Shine Cancer Support Charity & Experts In Young Cancer (20s, 30s And 40s)! Ask The Experts!

ShineShine Posts: 4 Young Cancer Expert
edited April 3 in Ask the Experts
Whether you've been diagnosed with cancer or are caring for a loved that is going through cancer at a young age, Shine Cancer Support, a charity dedicated to helping those diagnosed with cancer in their 20s, 30s and 40s, are here to help answer your questions 

Post your questions now

We created Shine Cancer Support following our own experiences of being diagnosed with cancer as young adults, we wanted to fill the gaps in the support and advice available.

Now, we run 14 social networks across the UK and a large programme of national events including camping trips, workshops, conferences and residential events, all designed to help fill those gaps.
All of this experience has connected us with thousands of people affected by cancer as younger adults and we have built a fantastic community of people who can support each other and help us to develop our work further.

We are here to offer help and support, as well as answer your questions on living with a cancer diagnosis in your 20s, 30s and 40s.

Comments

• anniepodanniepod Posts: 1

Hi I'm Annie and my son has non hodgekins Lymphoma stage 4 he has opted out of chemo and the cancer appears to be progressing quicker than I expected I want to take leave from work to care for him can I get any financial support?

• ShineShine Posts: 4 Young Cancer Expert

Hi Annie, I'm so sorry to hear about your sons diagnosis. We're not experts in financial advice but I'd definitely suggest talking to your local citizens advice as they have benefit advisors that can work out what you can claim. Also, depending on your employer, you may be able to take paid or part paid leave on compassionate grounds so it is also worth talking with your HR team or your boss?

Is your son in our age group? You could also encourage him to take a look at what we offer as he may be able to access some support online or meet other people in similar situations?

Take care and best wishes to your son too,

Emma (Shine HQ) x

• Yurico9Yurico9 Posts: 1

I am going next week to my fourth Chemoteraphy cicle of my treatment for Non Hopkings Lymphoma. I will get my menstruation this monday, there is an issue to have it at the same time that I am taking the infusion? Thank you in advance for your feedback

edited May 13

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. We haven't heard of this being an issue before but we are unable to give out medical advice so we would suggest that the best thing to do is to ask your medical team about this for your own peace of mind. If you are in the age group that we support you may also find it useful to join our Facebook group where you can get great peer support.

All the best

Rosie (Shine HQ)

• donnadeedonnadee Posts: 4

hi im 8mth free of cancer i had high grade tcc ,bladder cancer and squamous my consultant told me because its an aggressive cancer it could come back any time anywhere because it took 4 yrs for them to diaganose me with it could you tell me what i should be looking out for symtom wise please

Hi Donna,

Thank you for your question, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it's great to hear that you are currently cancer free. I can understand your anxiety around it returning however because we are unable to give out medical advice we would always suggest that you speak to your medical team if you are concerned. You could also join our private Facebook group to chat to others in a similar situation, the link is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/shinecancersupport/

Best wishes

Rosie (Shine HQ)