Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

Best way to support my family?

igoreto36igoreto36 Posts: 1
edited May 2020 in Carers Corner

Both my grandfather and my aunt died from Cancer a couple of years ago and I can still see my family suffering because of this. Specially my mum has suffered a lot since then so I’m keen on doing whatever I can to support her.

What’s the best way for me to support my family through this? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• OJW1402OJW1402 Posts: 1
    Hi, 

I went through a similar situation with family and found the best way to help was to keep both myself and my parents preoccupied. Try to minimize the amount of time spent sitting around by organizing plans/ taking days out. 

I also found talking to them openly was really helpful. It's comforting knowing you are not the only one suffering and can often help to start heal the wounds. 

I hope some of my solutions work for your family! 
  • Hatter88Hatter88 Posts: 3
    edited October 2018
    igoreto36 said:

Both my grandfather and my aunt died from Cancer a couple of years ago and I can still see my family suffering because of this. Specially my mum has suffered a lot since then so I’m keen on doing whatever I can to support her.

What’s the best way for me to support my family through this? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Stay n touch and talk often. Just a quick phone call/chat will make a huge difference to their day. I've found this made a huge difference to my family. I hope things improve for you all  <3
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, so sorry your family have suffered this loss. Don't be afraid to talk about them, share memories, funny stories, happy times, even their little ways that may have been annoying (we all have them!). Tears may fall, but they will help the healing process of grief. I lost my sister, mum and dad to cancer, then I got it. My remaining sister and brothers and I talk about them. My sister struggles more than me, encouraging her to look up and not down is important. I know they would not want us to be spiralling into despair. I hope things become easier for you all.