Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

How can i get help with my young daughter ?

BevcompBevcomp Posts: 2

Hi there

I've just joined the community today , I have been diagnosed with breast cancer and have had the surgery and tumour removed , I'm now waiting for a date to start my chemo. At the moment , I feel ok , but am worried for my 6 year old daughter and my husband in terms of coping. We are here on our own with my family in Ireland and my husbands family in Africa , that means other than some goods friends we don't have a family support network. My husband works full time and I'm worried how he will cope with working and looking after our daughter especially for the times immediately after chemo when I believe I will most likely be ill. I've been thinking of getting in some home help for the weeks when I'll be having the chemo , if anyone has any suggestions or advice , I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Bevcomp ,

I am so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Having a young family to look after when dealing with cancer is especially difficult. When you don't have any other relatives close by to turn to makes things more complicated.

On the one hand it is great that surgery is already done and was successful in removing the tumour. I hope you are recovering well from that.

Chemo affects everyone differently and depending on what you are having you may not necessarily suffer from all of the possible side-effects, they vary greatly.

I would suggest you contact the Macmillan Cancer Support in your area as they may be able to advise you on how to manage this part of your treatment in the best way. They can also provide support for the family as well as you.

From your daughter's age she is in school full-time now, perhaps when you see the chemo nurses, etc, you can arrange to have your appointments during the school day when you know she is looked after by being at school. They are usually quite flexible. If your husband is working during this time, do you have a friend who could accompany you to the hospital?

Welcome to our community, it is lovely to meet you, please feel free to chat or ask questions . Everyone is very friendly, there are many ladies here also with breast cancer, I am sure you will get to know us soon.

I was also diagnosed with breast cancer, I had chemo, a mastectomy and radiotherapy to treat it, thankfully it was successful and I no longer have cancer.

Here if you'd like to chat more,

Lou x

• BevcompBevcomp Posts: 2

Many thanks Lou for your response and words of encouragement. I will make contact with Macmillan support.

I am really happy that you are now cancer free

Regards x