Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Neuropathy from cancer drugs

I am three years post bowel cancer but I have terrible neuropathy in my feet and hands. I a, on gabepentin but nothing makes it better any ideas would be gratefully received.

Comments

• 4Gretton4Gretton Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

Hello there and welcome @Karenoffrintonia

I too suffered badly with neuropathy after chemo for bowel cancer. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of help out there for this. I think that as with many cancer treatments the medics thinking seems to be that they’ve got rid of the cancer so what’s the big deal! Grrr! I guess the pharmaceutical companies need to be doing a lot more research here. In the meantime, I do my best to keep hands and feet warm. I keep well away from airconditioning which seems to send it into overdrive. Sometimes it just kicks off for no rhyme nor reason. Though I do find it worse at night and first thing in morning. Please post if you come up with any ideas

• I try and just get on with it and not let it stop me getting on with my life. I am thankful I ahave a life to live, just thought I would see if anyone else had any suggestions. It’s funny how it comes on at different time worse for as you say no reason. I am much better in summer months.

thankyou for yr post.

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

@Karenoffrintonia @4Gretton

Hi Karen and 4Gretton

I went to see Oncologist today and told him about my increased sensitivity to the cold in my hands and he thought maybe the Platinum content in the Oxiaplatin could be reduced in my case. They started at 100% but are going to reduce this to 80% next time. Hopefully this will help. This time following chemo I also suffer from awful taste in mouth. Nothing tastes right! It’s a learning curve! Ginger Ale and ginger nut biscuits are a good idea Gretton! I think they bring a bit of relief. Also Marks and Spencer butter mints.

I also try to do what I can when I feel like it or I feel I won’t do anything. I know rest is important and have had a quiet day today.

Hope you have a good evening.

Lv Jackie x

• BarbaraBarbara Posts: 9 ✭✭

Neuropathy is extremely painful I can recommend patches on ones skin,

terrific Ralvo 700 mg medicated plasters