Working during chemo

I worked last year when I was on chemo for 6months but to be fair mine was tablets not as severe as other treatment but I had good / bad days my boss was great but everyone is different so you will have to see how your body reacts xx

Comments

• AlimacAlimac Posts: 2

My chemo was on Thursdays. I wouldn’t work until the following Wednesday ( but just a few hours). The second week after chemo I went in usually for shorter days. The third week after chemo I was back full time. Then we would start the process all over again!!!

• FloG88FloG88 Posts: 13

This is me currently. I have been told I have secondary breast cancers and my chemo this time is tablet form. The first time round 2 years ago I had chemo through a picc line, I was self employed at the time so luckily I could still work on my “good” days and not on my bad. This time I have a part-time job (who are being amazing) and thankfully because it’s all tablet form I am able to (so far) carry on as normal, though everyone tells me I should be resting!!

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 265 mod

@FloG88

Hi, I am really sorry to hear about the secondary diagnosis, it is great you have great understanding employers. If you are able to carry on working for a while it is good, but being mindful of not exposing yourself to picking up germs and infections from others. Resting in between is important, I don't know about the tablet chemo, but I am guessing there will be some side-effects or changes from it. Everyone is different, there is no right/wrong way of dealing with it, you find a way through that works for you.

Lovely to meet you, I know we have chatted on another thread, great to have you here, hopefully you will find it a place of support, understanding and friendship. It is always good to chat to others who are in, or have been in a similar place to you, and not feel like you have explain yourself because we get it.

I hope you continue to do well with the chemo tablets and that you have a god day.

Chat soon,

Lou x

@LouiseJ

Hey Louise

my work have been amazing, I initially had a lot of time off while I was in hospital working out what was wrong and not once have they caused any issues for me. I know they can’t not really but it helps knowing they are being understanding about appointments and things, it’s a relief.

Yes this is my worry, though I also have 2 young children so I’m open to a lot of germs and things as it is already. I’m not very good at the whole “resting” thing, this is something im really struggling with. I only work part time and usually like to do all my little jobs before getting the kids, but I’ve found it really wears me out.

Thank you you’re being really supportive and lovely, I appreciate it. It’s so nice having a place to just open up and know other people kind of understand!

Speak soon :)

Leah xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

@FloG88

Hi Leah

Yes, its lovely to know that your employers are so understanding. It does take a bit of pressure off.

Wow, you do keep busy. No wonder you get so tired.

Hope you are enjoying a relaxing weekend in this lovely weather.

Rob x

@FloG88

Hi Leah,

You just be run off your feet most of the time with working and a young family! I hope your half term week has gone ok, how was the strawberry picking?

Yes, I expect those school germs make their way home on a regular basis! I used to work in a first school, mostly in Reception class, oh the germs! haha. I had to stop working when I was diagnosed, it was September and the new children had started. The risk of germs was too great. It was always the way, new children bring in their new germs, all the staff go down with colds and sickness etc..haha.

I guess one way of looking at resting, is to see it as being proactive in you get through this, plus starting a new hobby or something will help too, so that you are not just 'sitting', it may make it easier. Although I do fully understand sitting down is not a common occurrence with young children! Unless it's story time at bedtime!

Pace yourself Leah, spread the jobs out over the week. I am sure that's what they did in the old days, you know, Monday was wash day, Tuesday was dusting , Wednesday carpet beating (I used to help my mother do that!😂 hahaha) etc, etc.

I hope today is relaxing even if not particularly restful, given back to school tomorrow, so school stuff needs to be ready.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

half term has been lovely, but very busy! I’m definitely feeling it today! Strawberry picking was lovely, followed by a cream tea! Yum

Ah that’s such a shame you had to give up after your diagnosis, but totally understandable. It’s so difficult staying away from germs at the best of times!

Pacing myself isn’t something Im good at, I like it all done in one go! Haha. But yes I do need to learn to spread things out, it will definitely help with feeling less tired!

Bit more of a relaxing day today as we are at my mother in laws, yesterday was spent decorating our littlests bedroom so I need a chill day today!

I hopefully you’re having a nice chilled weekend :)

@FloG88

Hi Leah,

Very glad to hear you are having some rest today, letting others do things around you. It sounds as if you have been as busy as me, and I'm not having treatment! Yesterday we cleared out the greenhouse, I wanted to clean it and then decorate it. Also gardening. But we have been driven in now as heavy rain here now, so no more today, which is probably just as well really. Got the tennis on, dinners sorted for later, got a lovely chilled glass of sparkle to help the afternoon along! 😉.

Enjoy your rest too!

🤗

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

oh yes! A day at the mother in laws is a full on chill day, bless her.

Oh we were meant to have rain but we only had one downpour this morning! I am struggling feeling extremely warm today though!

Oooh a lovely glass of sparkling!! That sounds like a perfect afternoon!!