Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

anal cancer

christinechristine Posts: 7
edited April 2020 in Diagnosis & Appointments

I have recently been told I have anal cancer and waiting for results of 3 scans before I know my treatment.  Does anyone know how anal cancer happens, as I have no idea, and what lies ahead with treatment.  thanks

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @christine ,

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, that must be a huge shock for you.

I wanted to welcome you to the group, I am unable to give you any info about anal cancer, but I am sure there is someone else here who is going through the same cancer. I thought I’d read a post previously about it.

@Charlie91 , Hi, I remembered that you had mentioned you had been treated for this cancer. I hope you don’t mind me tagging you, I thought perhaps you might have some wisdom and insight for Christine.

Christine, you will be well supported here, even if the cancer is different, what it does to us in so many other ways is often very similar. We all understand what it is like to be told you have cancer.

I hope the results of the scans come through soon so that you can start treatment as soon as possible. Keep in touch, let us know how you are doing.

Here for you if you would like to chat at anytime.

Lou x

• LauraLaura Posts: 33

Hi Christine,

I was diagnosed with anal cancer in September last year. Please feel free to ask me anything ....there is no such thing as a silly question or an embarrassing question! I hope your feeling well in yourself..... I will tell you all about my treatment if that would help you? The very first thing I'd like to say is the fear is the worst part. The treatment is not too bad, but the stress of cancer is awful.

I hope I can help you in your journey and your treatment.

Best wishes

Laura xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura @christine

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much! How brilliant is this community when we are able to help one another, it is the best!

Hi Christine, I hope you are doing ok, the early days after being told of cancer are very hard. Your head is all over the place, emotions are in turmoil and your mind tries to take you places you'd rather not go. It is a nightmare. I know I didn't have time to turn around, everything moved so fast! Be here! Do this! Take that! etc , etc. It was a long time before I was able to process everything and work it through.

The best thing is to take one day at a time, sometimes, that is minute by minute, hour by hour. You are among friends here, who all know and understand the thoughts and feelings you may be experiencing. Please feel free to come and chat, ask questions, rant, cry, laugh anytime.

Thinking of you

Lou xx

Hi Lou and Christine,

Totally agree and Lou is the best listener of ranting!! ❤

Laura x

• christinechristine Posts: 7

Hi all, I get my results from scans tomorrow and yes scared silly of what lies ahead as my lump is growing back.  What is the treatment like and side effects?  I worry about getting to hospital as live on my own and have no one to take me.  Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you Christine x

Hi Christine,

I had a fast growing tumour as apparently, most of them are. Firstly, everybody is different but my treatment was radio and chemotherapy together. I was told to prepare for feeling awful and would have lots of side effects..... but to be honest, I was up every day, doing the housework and felt reasonably okay. I took anti-sickness meds as I would be sick without them, but apart from that, things basically ticked along as normal. My one piece of advice to you would be to batch cook lots of food and freeze it as there will be times when you will need to eat but will be too tired! I found this a great help. Also have lots of snacks in as you wont always want a meal. I felt awful if I didn't eat and many times had to force a snack down! Please dont panic about transport as the hospital will arrange transport for you every day. The worst part was that I had radiation burns from the treatment. This happened at the last stages. This sounds awful, but please dont be scared as these only lasted about eight days and the hospital were fantastic with creams and dressings etc. They are also fabulous with pain relief too. The pain I was in before my treatment was horrendous but as the treatment started the pain from the cancer eased so actually, I started feeling a lot better during the treatment! .........

There will be a lot of scary scans and MRI's in the next few months I should imagine, but again, these are really quick. I should have mentioned too, that the radiotherapy sessions only took 12 minutes each! This was the one thing I was really surprised about as I had images of hours and hours at the hospital. Take a good book or magazine with you as sometimes you have to wait If they are running late. I found the difficult part was the embarrassment of being examined! ....the hospital staff were lovely and eventually, it became a joke and I was always put at ease and made to feel relaxed about it. Please ask anything you need to.....I can'tsay enough that I had lots of 'silly' questions which weren't silly at all and were very important to know. It's hard, but try to relax and concentrate on getting yourself ready mentally and materially...... I found this helped with the endless waiting to start the treatment....... take care and remember that we are all here to support each other xx

Hi Laura,  Thank you so much for your replies, it has meant a lot to me. Although i do have family i live on my own and they are busy with children, work etc.  Please stay in touch and will let you know how i get on tomorrow.  Being out of work hasnt helped.  I have told myself i have cancer, but a part of me has buried my head in the sand.  I think tomorrow will hit me hard.   Christine x

Hi Christine, I totally get it about it taking time for it to sink in that you have cancer....you're definitely not alone there! ..... I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow and please let us know how you get on.

Laura xx🤞

Thank you Laura, and will let you know how i get on  Christine xxx

Hi Christine,

I was thinking of you today.... hope everything went well for you

Laura x

Thank you Laura, I am crying happy tears. Although the lump showed cancer cells the scans came back alll clear so i dont need treatment, but have decided to go on a trail run of radiotherapy just in case.  I cant thank you enought for your support and hope you will be ok in the future.   If anyone else is reading this then willling to listen and help with what you go through whilst waiting for results as its awful, Christine xxx

Hi Christine,

I'm sooooo happy for you....I didn't say to you earlier but I also had a cancer free biopsy..... but they will do another biopsy in June to be sure as there was a suspicious bit that the surgeon wasnt happy with. If you need any help with your radiotherapy please feel free to contact again.

Keep smiling and celebrate!!! ❤

Laura xx

Thanks so much Laura, do keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.  I will do the same.  I feel lump is growing back but they said it was fine, so need to be aware and thats why i agreed on a trail run of radiotherapy.  Take care, Christine xxx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@christine

Hi Christine

Great to hear that your scans came back clear and how kind of you to offer to listen to and support others who are waiting for results. We do tend to imagine the worst scenario whilst we are waiting and it is lovely to know that others are there for us in those difficult times. It is also great to hear good news stories - it is so encouraging for others who are going through tough times with this awful disease.

Rob x

Hi Rob. Thank you for your reply.  Even though I was told the cancer is treatable, the past few months have been hell waiting for the results. I started planning my funeral, a list of things that i wanted to leave to friends that wasnt in my will, even told my hairdresser that if i lose my hair i want it shaved of and how would i explain it to my 5 grandchildren.   I am one of the lucky ones but having gone through an op and was told it was cancer was awlful.  Here for anyone who wishes to share their feelings if i can support in any way.  I wish you well.  Christine x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

@christine

Hi Christine

Ha ha. I did exactly the same when I was diagnosed. I actually ordered an organiser from Amazon called ‘I’m Dead, Now What?’ I listed the people I wanted to be notified of my death, details of my bank accounts, the music I want at my funeral, the things I want to leave to friends etc. I am pleased I did as it happens as I actually use it and it should make things easier for my family when the day finally arrives.

Yes, the waiting for results is awful, and lets face it, cancer of any description is a life altering event. I am so pleased that we have this community of lovely courageous people who love to chat and support one another. It has been a great source of support and encouragement to me.

Rob x