Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

What to eat when on hormone therapy

6Rogerian6Rogerian Posts: 1

I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and am now wondering how to cope with the restrictions on what I can eat. I enjoy lots of fruit and veg daily, beans, chick peas, rye or wholemeal bread, strong cheeses, wholewheat pasta; brown rice etc...... and these are all off limits for the present. Does anyone have any suggestions of alternatives that are low in fibre and enjoyable to eat? I would welcome any ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @6Rogerian

I am guessing that you will be undergoing radiotherapy on your prostate in about three months time. I was in your situation a couple of years ago and I was given a list of foods which were off limits together with one of those which I was allowed to eat. I was initially surprised because it seemed that the foods I was allowed to eat were over processed and not normally considered healthy.

Unfortunately, I am not able to suggest any suitable alternatives and in my case, I just put up with it for the three months leading up to my treatment. I was told that my bowels had to be empty during the radiotherapy otherwise the treatment could not continue. Apparently, the restricted diet makes this easier to achieve.

Sorry I have not been much help on this occasion, but I would like to welcome you to our friendly community and if you have any other queries, I will do my best to help.

Rob