New here

Hi All,

I found this website today. Looking though, some people seem to be coping and others not so.

I have a chronic blood cancer and was was diagnosed in 2010. I've been well after treatment then but it came back last year. I started the same treatment last month. Not feeling side effects much but the stress is getting to me.

Anybody want a chat, have advice or want to be friends, please get in touch and we can chat and cope together.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Rambler67

Welcome to the community, it is so great you found the site. There are many people here, all very friendly and definitely up for a chat! We all support one another, good days and bad days. Some of us, like myself have been through treatment and come through successfully, others are still undergoing treatment, others are living with cancer as a long term thing.

I know @RobertA , Rob will be very pleased you have joined, haha, 😊.

I am sorry to hear the cancer has returned, and I hope the treatment will be successful. It is very stressful going through cancer, when it returns it must be harder still as you are then reminded of what you have already been through in the past. It must have been a shock still, to be told again. Everyone copes with cancer differently, but at least here, you are able to share your thoughts knowing there are others who will understand, even without you having to explain everything all the time. You will have a lot of support here.

Do you have any support with family, friends, or cancer support in your local area?

Keep in touch, let us know how you are doing, if you have any questions etc, about anything, just shout.

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

@Rambler67

Hi Rambler

As Lou said, it is great to have you on board, Nearly all of the people posting on our board are ladies, which is rather nice, but I am pleased to have a chap for company.

I am really sorry to hear that your cancer has come back and it is not surprising that you are feeling stressed. It is great that you have found us, we love to support each other - to laugh, cry, commiserate, encourage, laugh and chat together.

I did a Q & A in the Stories and Info section and I attach the link should you wish to read it. Though my cancer is different to yours the emotional issues are probably very similar and I ended up clinically depressed. I was advised to go to MacMillan Cancer Support and received amazing support and the services of a professional counsellor which were provided free of charge. If you have one, or any similar organisation in your area, why not pop in for a cuppa and a chat. I also love this community where I have met so many lovely people whom I count as friends. You are so welcome and I hope you will keep in touch.

Rob

The blog post is here: https://livebetterwith.com/blog/how-i-live-better-with-prostate-cancer-robert-from-jersey/

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Hi Rambler,

Welcome to the site. You definately have come to the right place to air your worries in a non judgmental and compassionate place. People really care about people here. If you have an appointment or a treatment let us know. It’s nice to hear from someone who will say how did it go? How did you get on? It’s comforting to know others care. The cancers are all different, mine is colon cancer, but the feeling surrounding the shock of diagnosis and for some the reoccurrence are understood by those who have experienced it. It’s like nothing else you have experienced and we get it!

We have some fine men who are not scared to open up and I hope you will get some advice here and support. There’s @RobertA @Peter that I have had some lovely exchanges with here and I am sure they will be able to connect with you.

I hope that you manage to get some help via MacMillan or your doctor o manage the stress of a second battle.

We are here for you.

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Lv Jackie x

• Tmac63Tmac63 Posts: 15

Hi Rambler

Just wanted to welcome you and say hi. I am new to the group as well, everyone in the group are so helpful and welcoming. I did my first post yesterday and the support I received was amazing.

Hugs Tracey 🤗

• Rambler67Rambler67 Posts: 3

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to some good chats with people and to get support and hopefully give support too.

Mark

• LolaLola Posts: 10

Hi Mark

im relatively new too but can’t tell you how grateful I am to have found this group. It’s somewhere to go to share how you are feeling and not be judged. You can openly ask questions and talk about your emotions and I guarantee someone WILL talk and you WILL feel better. It’s also a great place to learn things.... things you may not even realise you were unsure of.

all the very best Mark.

Tracey

@Lola , @Rambler67 ,

Hi Tracey and Mark,

It is great that you are both here, looking forward to chatting with you both more. Hope you are both having good days as much as possible. Feel free to join on with any discussion you like, we have an 'off topic ' category too where we talk about anything, normal life stuff, laugh, share photos etc, you are more than welcome to join in.

Take care,

Lou x

• LolaLola Posts: 10

Hi Lou

Lovely to hear from you. I do come on here quite often and read what people hv to say. I get great comfort hearing how remarkable some people are and it helps me put my own situation into perspective. Some people are really going through it - I feel guilty sometimes thinking how minimal my own situation is. I am however feeling a little down today. Not sure if the pain relief tablets or the tamoxifen are affecting my moods. Im due to start radio therapy on 7th May. Just realised my husband will be away for my first session ( with work) and away again as it falls for my last wk. Feeling super fed up. I know he has to work, but we did agree he would come at least to my first one. Bloody work. I know I can’t get mad, it’s just bad timing... but... 😢

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

@Lola

Hi Tracey

Good to hear from you.

Can I say straightaway that your situation is anything but minimal. You have been through a great deal already through your surgery, hormone treatment and pain management, and you still have radiotherapy to come. That is an awful lot to take on board on top of the emotional issues of the cancer diagnosis itself.

I have been through a lot less than you, but I have experienced depression arising from my treatment and its side effects. I have probably already mentioned the support I received from my doctor, MacMillan and from the lovely people in this Community and thanks to them all I cope pretty well now. I found that family and friends were supportive, but they did not really understand how I was feeling. If you have a cancer support organisation in your area, you may find it worthwhile popping in for a chat and a cuppa with people who do.

Please do not feel guilty - a cancer diagnosis is different from any other illness. It is always a shock and often overwhelming.

By the way, my own experience with radiotherapy was not uncomfortable or painful, though I got rather tired after the first two weeks.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. We will be with you all the way.

Rob x

@Lola

Hi Tracey,

Please do not think your situation is minimal! It is anything but! Any cancer diagnosis is horrendous for anyone to go through. There are so many types of cancers and variations within cancer, that we really should not be comparing our situations with anyone else, I understand how you feel though. But still, don't do it.😊

Sorry to hear you are having a tough day and feeling a bit rubbish, it could be a combination of factors to be honest. Tamoxifen can cause depression, but then so could being diagnosed. You have so much going on, and emotions and the mind can take a real hit from it. As Rob, says the Macmillan Cancer Support group are really brilliant at providing on the ground support. It is worth giving them a call, find out how they can support you.

Do you have a friend who could go with you to Radiotherapy? I was in the same situation during mine, my husband couldn't always come with me, but I did ask friends for help. You know, the ones who say 'if I can help let me know'! So I plucked up the courage to say 'Ohh actually there is....'

If you haven't already, you will get an appointment to go through everything re the radiotherapy. When you go for your first one, it may take a longer time as they have to make sure you are positioned spot on to the mm, and you mustn't move. The zapping, as I like to call it, doesn't take too long after that. It is tiring, which is cumulative, so lots of rest when you can is advised.

I do hope the 'down' lifts soon,

Chat soon,

Lou x