Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Post chemotherapy joint pain

CatCat Posts: 2

Hi ,

I am just under 5 weeks from my last session of Chemotherapy ( Fec-t) and I am experiencing joint / muscle pain

feet ,calf , lower back, hands ,fore arms and across shoulder and neck

It is usually towards the end of the day and is worst when I have been active Anyone else out there had the same ? Heat helps relieve the pain

thanks S

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cat ,

I found when I had chemo, I too had FEC-T, that I had a lot of pain in my joints and muscles. So it doesn’t surprise me that you are experiencing these symptoms. I would definitely speak with your oncologist when you next see them. I had a lot of difficulty in my feet and legs which had a big impact on my mobility.

Keeping active will help in the long term, I found swimming after my treatment, and because I am in the water, it is low impact on my bones and joints.

My oncologist arranged for me to have a dexa scan which measures bone density, I have them yearly, next one is tomorrow actually! She also arranged xrays , physio, mri’s as I seemed to get worse over time not better! While you are still under the oncologist let them know everything, hopefully they are as good as mine were.

I am almost three years since the end of treatment, in the last nine months I started to see an improvement. So take heart, it may take a while, but should improve.

What is next for you in your treatment plan?

Welcome to the group, there are many here with breast cancer, and also everyone, whichever cancer it is, really understand. It is a supportive friendly place, hope to get to know you soon.

I hope you are having a good day,

Lou x

• CatCat Posts: 2

Hi Lou

Thank you for your quick reply

Next stage for me is Axillary Node Clerance op this Sunday then Radiotherapy

My next Oncologists appointment is around the end of May

By then the hair should be a good length so I won’t look like a cancer patient 😁 then I’m off to a spa to celebrate 🥳

Cat x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cat

Hi Cat,

Oh wow, surgery on Sunday, I will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Radiotherapy during May? You will hopefully find it easier than chemo, it is less daunting.

I’m sure you look beautiful, hair or no hair! I have never been to a spa, but I’m sure you will have a wonderful pampered time, you should be thoroughly spoiled!

Chat soon,

Lou x