Home Cancer Forum Diagnosis

Newly diagnosed and scared

Dawn2305Dawn2305 Posts: 1
edited April 8 in Diagnosis

Hi. I'm Dawn and new to this forum. I have just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has spread to my abdomen and lungs. My gastroenterologist gave me the diagnosis but I am not due to see an oncologist until Tuesday. Needless to say I'm feeling pretty scared right now as no idea what care plan they have planned for me. I keep looking at the internet which is really depressing as it seems there is no cure, it is just a matter of making me more comfortable. I'm 60 this month and not ready to die yet !!!! I've seen that some people recommend a vegan diet as a way of starving the cancer - can any of you recommend to this?

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

@Dawn

Hi Dawn

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Of course you are anxious and I hope that your meeting with the oncologist on Tuesday provides you with some encouragement. I can understand your looking at the internet, we all do it. Unfortunately, we then usually look at the worst possible scenario and imagine that to be our situation.

I think it would be best to discuss any dietary ideas with your oncologist who will be able to advise you accordingly.

I am pleased that you have found our friendly and caring community, we love to support and chat to one another and I hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 601 mod
    edited May 2019

@Dawn2305

Hi Dawn,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, I know it must all be very scary for you. It is a terrifying sentence to hear when you get told you have cancer. Our minds go into overdrive and much of what drs then tell us can go in one ear and out of the other.

Did you have your oncology appointment yesterday?

As Rob has said looking at the internet does mean we see the worst possible scenarios. I know you can't undo what you have seen, but I would suggest that you look no further. For your own peace of mind and sanity, which are probably already struggling.

You are very welcome here Dawn, please keep fighting whatever the dr may say. We are here to support, encourage, cry and even laugh with you. Do not give up, there is always hope, and dr's are surprised often by how cancer patients beat the odds.

Hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x