Hi I am new

spitfirespitfire Posts: 12

Hi I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer I have had a lumpectomy I am her2 positive so I was due to start chemo tomor but have developed a chest infection so they have postponed it seems strange but was in s weird way looking forward to starting my it and getting the first one over with looking forward to getting lots of tips from this group xx

Answers

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@spitfire

Good morning to you. Welcome to the community, I am really sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, you have come to the right place. You will find heaps of support, encouragement and friendly listening people.

Everyone here is either dealing with their own diagnosis or that of a loved one. We all understand how it feels and how it goes, you can come and chat about anything .

I too was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept 2015.

I am sorry you have picked up a chest infection which has delayed chemo. I hope you get over that very soon so you can get started. It's not weird thinking that, it's normal wanting to get on in getting rid of the cancer.

I expect you have been inundated with information etc, and appointments coming from everywhere. It will feel like you are in the middle of a whirlwind and feel your feet may not touch the ground!

Try and take each day one at a time, it's a long road, but sounds like you have a positive attitude which will help enormously.

Rather than bombard you with more thoughts and info right now, just ask anytime you like to know more. The thought of all the treatment ahead of you us very daunting and the shock of being diagnosed takes a while to process.

I saw your question about cold caps, some people say they were bearable, and did help to reduce the hair loss. But for others they still lost their hair.

I didn't choose to have one. I was told the headaches were really hard, like really bad 'brain freeze' like when you eat ice cream sometimes. I can't stand that feeling so thought it best not to.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x

• spitfirespitfire Posts: 12

Thank you Lou for your reply that’s my thought about cold caps it’s a lot to go through if it doesn’t work .

Seeing my consultant again wed to see if my infection has cleared then we can get dates sorted for starting chemo

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @spitfire

I can’t help with your diagnosis but I would like to welcome you to the group. There are a lot of lovely people here who like to chat, listen to, and support one another. We may have different cancers, but we all understand the emotional effects a diagnosis often brings.

Do let us know how you get on.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @spitfire

Oh that is great, are you going with someone? That is always a good idea, they can take notes for you too, saves you trying to remember everything! haha. Let me know how you get on. Thinking of you.🤗

Lou x

• HayleyHayley Posts: 6

Hi I used a cold cap and although my hair still thinned on top of my head I kept my fringe and rest of it. I don't regret it as my hair has come back really thick and I know of others whose hair didn't. So my feeling is it protected the roots. You do get brain freeze with it but that lasts about 10 mins. I used to take paracetamol to help with that. Having said that it is another thing to cope with and not for everyone.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 259 mod

@spitfire

Hi, how are you doing? I hope that infection has cleared up. How did you get on with your appointment last week?

Thinking of you,

Lou xx

@Hayley

Hi Hayley,

That is good to know the cold cap worked for you, and that you were able to tolerate the head pain. Really lovely your hair has grown back so well too. Did your hair change colour or style when it grew back, Or is it the same as it was pre-cancer? I used to have red hair, but now I have dark hair, especially at the back of my head.

Lou x

Hi appt all good chemo to start 29 xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

@spitfire

Good to hear your infection has cleared.

Now you can get started with kicking that cancer into touch.

Rob x

@spitfire ,

Hi,

That’s good news! As Rob says, now you can get started, to be rid of it.

Do you know which Chemo you will be having?

Keep in touch, here anytime you want to chat ok.

Lou x

I think it’s the tpc! As I am her 2 positive they are throwing everything at me and yes just want to get it started and then you are one down xx