Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Hi Just discovered this site.

Poppins19Poppins19 Posts: 2

Hi, I had a mastectomy in November, 4weeks after diagnosis. In that time I had lymph node surgery.

i had a braxon reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy. The hospital were great, very supportive. My breast care nurse has continued to be supportive. After my final check up in clinic, three weeks after surgery I was signed off with a prescription for Anastrozole and told to come back for an MRI in six months. I felt very fortunate to have got off ‘lightly’ compared to many others. What I wasn’t prepared for was the fatigue and emotional rollercoaster that hit me like a sledge hammer.

Tears and anxiety like never before in my life. Friends and family tired really hard to help, it wasn’t until I had a long talk with a work colleague who had also had breast cancer that I realised and I think accepted, that the whirlwind that was my cancer diagnosis and treatment was changing my out look on life. In the months that have passed I have become accustomed to the strange feelings in my breast, my erratic emotions, sleepless nights and no longer have that feeling of impending doom. I’m back at work, yes some days I’m so tired I’m not sure how I will get home BUT the days and nights are getting better.

Anyone who has just been diagnosed, hang in there. Help is around but give yourself time.x

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Poppins19 ,

Welcome to the community, and thank you for sharing your story.

Hearing others’ experiences is so helpful. I am so glad you have a positive outcome, the emotional rollercoaster and fatigue are very common to many of us. There are lots of us! Taking each day as it comes and allowing yourself to adjust to a new way of living, it all takes a while.

It’s great things are improving for you. I wish you continued strength and health and joy in each day.

Everyone here is very friendly, come and chat often. Lovely to have you here.

Lou x