New to the group

Hi everyone ,

I was diagnosed with Breast cancer last September .So happy to say that I'm all clear ,finished Chemo 10 weeks ago,successful surgery ,just waiting for 3 weeks of radiotherapy .So all is good and got through the chemo really quite well .

However ,I am left with Peripheral Neuropothy mostly in my feet ,a bit in my fingers .I have been told that it will probably go but then I might have it for months,years or for the rest of my life .

It's very uncomfortable especially in bed or in fact with my feet up .Although I can walk ,my legs seem to be affected and I'm slightly off balance .Does anyone else have this ,if so can anyone recommend a cure or something that might help .

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @jobose

How lovely to have you here in our very friendly community!

It is brilliant you have been given an all-clear, and have come through all surgery and chemo well.

I am sorry to hear about the post chemo difficulties. You are not alone! There are so many others also affected in the same way as yourself, including me. Mine started during chemo, I had no idea it was related and kept thinking what have I done? It continued to get worse and worse, I went from being able to walk like a normal human being, to shuffling in agony like an old woman (no offence intended to our older members, it's just I am NOT old!). The pain in my feet, legs and bones, whether I was sitting, lying, walking was unbearable at times, I didn't know what to do with myself. My oncologist did give me some strong pain meds to try and help. She also arranged for me to have dexa scans to check my bone density, mri's and xrays to check nothing untoward was going on. I was always convinced it was related to chemo though. In the midst of this, it transpired I also fractured the bones in my feet too, but didn't know it until the mri and ct scan was done two years later!!

I would suggest you keep telling your oncologist especially if things continue to get worse.

BUT....there is good news....finally late last year, I began to see a small improvement happen, and very slowly since then, things are getting better. I mean I still can't walk or stand for long, and at times I am in agony still, but it's not 24 hrs 7 days a week agony, it comes and goes. I do exercise, I found swimming and aqua classes are brilliant as they have little or zero impact on my joints and bones, I would highly recommend it if you are looking for something to help. I don't necessarily think there is a cure for it, managing the pain is important, I think time will play a major part in your recovery from it, and hopefully you won't be as bad as me!

I have had to re adjust to how I do things now. As a family we have to consider my mobility issues, but you know, I don't have cancer, and to me it's a small price to pay.

I wish you well, hope your radiotherapy goes really well, no where near as scary as chemo!

Lou x

• jobosejobose Posts: 2

Thank you so much Lou ,

so far mine is not anywhere near as bad as yours .So hopefully it won't get any worse .

But as you say our Cancer has gone . So absolutely it's a small price to pay .