Sentinel node biopsy pain

Hello! I am a 51 year female recently diagnosed with invasive breast cancer but thankfully early stage, grade 1. Estrogen positive, her 2 negative. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy 3 weeks ago but am still in quite a lot of discomfort and pain particularly at the site of the sentinel node wound. I met with my breast surgeon two days ago and have been told I need a 2nd op as they didn’t get everything first time round. Good news though nothing showed in lymph nodes! Not looking forward to another operation though but that’s life! Just want to ask if anyone else has experience of ongoing pain when sentinel nodes are removed. The literature provided after the operation indicated it should be getting better after 2 weeks. Mine seems to be getting worse! Thank you 🙏

Comments

• GrannyMoshGrannyMosh Posts: 19

@fifi67

Hi fifi67. Sorry you need another operation, but glad you found out so early. I understand from the surgeon who did my op that they have to go deeper to get at the sentinel node, so it takes longer to heal. My op was 29th March, and the pain has only eased properly during this last week, so there is hope yet for you. I think two weeks is a bit optimistic! I hope that reassures you, and that all goes well with your next op. Best wishes

Brenda x

• fifi67fifi67 Posts: 3

Thank you Brenda, you give me hope this pain will eventually ease! Best wishes to you too for the remainder of your treatment and beyond. X

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @fifi67 ,

It is so good the cancer was caught early! Thank goodness for that! I am sorry you are needing another op, I do think when drs give a timeline for healing we should add at least half as much on again. I have a feeling they are usually over optimistic ! That has always been my experience! 😊

I do remember my lymph node biopsy taking a while to recover from too.

I do hope the rest of your treatment plan goes smoothly and that it won’t be too long before you can put this behind you and become a distant memory. Being diagnosed with cancer, whatever the stage , is a life changing event and we need to take the time to process what we have been through and how it affects us. I wish you continued success on beating cancer. Stay strong and positive.

Welcome to the community, I hope you will soon get to know us, please keep in touch, let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Lou x

• fifi67fifi67 Posts: 3

Thank you Lou for your kind words of encouragement. I will certainly keep you posted on this ‘journey’! x

• GrannyMoshGrannyMosh Posts: 19

@fifi67

Good morning! How are you doing?

B x