Tell us about your sleep routine

hessomhessom Posts: 104 Community Admin

Sleep is an ever important aspect of our health, and a healthy sleep routine is often only complicated by cancer, how many hours of sleep do you get a night? Or maybe you’re sleeping more in the day? How have things changed since your diagnosis and treatment? Tell us all about your sleep routine!

Tagged:

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I am terrible at establishing a good sleep routine!

I tend to find that I end up falling asleep or dozing off whilst watching TV or relaxing! My family are always telling me, Mum you’re falling asleep! No I’m not is my reply, or I am listening, with my eyes closed! 😂 Terrible!

Yet, when I go to bed, I find it really hard to settle, my brain suddenly comes awake, and I’m thinking of all sorts of things, but I am aware I am physically tired.

I have tried lovely warm baths with lavender bubbles etc, the danger there is I actually have dozed off in the past! Plus I’m then far too warm.

I know switching off technology, screen time, TVs, phones etc before bedtime is meant to help, I do like to read in bed, generally start to nod off which you’d think is a good start, but it doesn’t last! Haha. Not sure how I am still standing! Haha

I would love to hear what others do, especially if it works!

Lou x

• FloG88FloG88 Posts: 4

I have a good sleep routine, I’m in bed by 10 most nights and my alarm is set for 6 during the week (though I have children that wake anywhere from 5 onwards) however I’m always awake in the night, I’m pretty sure it’s the steroids the doctor has given me!

I wake up hot and sweaty, wide awake and my mind starts wandering no matter how tired I feel and I can’t switch off.

I do have a journal that I’ve started writing in, that has definitely helped clear my head not just at night but in the day too, I literally write EVERYTHING down, all my worries, concerns and all the good things too! I also like to have a pamper before bed a few nights a week, hot bath and face masks, just a little bit of self love and me time 💕

Hi @FloG88 ,

I love your idea of keeping a journal. That is really useful to do, getting the thoughts out of your head onto paper is very effective.

Yes, I expect it is the steroids disturbing your nights too . Have you tried using a cooling pad in your pillow case to help keep you cool? I found them to be amazing for me.

Welcome to the group , it’s great you found us, everyone here is very friendly and supportive. I’m sure you will get to know us soon!😀.

Chat again soon,

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff it has been so helpful writing everything down definitely!

Oooh no no I haven’t thought I of a oiling pad, that’s a really good idea! I’ll have to look in to one, are there any you’d recommend?

Thank you! I’m hoping to get lots of help and support and be a be able to help and support others too :)

@FloG88

Hi, I hope you have had a good day.

Sorry for the late reply, I started to write earlier but got called away.

I found mine here actually, before the forum was started I saw an ad in FB and thought I'd give it a go. From the first time I used it, I noticed a huge difference, now it goes everywhere with me! ( Some of my exploits pre-cooling pad you can read in the Hot Flushes thread! Hahaha 😂.

That is so great you are thinking of others whilst going through this yourself. I am sure you will be a great encouragement to others. I hope you will find here support and help for yourself. Always happy to chat anytime, we may have been diagnosed with different cancers but many of the side effects and impact on our lives are very similar.

I hope you get a better night's sleep, these warm days and evenings, although lovely do make night-time tricky.

Chat soon,

Lou 🤗😀

@Sunshinedaff ah that’s ok, thank you for taking the time to reply :)

oh fab! I’ll have have a look in the shop! I haven’t had much chance to chance to look on the site much yet. Do you use anything else to help with sleeplessness?

Oooh ill check out the other app! haha

Thank you, I really appreciate that :)