Can't sleep

puppy3puppy3 Posts: 15
Hi all, this is my first post on here. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Last night I had trouble sleeping. I couldn't sleep in the first place, then I woke at 1, 4, 5, 6am. I just listen to my husband sleeping and I feel alone. I wake up and my mind just races.  Last night wasn't helped by sweating to bits even though it's freezing. Lying there in soaked pyjamas worrying about life. Anyway, going to try and have a cup of tea and get the day going. 
Tagged:

Comments

• cosiecosie Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Awww @puppy3 so sorry to hear that
    It's the worst isn't it when you're just lying there
    Big hug to you whilst you're having your tea  <3

• trdlondontrdlondon Posts: 6
    I'm sorry to hear that too. Ok I've got a couple of tips for you in case they help. 
    Try stay awake in the day as much as you can. Even if you have to force yourself. The more you can do to be tired at night the better
    Also try not to eat or exercise for a couple of hours before you sleep. I heard this can really mess up being able to sleep
    I don't know if these will help you at all but wanted to tell you them in case xxxx

• puppy3puppy3 Posts: 15
    wow thank you guys for replying to me quickly
    @trdlondon I have to stay awake in the day as I am going into work in 2 hours!!!!!!!
    I'm going to try eating dinner earlier, I'm used to eating after the kids have gone to bed but I'm going to eat with them today...I'll let you know if that works
  • annalondonannalondon Posts: 6
    Heh, sorry to hear this, it is a bit of a shocker especially when you are working and trying to live as ‘normally’ as possible. I found lying in bed didn’t help me so I got up went into the other room, made myself a cup of sleepy tea (camomile etc), had a piece of toast and read a book. I found if I watched TV or worse started googling symptoms, reading cancer blogs (don’t at least not at 3 am when you feel very alone!) I wouldn’t get sleepy but reading seemed to work. Also a warm bath before bed. Remember you are not alone, I know it doesn’t feel like that in the middle of the night but know that there will be lots of us just like you feeling the same way. Try to read some easy going book to distract you. Wishing you a peaceful and sleepy night.
  • bullcowbullcow Posts: 7
    My husband is having trouble sleeping.  I don't know what he does during the day because I'm working. He has been having trouble sleeping.  I will ask him to try to stay awake during the day. I will get him some chamomile tea. Hopefully this will work.
  • Nicky_HNicky_H Posts: 1
    So sorry to hear you're not sleeping. I had exactly the same thing. Cool gel pads are goid for those. My sweats got better, hopefully yours will too..
    I went to a hypnotherapist who gave me a relaxation talk to listen to in bed, that really helped, also doing a quick 'mindfulness' type relaxation exercise before going to bed. She also told me to visualise myself in bed, comfortable and asleep, before going to bed.sounds a bit nuts but I still do it and I think it helped.
  • I found if I watched TV or worse started googling symptoms, reading cancer blogs (don’t at least not at 3 am when you feel very alone!) I wouldn’t get sleepy 
    @annalondon Oh the dreaded googling spiral, we hear this so often! Perhaps a bit funny coming from an online cancer forum moderator, but there's definitely something to be said for putting a limit on your internet 'research' sometimes! 📣 Step awayyyy from the WebMD searchbar! 📣
  • bullcow said:
    My husband is having trouble sleeping.  I don't know what he does during the day because I'm working. He has been having trouble sleeping.  I will ask him to try to stay awake during the day. I will get him some chamomile tea. Hopefully this will work.
    fingers crossed, @bullcow - chamomile tea certainly works for me, I've got a whole range of 'sleepy' teas that I choose from before bed now, I love trying new ones  :3
  • hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin
    August16 said:
    @puppy3 YouTube has great meditations - put ear buds in and listen to someone else’s voice in your ears, it helps quieten the thoughts between your ears.

try : “deep sleep meditation” its1hr45min... https://youtu.be/713yQmnsVFU
    YouTube has meditations for preparing for chemo, preparing for surgery, preparing for radiation.
    It’s a good idea to have a couple of sleep meditations already in the watch list before you get to bed.
    Have a play around you will find some you prefoverbothers.
    This is a great suggestion, @bullcow This was similar to what i was going to suggest for your husband. 

If he's less inclined to listen to mindfulness or meditation then maybe an audiobook would help instead? This is what helps me. Especially if it's a long story or a series I can follow. The story is distracting and calms me, and I think concentrating on someone's voice helps me drift off (eventually) or at least not mind too much if it takes longer to fall asleep.

Personally I use Audible, but there's lots of great audiobooks on iTunes and podcast apps
  • cariadcariad Posts: 1
    On line meditations - there are some free aps - I use 'insight timer" but also loads on u tube 
    Also I listen to podcasts from iTunes - the free ones - there are hundreds to listen to 
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Though male, the treatment I receive makes me subject to hot flushes and I need the bedroom to be nice and cool so that I can throw the quilt off. My wife is not so happy when I do but she also likes a cool bedroom and says it makes her feel snug and sleepy under the duvet.

A nice dark room is usually conducive to sleep. 

We rarely eat close to bedtime. 

A busy day with physical exercise should help make you feel more tired. 

Meditation has been mentioned by several posts and thank you @August16 and @cariad for your suggestions. 

I do not watch tv or use my computer within an hour of going to bed. I like to listen to nice gentle music which I find very calming.

My counsellor suggested that I try to think about nice experiences I have had in a peaceful and relaxing environment. I know this is easy to say when your head is full of anxieties and worries but hey, worth a try.

These things work quite well for me. 

Rob