and in the days /weeks of radiotherapy.

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Thanks Lou, but home alone this weekend, so going to rest up and try to get rid of the cold my son and daughter-in-law passed on to me last week. Son is playing gigs, d-i-l has taken my granddaughters to visit her mum, and even the au pair has buzzed off for the weekend! Peace, perfect peace....

I've been warned about the fatigue and possibility of burning. A lady who was in the same ward as me has already begun her radiotherapy and suffered no problems at all so far, but she is 11 years younger, and fitter than a butcher's dog. Swims 1000 metres, rides horses, etc, whereas I've had fibromyalgia for at least 10 years. No tattoos done here for radiotherapy, hence the Sharpie doodles.

Must look up the German for "Been there, done that.." etc. I do actually know the literal translation, but I'm sure they will have their own way of saying it.

Smear test...don't remind me! Got that in a fortnight too! Difference here is, no friendly jolly nurse doing it. Got to see gynaecologist! Never had any dealings with her other than to get referral to cancer clinic, and she needs a broomstick removing, if you get my drift. Excellent at her job, though, according to my d-i-l, who has been seen through two pregnancies by her, so that's what counts.

What did you use to help the sunburn?

B xx

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda,

🤣😂🤣

You make me laugh with your descriptions!! So funny! I'd say take a friend, but it isn't something you want a friend in attendance for is it??😂.

I used a Clinique body comfort lotion and an aloe vera moisturiser to soothe the skin. I did get a nasty patch near my neck where they did the lymph nodes there too, and they gave me an antibiotic cream to put on. They should be able to advise you of what to use too.

Enjoy the peace and quiet,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Glad I made you laugh...it is the very best medicine, in my not-so-humble opinion. I'll only be scorched a bit on the bosom, my sentinel node was completely clear so that site will be left alone. Yes, I'm sure that I'll be given advice on what to use. Unfortunately, people here pay me the compliment of assuming that my brain can process what I am being told at the same rate as they are telling me it. My ears don't work that fast, let alone my brain! I'll ask them to write it down, if they don't offer me an information leaflet. I've got Dermol 500, which I saw recommended for use instead of soap, and as a moisturiser, on another thread, so if all else fails, I'll use that. How long is it since your treatment?

It would have to be a VERY good friend to come to that particular appointment with me, wouldn't it?! Sadly, the only two who qualify and who wouldn't baulk at the job are in England. Bit of a hike just for that dubious privilege! Ah well, will woman up and think happy thoughts...😁 It will be a stroll in the park after these last few months!

Already got plans for this weekend. I am a crafter who gets very little time to craft, thanks to my darling granddaughters, so my table is set up with paints, glue, and things to upcycle and make pretty. Tomorrow morning, the crafting will commence!

Ì hope your weekend contains as much happiness as I intend mine shall.

B xx

@GrannyMosh

Morning Brenda,

I hope you are having a fabulous day crafting! How relaxing that is. I love painting and sewing (cross stitch), like you sitting down to do it is very hit and miss sometimes. Lately I have been decorating, I have finished the first project, but now need to wait until exams are over as the next place is near to my daughter's study area and the noise of sanding and smell of paint etc will be a big distraction. So I turn my attention now to the garden, getting it sorted for summer. I made a start earlier in the week, yesterday the weather turned again, I was so cold all day! A little brighter today, so I will go out in a bit. The ironing pile is ever growing though!! 😫 But it can wait!!

Yes Dermol 500 is good. Do you have a friend or family to go with you to radiotherapy?

At the end of May it will be three years since I completed treatment. Mine was chemo, mastectomy, then radiotherapy. I keep getting memories popping up on my phone and FB etc, and it is amazing three years gone already. A lot has happened in that time too though.

Have a great day,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hiya Lou! Well, am not sure it was a great day, but I did quite a bit...of everything but crafting! My weather app told me last night that today was going to be rainy, so I had decided to postpone the errands I had in the city and craft. I got up to brilliant sunshine and boy, was it hot! So, bearing in mind that I start radiotherapy Monday, and am expecting to be tired, I decided to get the jpbs and errands out of the way and make pretty things tomorrow instead.

Two loads of laundry on the line by 11am.My ironing pile no longer exists..all done this morning before it got too hot!😇 Got the bus into the city centre and alighted directly into what I thought was the fifth circle of hell. Guess who had forgotten that this is the final weekend of the madness that is Maiwoche! It translates as May Week, which in itself is a misnomer as it lasts for two weeks. Picture a typical German Christmas market. Multiply by 10, add an even bigger fun fair, and substitute a hundred varieties of international cuisine for traditional Christmas food, and there you have it, complete with everything from brass bands to beggars. Oh, and the local football team was playing at home today too. Joy of joys! Did what I had to do as quickly as possible, and came home exhausted, so haven't done much since.

I used to be a cross-stitcher too! Haven't done any in years as I moved on to other things, but kept all my silks and patterns, and may go back to it one day. I love my paints too, but am not a painter by any stretch of the imagination. I make greetings cards, and do a bit of mixed media and upcycling, all when I have time, of course, and my granddaughters keep me busy knitting for them, and designing and crocheting clothes for Tiny Baby Dolly, the 3-year-old's constant companion. I'm working on a set of canvases with an undersea theme for the girls' playroom...very slow progress! You are lucky to be able to do your own decorating! I'm handy enough with a paintbrush, but that's about it. I'm longing to try my hand at acrylic paint pouring, though...got all the gear, just need the time and energy! I used to be a keen gardener too, until the fibromyalgia got too bad and I had to get a chap in to do it for me. Very frustrating, because I could do a better job than him when I was well! Do you have a big garden to manage? I live in a granny flat behind the family's house, so the garden is not my responsibility, but the lady who owned the property previously planned it well, and we have an apple tree, cherry tree (fruit currently ripening on that but I bet the birds get to it first!), loganberries, redcurrants, a big hazelnut tree and a huge grapevine which provided more grapes last year than we could possibly manage! Some were turned into juice, but many were distributed to neighbours. Nice to be able to share!

Three years.. such a lot can happen in that time, can't it? In those same 3 years, my son called me the day after the referendum and said he'd like me to move over here asap. I had previously said I would come in a few years' time, thinking around 2024, when I will be 70, but working on the premise that it is harder to get someone out of the country than to keep them from entering in the first place, we agreed that an early move would be best and I put my house on the market, found a buyer in 5 hours, and was over here 3 months later!

Do I actually need someone to go with me to radiotherapy? It hadn't occurred to me...I'm used to doing things alone, been happily divorced for 30 years. I have a lovely taxi driver who has been transporting patients to chemo, radiotherapy and dialysis for 10 years, and who would look after me if I had a wobble. I have been educating him in the joys of a good ginger nut dunked in hot tea 😀 Can't buy them here, a friend sends me a parcel of home comforts such as HP sauce, Branston baked beans and ginger biscuits every few months.

Good Lord, what an essay this has turned out to be! I hope I haven't worn you out with my ramblings. Time for sleep, I think. I'm on Facebook too, if you'd like another friend there. Goodnight, I hope you have a lovely Sunday!

B xx

• gloden02gloden02 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi Brenda and Lou. So glad I am on this group. Just reading your words have helped me so much today. Feeling a bit low and sorry for myself. Got some aches and pains which worry me. Seeing my Gp on Thursday hoping she can help. You both with your lovely cheerful words made me eel not so alone. Sending you lots of hugs. Gloriaxxx

@gloden02

Hi Gloria! Nice to 'meet' you!

I'm so sorry to read that you are feeling low and achey. Times like that are horrible, aren't they? I hope your doctor can help, but in the meantime, is there anything nice you could do for yourself to lift your spirits? One of my go-to tonics is to soak my feet in a bowl of warm water to which I have added a few drops of essential oil. Rosemary or grapefruit are great for cheering you up, lavender for healing and sleep. Do you have anyone at home to listen to and support you? I hope so, but if not, you will always find someone willing to 'listen' on here. I hope better days come soon for you.

B xx

Hi Brenda. Thank you for your kind reply. I think every little ache and pain and lump that comes along I panic. Think it’s the b cancer again. I know it’s silly. No I live on my own. Lost my spouse my much loved husband Dennis 13 years ago. Miss him madly. I have 3 lovely daughters and 6 wonderful grandchildren, all grown up and 3 beautiful great grandsons born last year. So I know I am so lucky but can’t seem to pull myself out of this hole I’m in. Feel bit ashamed because I know there are lots of folks worse off. My middle daughter Cathy is coming later on and we are going to have dinner together. She lost her husband very suddenly from a heart attack18 months ago so we help each other. Bless her she is so good to me. Oh sorry I have rattled on a bit. Thank you for listening. Hope you are feeling ok and having a good day. Lots of hugs xxx Gloria

Hi Brenda . Meant to say I have had radiotherapy and apart from feeling tired was fine. Don’t worry about it. xxx Gloria

@gloden02

Gloria, there is absolutely no need to be ashamed of your feelings! They are not something you can control, like thoughts or deeds, but are a natural response to an unnatural situation. I do wonder, though, if a touch of depression might be creeping in? Would it be worth speaking to your doctor about ? If you are reluctant to take antidepressants, you could ask for a referral for a talking therapy like CBT. It might be worth approaching the Macmillans too. I haven't had any dealings with them (I live in Germany) but I have seen them mentioned many times and praised for the help they give.

So sad that you and your Cathy were bereaved so young, but good that you live close enough to be able to support one another. I hope you enjoy your dinner together. And you didn't rattle on. Look at my post further up the thread from last night...more like a short novel than an online post!

Hugs

B xx

Oh..and it's the tiredness that worries me! Am permanently tired these days. I have fibromyalgia, my meds make me tired, and more tiredness from radiotherapy I do not need! Even my tired is tired, but I'll get through it. This time next month it will be over and done with! xx

@gloden02

Hi Gloria

Lovely to hear from you again. Sorry to hear that you are still feeling down. I am sure that you will have a lovely dinner with Cathy and that will help you feel better.

Please do not feel bad because you think that others are worse off than you. Both you and Cathy have lost your husbands far too soon and with cancer thrown in as well, your losses and challenges are very real and cannot be compared with others. Be kind to yourself xx

Please keep posting and chatting and let us know how you get on at the Doctors on Thursday.

Rob x

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda,

Good afternoon, this is the second time I have typed this, having lost the first draft! hahaha!

It was so lovely to read your, it was like receiving a lovely long letter from a friend!

Wonderful! It made me laugh so much...'fifth circle of hell...' I can just imagine what it was like! haha. So funny. I am not surprised you got in and out of town as quickly as you could.

I was completely zonked out yesterday, I couldn't get myself to do anything productive at all, except to cook dinner. Not even my cross stitch of which I have several projects on the go at once! I am sure it must have something to do with the change in the weather!

Today has been better, how about you? Have you been able to do any arts and crafts today?

I finally got out in the garden this afternoon and I have prepared 4 hanging baskets and a tow-tier planter thing, filled with petunias, trailing geraniums, and million bells. Hopefully they should come up well over summer. I still have sunflowers to start off, and the pots and beds to do in the front. We have a large garden, I look after the pots, beds and anything pretty! My husband looks after the trees, shrubs and lawn, and anything mucky or spidery! haha.

At the moment all the azaleas are in full bloom, they are stunning, and the alliums are coming on well. The strawberries and blackcurrants are growing well and the winter pansies and violas are still holding their own and looking very pretty.

I will try and look some photos out to show you, I have said before about showing pics, but if you have read my post about 'Random Friday thoughts' you will know what my garage is like as that is where they are ! Even with the decorating and sorting that has been done recently, it is still overstocked! hahaha.

Wow, that was a quick move to Germany for you! Do you miss being here much? Although being with your family is more important.

It is great you have such a lovely taxi driver to take you to and from hospital. That is good for when you start radiotherapy, as the tiredness will increase as you go on. This is why I wondered of anyone is going with you, so that is great! Very glad you are teaching him the important ways of eating ginger nuts! It is the only way! (My fave biscuit!) Hahaha, HP, Branston and baked beans, always in my cupboard!

I love your tips for Gloria too, very helpful.

I hope you are having a peaceful evening, I will be thinking of you tomorrow, let me know how it goes.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@GrannyMosh

Hi Brenda

I just love reading your lovely, kind, helpful and fun filled posts. Ha ha, with everything that you get up to, how would you not be tired? I am tired just reading your posts😴

All the best with your radiotherapy tomorrow. I had five weeks of it and I did find it tiring and it seemed to build up and continue for quite a while after the treatment was finished. I also found that sleeping did not seem to improve the situation. I would wake up just as tired as I was before I went to bed. My meds make me tired too, but I plan my schedules to include lots of tea and cake which improves matters no end.

Rob x

@LouiseJ ,

I do love to make people smile! Doesn't matter whether it's with comedy or kindness, or, in the case of anyone who doesn't like me, simply by leaving 😁.

I didn't even tell you the full story of my trip to town. One of my errands was to buy a duplicate pair of some shoes I already have. German shoes are wonderful...some of the styles are a bit iffy, but the quality is excellent and the shapes tend to suit my feet better. So..I traipsed right across the city, through the milling crowds, resisting the temptations of miniscule ice creams at inflated prices, to the shop where I bought the first pair, knowing that there is a bus stop across the road where I could get a bus back to the city centre. Battled through hordes of good-humoured drunks, rampaging children and celebrating football fans, only to find the shop had closed early due to the festival. To add insult to injury, the bus stop bore a sign saying it was out of use due to road works. My thoughts at that point were unprintable!

Still haven't done any crafting! My son was offered a bed for the night after his gig, but it was in the flat of an elderly lady who smoked heavily and had a poorly dog, so he drove home instead, arribing at 3am. So, as it was still lovely weather, I washed all his gear (he goes through several t-shirts and towels per gig and he had one each night) and got it out on the line to dry. Au pair arrived back at about 10, so we had a brew and I got a full report of her weekend. And then my d-i-l and the girls arrived home sooner than expected, so I did their laundry too and got it dry outside. Fried american-style pancakes for brunch and made everyone happy, so who cares if the crafting gets left?! I shall try to find your post once the babies are in bed. Back in a bit!

B xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob, and thank you for your kind wishes. I think every single person I have spoken to has warned me about the tiredness. I just hope it will be concurrent with my existing tiredness, and not consecutive! Fibro has messed up my sleep patterns for years- I always wake up exhausted whether I sleep four hours or 14 😥

You've got me singing now..'A slice of cake and a cup of tea suits Aunt Sally and that suits me...'

Goodnight!

B x

@GrannyMosh

And....I'm back in the room!haha! Phew! What an afternoon it has been! Non-stop!

Just sat down with a glass of wine, waiting for the others to return. I'm not sure if it is me, but I am roasting! My body temp seems to be all over the place the last few days. 😅

Your wasted trip across the city! Now then, that's enough to send you into a fit! You didn't stop to smell the roses on the way back then, haha😁.

You have had such a busy weekend, your version of getting ready for radiotherapy! Mind you reminds me of when I had my operation to even me up (😁), the week before I decided to decorate both girls bedrooms, they'd only been waiting, oh I don't know, years, and years!! But no, this was the time. Proper job too, all sanding down, etc, all walls, paintwork, clearing out of actual stuff too. Changing the rooms around, new furniture etc. I finished on the Sunday night, in hospital at 7am Monday for op. I was completely exhausted! 😂. But the rooms looked great! Hahaha.

I think now I do it, because, well why not now. I've just finished one decorating project, our outer kitchen as I call it, was really a junk stop. Spider heaven, DIS-GUS-TING!! Easter, it took two whole days to empty it, then another two days to clean and scrub it. I had to keep stopping and starting, so it took about two weeks to complete it. My next project is the outer front porch area, but we have to wait until exams are complete as it will be distracting. So in the meantime I am going to do one of the bathrooms, only small so it won't take long. Haha..she says!

I am glad the radiotherapy went well, early start for you tomorrow again. Do you feel a bit like a road map with all the drawings on you. Interesting that they don't tattoo you in Germany. I hope you are not too uncomfortable on the zapping table, I had some complications post-surgery, and having to have my arm above my head was really hard at times, I used to sing and pray. In my head of course. 😊Sometimes I got a song in my head, and I found myself wanting to tap my feet or fingers, got told off once or twice! Haha. 😂.

Now, rest this evening! Let the family cook you dinner, although your pancakes sounded delicious, next time send some over! 😁

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Just typed a long reply and lost it! Not happy 😣

Theory; we get so busy in order to take our mind off what is ahead. Discuss.

Have rested a lot today. Dinner was gnocchi with chunks of vegan sausage in a tomato says a with spinach and peas. Delicious! The family are all vegan. I am not completely so, though I eat most of my meals with them. If they are having something I don't like, I bake a potato and have it with a salmon fillet or omelette. I don't use dairy products any more, since I found an acceptable substitute. Animal milk contains oestrogen, which feeds the type of tumour I had, so I won't be having that any more! And I'm staying off sugar as much as possible too, which isn't easy as I have a very sweet tooth.

Early to bed tonight..Most of my appointments are the wrong side of 8am! I don't think Germans sleep, and by the end of this course of treatment, I will probably have forgotten how too!

Zapping table not terribly comfy as I have to lie with my arms above my head in a plastic frame. I have trouble with my neck and shoulders so after the treatment, my left shoulder had seized up. Should be better tomorrow, will be quicker.

Right..off to bed for me! Goodnight, enjoy time with your family xx

@GrannyMosh

Hello Brenda, I hope this morning's visit went ok for you and you are back at home resting! Did you get some relief from your shoulder pain last night?

Oh dear, sorry you lost your post. That has happened to me on several occasions, it is very frustrating I know!

It is a glorious sunny day here today, much better for me! Had to do a uni run this morning, then I spent some time in the garden wedding. It was very hot.

Why do you have to wait a while before applying moisturiser? I was interested to know, only because here we are encouraged to use it everyday during radiotherapy.

Have a lovely afternoon! ☀️😎

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou!

Yes, all ok thanks, apart from having to be there at 7.30am! I am not a morning person...but I might be by the time this course of treatment is over 🙂. I'm not exactly resting, but not overdoing it either. I've had rather a large build-up of paperwork while I was ill, much of it dealt with by my son, who has power of attorney. I still like to see everything though, and file it in my system (there speaks a former public servant of 30-odd years' standing!). Miserable damp day here, started off quite foggy. Got home about 8.15am, had a natter with Jess, our lovely au pair, and breakfast, then a bit of a rest, then started tackling the papers. Glad you've had some sun on your back though. Tell me, have you been holding weddings in your garden for a long time? 😉

Sorry I can't answer your question about moisturiser! No idea, but I will try to remember to ask. I am guessing that the dose of radiation I'm getting is quite low. I've always been a burner rather than a tanner, but so far , I am my usual shade of uncooked pastry...not even a hint of pink! Also, I wonder if moisturiser might erase all the pretty green marks which currently adorn my torso? They are a lot less permanent than a tattoo, for sure. Which uni is your daughter at? Did you have to drive far?

Ooo, the sun has finally appeared! It hasn't been cold, but a bit of brightness is very welcome 😀 I think I shall take the girls out to play on the climbing frame and swings in the garden, I could use some fresh air. They've had plenty, but I'm sure they won't mind a bit more!

Hugs

B xx