Mindfulness tips and tricks to send you to sleep!

hessomhessom Posts: 104 Community Admin

Getting to sleep when you’re suffering from the wide ranging symptoms of cancer treatment can be a real struggle for lots of people. Practising mindfulness techniques is often recommended to help you unwind both mentally and physically, be it using breathing as a tool or positive affirmations - what do you think about this? Have you tried any mindfulness techniques that have worked?

Tagged:

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I have only recently started a course on mindfulness operated through MacMillan Cancer Support so it is early days for me at the moment.

At 73, I am somewhat older than the other participants and when the course leader rolled out a mat and meditation cushion for each of us to squat on with our legs crossed, I was a bit alarmed. Fortunately, she told us that sitting in a chair can work just as well as long as we set aside some time and space for it.

The aim of mindfulness is simply being in the present moment so that your head is clear and not concerned about what is going on around you. Of course, it is not that simple as the mind tends to wander off but we were told to just keep returning to the present moment and with practice, we will succeed. We tried it for ten minutes which was interesting as the room was so quiet that I could hear a clock and the slight ringing of mild tinnitus in my ears.

We were then told to pay attention to the physical sensation of breathing ~ to breathe in deeply through the nose and out through the mouth. Once again, we found our minds wandering to other thoughts, but the leader said not to worry or judge ourselves, just return to paying attention to,our breathing.

I guess we all know how hard it is to nod off when our heads are buzzing with thoughts, so it seems obvious that we will be able to sleep better if our minds are clear and in the moment.

I am practicing mindfulness for ten minutes each night before I go to bed and I will let you know how I am getting on in a week or so.

Rob