Best Of Friends

RobertARobertA Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭

An elderly friend of mine (listen whose talking) sent me a poem he has written and asked me to set it to music. I think it is really lovely and thought you might like it.

BEST OF FRIENDS

We two have been the best of friends for many many years

We’ve shared the good times and the bad, the laughter and the tears

We’ve heard each others worries, our troubles and our woes

Yet still our friendship carries on as everybody knows

So if you ever need me, if there’s something I can do

You only have to let me know and I’ll be there for you.

————————————————————-

Maybe we could change it slightly to use for ourselves as follows -

This group will be the best of friends for many many years

We’ll share the good times and the bad the laughter and the tears. Etc.

Rob x

Comments

• hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin

This is lovely Robert, thank you for sharing! Your friends got talent 😉

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hey Rob!

I love the poem!

Can’t wait to hear it put to music!

Hope you’ve had a good day,

Chat soon,

Lou x

• LesleyLesley Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Love the poem Rob! Lesley 😗

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Hi Rob, that’s lovely and will be good put to music. How nice to have a friend that feels like that about your friendship. Lovely.

Luv Jackie x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you all. Yes, I am lucky to have such a wonderful friend. Priceless.

I will tell Ron about your kind comments and I hope that I can write some music that will do him justice.

Still looking for a singer Jackie. 🎤🎧

Rob x

@RobertA

Hi Rob, I am sure you will do your friend Ron justice.

I would be honoured Rob! 😊

Hope you have a lovely evening and that your meal includes pudding! I have a Millionaires Shortbread for pudding! I hope it tastes better than my apple earlier. It tasted salty????!!!!!!

Take care, speak soon.

Lv Jackie x

edited April 12

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie

Hope your bloods were OK yesterday and that you are coping well with the latest round of chemotherapy.

I have made a start on Ron’s music, but it may be a while before I am happy with it and ready for you to sing it. I have not told him I have a proper singer and it will be a lovely surprise for him. Mary is at Hospice on Monday, so I will be free to spend the day trying to sort it out. When the 🐈 s away the 🐁 will play.🎼🎹 Ha ha.

Rob x

@jacksprat_x1 , @RobertA

Yes, Jackie, ditto what Rob said! Really hope it went ok for you, and you are wrapped up warm.

It's going to be great one day when we can hear your song Rob, it's so good to have music to focus on. I think when you are playing music it's easy to get lost in what you are doing, I love it when I get the flute off youngest! haha.

Lou x

Hi peeps!

All going well so far following chemo yesterday. See what Monday brings haha. Might go quiet then....don’t say thank goodness you two!

Rob I’m glad you are getting down to it in Monday, hope you can get your inspiration whilst Mary is out for the day. Perhaps you can find a flute line for the lovely Lou? 😀

Lou how about it? We can have our community band!

I hope you are feeling well today and that your shoulder pain is better?

Looks like a lovely sunny morning out there. I had a wonderful 6 hrs sleep lovely! Do you know since I started with the group something clicked I my head and I have become so much more relaxed and can sleep.......could be the treatments tho?! Still I’ll take it.

i hope you both have a great day. Keep up the positivity, it’s all we got!

Soeak to you soon the T pot and toast is calling and Jasper the retriever

needs feeding!

Lv Jackie x🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie,

What a lovely pic of Jasper, hope you have had a good day today. It has been sunny all day, but really cold here! I spent quite a long time baking, making hot cross buns. My feet are paying for it now! haha.

That's wonderful that you are feeling more relaxed these days, since you joined us, finding a peace in the midst of a trial is really good. It will give you strength to carry on, and stay strong. Whatever is causing it, being able to have quality sleep is a good thing.

Quiet house at the moment here, one has a trial shift at a bar, the other gone to a friends birthday celebration.

Lord of the Rings on TV , again! haha, we have the dvds but always find ourselves watching them. We can almost recite them, we have watched them so many times, and never get bored. My eldest calls it our comfort blanket! haha.😂

We will watch BGT on catch up another day.

Have a peaceful evening,

Lou x

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff

Hi Jackie

Lovely to hear that you are feeling more relaxed. Maybe the garden settee and a glass of wine help too.

I do hope that tomorrow goes well for you - no we don’t want you to go quiet. Love your posts. X

What a handsome chap Jasper is - the name really suits him. I bet he likes lots of long walks. We had a spaniel who used to fetch her lead and drop it at my feet when she wanted a walk.

Ron’s poem is quite short so we will need to add a long flute solo for you Lou. I love the idea of the community band. Name anyone? Three of us in the Prostate Cancer group are getting together to try a bit of jamming. I dare not tell you what we are calling ourselves or I will have to sit on the naughty step with our lovely friend @Lesley

Its a bit cool here today so we are watching the football at home as I write.

Lv Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob, Jasper is a lovely 8 year old! So sweet natured , a real gentle giant. I also had a spaniel once.

Aw thank you Rob, had my chemo Fri and pump off today. Feel a bit sorry for myself today going down fast! Going to rest rest rest! Food tastes medicated weird! And as for tepid warm squash or water yuk! I can’t wait till it’s over and a long cold drink! Cold starts the tingles off!

Glad you are getting the boys together you will love it! Haven’t got a name yet and I’m intrigued to find out what name you have. I once chose a name we went under called Under The Covers! Until a new member thought it was too risqué! A Headteacher no longer with us! There I knew I was going to Join Lesley on the naughty step! Trouble is 62 mins is a bit long! @Lesley

Lou will have to wrestle the flute from her daughter as she is practising for her exam! 😂 @Sunshinedaff

Hope you all have a great evening. Thanks for cheering me up!

Lv Jackie xxx

🎶🎸🎼🎹🙋‍♀️

Hi Lou,

I hope you all enjoyed your Hot cross buns. Sounds like you worked hard to produce them. Your poor feet.

Jasper is a lovely boy! Not had so many long walks lately but he has his daily ones! Will be nice to take him to the forest soon so he can run free! He’s good company.

Hope your older Daughter’s job at Marks & Spencer’s and trial job in bar going well. Also that they both enjoyed their nights out. You got your own time for Lord of the Rings. My precious! 😂

I’ve had a nice sleep although awake early! Try to get off again soon! 5.20am! Hoping for a better day today. But will take what I’m given haha!

Hope you have a wonderful week off together and get to do some nice things with Mark this week. So nice to catch up with each other on a whole week off! Enjoy the break.

Take care Lou my dear friend.

Lv Jackie xx 🙋‍♀️💖

Ps that is you swimming with the the dolphin isn’t it. Got me confused at first haha! Lovely picture !

@jacksprat_x1

Hey Jackie,

Cooey! It's only me!😃

Are you sitting comfortably in your outside area? 😎

My daughter loved her trial shift, and they called her today to say she got the job, she started yesterday back at m&s, every one was really pleased to see her, which was lovely for her. Just this morning she got a call for an interview at our local pub, popped down there and she has a job there too for the summer. So she is having a good day!! 😄. Uni rent sorted! And..breathe... Now they are both studying, we are popping out later to the first bar, so she can sort out hours etc, and we will sit and have a drink while she does that, it is a coffee shop/bar.

I have started my spring decorating project, I mentioned it in the other thread. I am doing quite well at the emptying part! I do need to remember it's Mark's week off and not bombard him with loads of jobs hahaha, although he has been to the tip twice today with garden rubbish!😃, We know how to have a good time!!!🤣🤣

Yes that is me also, swimming with dolphins, my other profile (moderator one), I do interchange the two. That was one of the best experiences I have had, we were in Florida. The fact I was able to swim was amazing as until the year before I was only a basic swimmer, never out of my depth, terrified of water. But then the family taught me how to swim under the water, and jump in, and be out of my depth, since then you can't get me out of it! haha, So to be able to swim with the dolphins was just awesome and I wasn't afraid. Sorry, going on, but it was so special.

Keep resting, stay warm, get some sunshine light, but in the shade if you know what I mean!

Chat soon,

Big hugs 🤗

Lou xx

Hi Lou,

So pleased for your daughter it’s so nice when they can help with the Uni costs. Good girl!

What room are you decorating? I love a change now and again! We have wallpaper and paint for spare bedroom but its going to wait. My son in law wanted to get it done for me to come home from hospital but I got released too soon and then Norm slept in there mostly on then off and doesn’t want the upheaval now so it’s on hold! So lovely of him Wanting to do it tho! We might hold him to it later haha! He’s a good lad.

It’s really nice to have the new seating area down the bottom of the garden but the wind off the North Sea has been a bit cold to sit yet. Supposed to warm up soon so maybe get a chance soon. The wine will have to be on hold I am trying not to drink alcohol till chemo is over. Cold drinks are a no no with that neuropathy at the moment. I can have a hot choc down there haha!

It’s satisfying to get stuff down the dump isn’t it? Hopefully you can do both chill and prepare for decorating !

I wish I could swim, was put off as a kid when my teacher push me under with her grab pole! Never got over it. Made sure my kids could swim then at 40 took lessons but could not get it! Silly thing is I can float in shallows and love being in it but cannot break the mental aspect of being adrift! Maybe when I have beaten the Big C I can beat the depths!

The dolphin swim is amazing! What lovely creatures and a great experience for you. You must have been on a high for days!

Had a nice day with Norm. We went out in car for a little while in the sun. He picked a few things up then came back and poodled about the garden for a little while. Feeling a little better than yesterday. Mrs Grumpy yesterday but that doesn’t happen too often! I don’t think anyway... Norm may not agree! Haha

Have a good evening.

luv Jackie xx 🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet!

Another day over, where's it gone??!😉

We have this sort of 'outer kitchen' tacked onto the side of the kitchen proper, it's not a proper extension, but its used to store loads of kitchen stuff, cat things, wine (very important). But because it is directly on an outside wall, no glazing, and the back door, is a wooden ill-fitting thing, the cold, damp, spiders and anything else that takes it's fancy likes to come in. It's not our house so we can't really change it, but I am going to fix it up as best as I can. Today we went to B&Q to fetch some masonry paint, and mould cleaning stuff, sugar soap etc. I have a lot of decorating things already from decorating the girls' rooms not so long ago. Everything is cleared out now, so tomorrow, sanding, and deep clean can begin! I love decorating, but not mucky dirty stuff haha🤣

It has been cold here today, lots of rain, and just now I heard thunder! Lovely!

You sound like me, my dad tried to teach me, then let go! Well that was it! Even at school I was terrible, refused to jump in to get my red badge! Not even from sitting down. I began to have lessons at about 12, but the terror had set in really, so the instructor had a tough time. I just about learned to do basic front crawl (head up). When the girls were little on holiday I used to be terrified of being splashed etc, I could never really play with them in water.

Because of my fears I made sure they started learning very young, 3yr and 18 months! They are both very good swimmers. After my treatment, I wanted to get fit, but because of my bones etc swimming was the only thing, so one holiday they all taught me to swim under the water, jump in, learning to dive, etc.

Jackie, why don't you give it a go? If I can, anyone can, seriously, I was such a scaredy cat in water, but now, I just love it. My only regret is, it took me to be in my 50's to do it. Go on! Do it! You can! Listen If you can fight cancer, and everything that throws at you what's a bit of water?....I will be looking forward to the day when I hear you say....'Hey guess what I did today....'😊

Oh yes, if you ever get the chance to go, do it, so fantastic, so much fun.

Going to have to put the spuds on, beef stew in the slow cooker...it smells so good, been going all day long.

Hope you have a peaceful evening, might try and catch up on some more dramas I keep missing.

Chat soon,

Lots of hugs 🤗

Lou xx

Hi Lou, thanks for your encouragement I really would love to swim like Nemo! That should be my goal! Do you know my ex bought a little motor boat when we were together and we used to go up the river in it with my gas canister operated life preserver! My then teenage kids couldn't believe I went on it haha.

2020 a year that always used to seem so sci-fi and in the future might be my swimmer lesson year then! I let you know if I’m brave enough then. Haha

You have had a busy few days! Sorry you had rain today it was pretty nice this morning but got cloudy this afternoon but no rain.

Have a good evening Lou.

Take care

Luv Jackie xx🙋‍♀️😘

• R747R747 Posts: 1

Hello, Robert

I'm new to this community - currently having chemo - and your message about your friend's poem was the first one I read! Your comment about it possibly being a song got me thinking - and I have tried to write a bit of music for it and turn it into a song. I would love you to hear it and have recorded myself playing the piano and singing it, although I hardly have any voice at the moment as I have a chest infection, but at least it would give you an impression. How can I send it to you (for your ears only)?

thank you for sharing the poem.

Rachel

@RobertA @Sunshine15 @Lesley

Hi Pals,

Hope this message finds you all ok?

How are you doing with the creative music Rob? I hope that you have had a good Easter.

Lou, I hope your time together over the Easter Break was good. Sounds like you were very busy!

Lesley I hope your ok after your meeting with the Nurse. Hope you still managed to enjoy your Easter.

Well, so I had a superb Easter and then my Son James, Lauren and kiddies came over for a fry up tea on Tuesday! All I could manage with my Tiredness after the previous chemo. Still everyone loves a fry up although it was grilled apart from the eggs!

I found myself in hospital last night as my temp was raised and Neutraphils are all time low 0.6! My chemo couldn’t go ahead and I got admitted at 9pm in to A&E first then at 2am was given a bed the staff on the cancer ward had saved for me bless them. Was worried I would loose it! Poor Norm didn’t get to bed till 3.30! My next chemo is delayed two weeks to try and get my Neutraphils up! I said is it my fault should I have rested more and they said nothing you can do to influence it, all part of chemo! Lovely! 🥴

O well chums it seems I will rest! 😀

Take Care All.

Luv Jackie xxx

@R747

Hi Rachel

Great to hear from you and welcome to our lovely friendly group.

So sorry to hear that you are having to undergo chemotherapy. I hope that you are coping OK. A lot of our members are going through it and will love to chat with you.

I am so excited to hear that you have written some music for Ron’s poem - he will be very flattered. I will write privately and give you my contact details.

Rob x

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie

How lovely to hear from you. So pleased to hear that you had such a lovely Easter with James and the family.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your hospital stay. Please make sure you don't risk catching any infections - keep your head down and rest. You are very special to us you know. 🥰

I did have some music for Ron’s poem, but Mary said it was boring so I have torn it up and started again. I did tell her that I am no Ed Sheeran but her expectations are very high💽 haha.

Have you seen @R747 Rachel’s post. I am looking forward to hearing her song. We are really getting a lot of musicians on board now. Perhaps you can spend your resting time thinking up that name for us - and watch out for the naughty step.

Lv Rob x

@R747

Hi Rachel,

How lovely that the first message you read was the poem Rob posted, and even better you went away and put it to music, that is brilliant! Music to my ears!

What an introduction you had to our lovely community, you are very welcome here and I hope you will get to know us all very soon. Even though cancer will try and do otherwise, we do have a lot of fun here, the friendship, support and encouragement everyone gives is fantastic. I hope you find it so too.

How are you doing with the chemo? Sorry to hear you have an infection, I hope they get on top of that soon for you. There are so many here who have gone through or going through a variety of cancer treatments, whatever it is you are experiencing, you will find a lot of understanding here.

Hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x

@jacksprat_x1 , @RobertA , @Lesley

Hello lovely friends!

Jackie, are you still in hospital? I thought you had gone a bit quiet, I was going to message you to see what was happening. Really sorry to hear those jolly neutrophils are not playing ball, you must be exhausted now too after that very late night. Definitely, rest is in order, no going down the club at night, they will have to wait for you until you are stronger. Wonderful to hear you had a lovely Easter break with the family though and the weather was so lovely and warm, it made a big difference.

We were busy, ferrying Hannah around, bless her, and I am still painting, but doing the woodwork now, so far so good!

Rob, I love Ed Sheeran, if you can write like him, they'll be no stopping you! haha.

Wonderful that Rachel has joined, another musician to join our merry band!

Lesley, you need to post some pics of those lovely ducklings please, that would cheer us all up too. Thank you! 😊.

Just Mark and I at home tonight, one is seeing the new Avengers movie and the other is working, no wine though as both on taxi duty later...we were just saying feeling the parent pressure again today, it doesn't go away does it when they get older, just changes shape!

Gorgeous sunshine, the start of lovely sunset emerging...colours are fabulous. Just sharing what's outside my window! 😊

Chat soon,

Lou xx

Hello Evertone! Hope you up are all ok! Oh Jackie I didn't know you have been in hospital! I do hopefully you are ok now! I don't know where I've been posting but found you all now! My phone is really up the creek! As i am typing is about 10 secs behind me! So frustrating iPad on charge will post to all you lovely people later!😘

@Lesley @RobertA @jacksprat_x1 , @Anneb

Good morning Lesley, yay, you found us,mind you we are all over the place, haha!! Hope you are feeling good today, chat soon!

🤗🤗

Lou xx

Hello Everyone! IPad charged now! Bit fed up daughter and partner up to see me but both have a virus and frightened to come to the house! They are staying in a hotel 10mins away with the fearsom miniture hound Charlie! I could cry! They are so scared that they are going to pass it onto me with me starting the new treatment on Monday!🙁 So going to deliver my present tomorrow, won't come in ,will have to see them through window! Daughter such a worrier that I have to go along with it! 😕

Never mind hope you all ok? Watching snooker at mo, just cooked meatballs , they went a Bit floppy! Just not my day!😭

Just tasted floppy meatballs! Lovely! 😋xx

edited April 27

@Lesley and all

Hi Lesley

Oh no, what a shame.😕 Don't blame them though, they are obviously very caring and you are very precious so it is best to be safe.

Those meatballs sound good, chilli and Shiraz for me. Mary does not drink red so all the more for he who does🍷🍷🍷 Hic.

Rob X

Lovely! I love chilli! Being really naughty spose to be drinking loads of water! I have tried! Will try better tomorrow! Yes it's so frustrating knowing my daughter is 10 minutes away! Life just keeps on throwing things our way! Never mind ! Enjoy your chilli! Anymore news on your song? and when can we hear it? And has Rachael been in touch? I hope so! Any news from Jackie? I'm thinking of her, chemo can be so brutal! Speak to you soon take care! Xx

Hi all,

lovely to read all your posts LesleyRobLou.

I’m really tired can hardly keep my eyes open 😢Lesley I know exactly what you mean about seeing your daughter. I haven’t seen my Mum for ages either she has been I’ll with pneumonia . I’m usually first call in the family but my brothers had to take over! I stopped outside my mums and spoke to her from inside the car window. It broke my heart bless her!

well I’m in hospital with Suspected Sepsis. When I had my antibiotics into my Picc Line I got a Sepsis Shower what ever that is. Side effects applenty!

Waiting on 48 hr blood tests! Might be home on Monday.

Take care all. Speak soon

Lv Jackie xxx🙋‍♀️