Help passing the time

In between cycles of treatment, or after surgery, you can find yourself spending a lot of time at home alone while recovering. What fun hobbies do you have that can be done at home to help pass the time?

Comments

• puppy3puppy3 Posts: 15
    Netflix!

• cosiecosie Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Yes TV although it’s boring after a while :( I’ve got into colouring lately
  • HopeHope Posts: 1
    I do jigsaws and puzzles on my iPad and find it passes the time when I can't sleep. I also read a lot of books on my Kindle as I can do either without disturbing my husband!
  • August16August16 Posts: 10
    I have a bike on the mag trainer /stationery trainer. You can multi task while spinning the legs.
    I also rely on podcasts, books, Netflix, jigsaws and gently working my way through cupboards to throw out or donate things that i no longer need.
    podcast recommendations: Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday.  Always uplifting.  There are some very good cancer podcasts.... the uplifting, the informative and those with the complete range of different cancer survival stories.
  • GeeGee Posts: 1
    I end up doing card making 
  • hessomhessom Posts: 79 Community Admin
    Gee said:
    I end up doing card making 
    This sounds fun and creative! Especially with Christmas coming soon!
  • August16August16 Posts: 10
    Learn guitar using the Fender App
    Learn yoga with the daily yoga app
    both are good for beginners and only take between 5 and 15 minutes a lesson - so no pressure
    August16 said:
    Learn guitar using the Fender App
    Learn yoga with the daily yoga app
    both are good for beginners and only take between 5 and 15 minutes a lesson - so no pressure
     This is great idea! I'm currently trying to learn guitar and agree, just a few minutes a day can be really fun. 
  • CiaraCiara Posts: 1
    My Mum, who is a cancer patient, has found adult dot-to-dot books to be enjoyable. They are intricate and require plenty of concentration, and so are a welcome distraction. 
    That sounds great Ciara, I've found adult colouring books to be really therapeutic and a good way to spend time too, especially geometric designs where you can create really fun patterns :)
  • Bker7090Bker7090 Posts: 11
    I try and do a small task and I am learning  to do cartoons as it makes me smile at my efforts and at times when feeling low I can look at laugh these forums are very useful for ideas and knowing people have similar experience bur different response  keep thinking onwards and upwards 
    Bker7090 said:
    I try and do a small task and I am learning  to do cartoons as it makes me smile at my efforts and at times when feeling low I can look at laugh these forums are very useful for ideas and knowing people have similar experience bur different response  keep thinking onwards and upwards 
    Drawing cartoons sounds very creative @Bker7090

Happy to hear you're finding the forums helpful :smile:

• RobertARobertA Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    I I love music and have an electric piano. It has incredible computerised technology built in to it and it helps me to write my own songs. Managing the technology is more complex than playing the piano though🤔 
    I am also learning Spanish using the Duolingo app.  It was all going well until we went to Spain and I tried to use it in practice - everyone saw me coming and just spoke in English. 
    Rob 

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    RobertA said:
    I I love music and have an electric piano. It has incredible computerised technology built in to it and it helps me to write my own songs. Managing the technology is more complex than playing the piano though🤔 
    I am also learning Spanish using the Duolingo app.  It was all going well until we went to Spain and I tried to use it in practice - everyone saw me coming and just spoke in English. 
    Rob 

Hi Rob,
    That's great you are writing songs, I think that is an incredible gift and talent to have. I too love music ( play the guitar and flute). I had to stop playing for a while due to surgery and recovery. Haven't had a chance to pick up my flute yet as my daughter has claimed it for her own lessons ( she does have one, but needs a better quality one now). 
    You made me laugh talking about your Spanish efforts! Sounds like us when we go to France. My husband had a similar experience to you, using duo lingo he figured out what he wanted to say, however his attempt was met with a quizzical look, someone else in the shop interpreted! 
    I don't care if I get it wrong, I just jump right in, I might only have a couple of words but somehow it works much to the amusement of my family. 

Lou x
  • Juliec55Juliec55 Posts: 2
    hessom said:
    That sounds great Ciara, I've found adult colouring books to be really therapeutic and a good way to spend time too, especially geometric designs where you can create really fun patterns :)
    I was bought an adult "swearing" colouring book as a gift last year and enjoy venting my frustration in it by colouring the words in as well as the pretty backgrounds!! If i am particularly frustrated at "Bob" my tumour, its a great idea so only you know and dont actually have to say the words? It makes me laugh outloud sometimes, obviously i dont take it to the hospital when i go for treatment!!
  • PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 24
    I buy WordSearch books to pass the time.It keeps your brain from "straying elsewhere".
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    @Juliec55 , @PositiveLady10 ;

Hi ladies, welcome to you both.
    I agree with you both, when I was having treatment colouring books and puzzle books were my 'go to' apart from the tv!
    Hahaha...I can just imagine taking the colouring in to hospital, although I am sure the nurses wouldn't have minded at all!
    Definitely, having something to take the mind off the cancer, or helping to prevent the mind to dwell is really important. 

Lou x
  • Juliec55Juliec55 Posts: 2
    Hi thanks for your reply!!
    If you are interested the adult colouring books are available on Amazon.
    Carry on colouring:).
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 101 mod
    Anybody have any reading suggestions they'd like to share?

I am reading a Kate Morton book at the moment, I have read a couple of hers. I find them really interesting, they cross generations, and have a mystery of some sort going through them.
    Currently reading The Clockmaker's Daughter.

I know when I was having chemo, reading wasn't good for me, that chemo brain took hold!! So I understand if for some reading is tricky to concentrate on.

I love doing cross-stitch also, and generally have several on the go at the same time! 

It is difficult sometimes in the winter months to be outside often. So I do have a lot of indoor hobbies haha. 
    This is usually the time of year I am researching family history stuff, I find all of that fascinating.

Lou x
  • Bker7090Bker7090 Posts: 11

Hi

Also found difficult to read for long periods...do some drawing and knitting as hands have numbness (due to chemo) so try to keep them moving.

Found plasticine wow what fun sqeezing shaping the stuff ,abd having good memories of doing activities with children.

Lastly ..shredding all unwanted paperwork and I had loads!!!

Last full chemo end of Feb before scan ..so onwards abd upwards and thinking about when the hair comes back....(have to buy shampoo)

Take care x