Writing in a cancer journal

hessomhessom Community AdminPosts: 112 Community Admin
According to research, keeping a journal during your cancer journey can positively impact quality of life. It can also help you express feelings and thoughts you may not be comfortable sharing with others.

Does anyone keep a cancer journal to log their thoughts and feelings?

Comments

• August16August16 Posts: 10
    Yes.  i think that the journal is a good habit, and it is good to have those thoughts in 1 place.  Texts and emails to friends and family do partially help with putting thoughts into writing, but they are not the same as just letting whatever comes to mind flow onto a page.
    I started it the morning before i got the cancer diagnosis.  i wanted to document how i felt, recognising that if all went well I would have been given a wake up call and got away with it - or - if i got the cancer diagnosis, i wanted to make sure i had written to myself.
    these days (3 months on), i journal at least every second day.  No pressure.  Sometimes its 2 sentences, sometimes its 5 pages.
    I have found some journaling activities such as listing out all you lost from pre-cancer self and then next to each item, write something positive that came from the loss/change.  Then list all you have gained from the cancer diagnosis and again put something positive beside each item.
    I have not put photos in, but I am thinking of taking a ‘selfie’ with every person who comes to an appointment or treatment or who visits... and pasting those in, along with some photos of the physical changes.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    August16 said:
    these days (3 months on), i journal at least every second day.  No pressure.  Sometimes its 2 sentences, sometimes its 5 pages.
    I have found some journaling activities such as listing out all you lost from pre-cancer self and then next to each item, write something positive that came from the loss/change.  Then list all you have gained from the cancer diagnosis and again put something positive beside each item.
    I have not put photos in, but I am thinking of taking a ‘selfie’ with every person who comes to an appointment or treatment or who visits... and pasting those in, along with some photos of the physical changes.

These are all such great tips, @August16, thanks for sharing! Particularly like how you said your journal is 'no pressure'. I write a journal too, but when I first started it felt almost like homework and I found it hard to stick to - until I realised I could just jot down a sentence or two or even draw a picture if I wanted, instead of trying to capture everything about my day :)
  • hessomhessom Community Admin Posts: 112 Community Admin
    @August16 I love that idea about taking a selfie with people that go along to appointments with you!
  • Tre_Tre_ Posts: 3
    This sounds like something that might help mum, she used to write poetry. I will try to slip it in conversation and see how it’s received, don’t want her to think I’m telling her how to cope with her own illness.
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    @Tre_ ;

That sounds like a great idea, especially if your mum loves writing already. I hope that conversation goes well x