Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Help

spitfirespitfire Posts: 12

Hi just wondered if anyone can help about to start my first chemo next monday and just wondered if anyone could say would I be fit enough to go to work the next day? We run our own business so not a problem just asking for booking the diary.

Many thanks

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @spitfire ,

That is an interesting question, I know some people have been able to continue working throughout their chemo treatment. I think it depends very much on the type of work, ie, avoiding putting yourself at risk of picking up infections from other people etc. It is also an individual decision and how you are personally feeling. Sorry , I know this isn't a yes/no answer. It's a tough question really, I understand it is tricky if business still needs to be planned and continued. Also I don't know if various chemo's have a different reaction time etc. I was on FEC-T for breast cancer.

Has your oncologist or chemo nurse given any advice ?

I guess we can only share with you how we coped with it, hopefully others will contribute with their thoughts soon too.

I didn't work during chemo, I worked in a school, and it was the start of the Autumn term, a perfect scenario of new reception children and their germs! haha!

On my first day of chemo, it was a morning appointment, I was very nervous to be honest. You hear so many horror stories about chemo and I had no idea how I was going to react to it.

I had the drugs pumped in via my picc line, then we went home armed with a bag full of drugs to take each day. It is a weird feeling because you are half expecting for something to happen which didn't for me, apart from feeling very weird. I made sure I took every anti-sickness drug I could which really helped.

If you are working from home, or somewhere where you would be able to escape if you needed to , carrying on with normal things is good I think. It probably helps to keep your mind occupied too. I did a lot of clock-watching during chemo, thankful for each hour that passed without incident haha.

I am aware that this has probably not been very helpful at all, I am so sorry!

Will be thinking of you on Monday,

Lou x

• spitfirespitfire Posts: 12

thanks lou for your reply just got another question it’s day before first chemo today and wanted to know if it’s ok to have a couple of wines as going out to lunch or would you all advise no to this? Also might help me sleep feeling very anxious now xxxx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @spitfire ,

I am so sorry I have just seen your post! You have probably finished your lunch out, I really hope you enjoyed it. I didn’t really drink alcohol during chemo, I did try, haha 😂, occasionally I was able to tolerate a glass of sparkle but nothing more. It probably isn’t the best thing to do really, but it is an individual thing.

I know you are anxious, it’s not surprising, but remember that the nurses etc are all very experienced, they know exactly what to look for, and will monitor you closely while the chemo is being administered. You just let them know of anything you feel. Take all the meds they give you. These chemo drugs are going to be like a heat-seeking missile, looking for and destroying that cancer. You stay strong with that goal in mind. Can you sleep with some relaxing music playing in your ear. In my early days I had to have music playing at night to help drown out the noise of my fears etc.

Always here for you anytime you want to chat.

Lou x