Home Cancer Forum Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

The Future

Hello. I’m currently having treatment for grade 3 triple negative invasive ductal cancer and have been very unwell with the chemotherapy. I’m due to have my last chemo next week and am dreading the side effects once again! But hey it’s the last time. I’m due surgery in April followed by radiotherapy. I am hoping to be cancer free but admit I’m scared of the future. Will it come back? I’m always going to feel scared and worried I feel. I’m sure this is a natural feeling to have? Does anyone else have these feelings?

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

@Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

I know from your earlier post that you have already coped with so many chemotherapy treatments and it will be a relief to get your last one out of the way. You still have surgery and radiotherapy to come. It is a lot to cope with and of course, you are worried. I have not been through nearly as much, and I have had quite a battle with anxiety and depression in the past. The good news is that you do get through it and you get used to the feeling of vulnerability that always goes with a cancer diagnosis.

I am delighted you have found this Community. We may have different cancers, but most of us will recognise the feeling of being scared and worried and we are here to give each other support and encouragement.

If you have a MacMillan Cancer Support in your area, it is worth popping in for a chat. They have given me so much support. My wife is a volunteer at Jersey Hospice and they also have get togethers, discussion groups, craft events, and tea and cakes. It makes a difference. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lorraine ,

Hi Lorraine,

If you have decided to go for your last chemo after all, well done! You are very brave, as you say it is the last one. You have come this far, even though it has been awful for you. This bit is so very close to being over. I really do understand what it is like. Then you can look forward to some recovery before surgery. I know, not much consolation, but it is the little things that will help to make a difference.

You are most definitely not alone in worrying about cancer returning, it is a very natural feeling to have. The way you feel now is completely normal. Every little symptom, lump or bump has us questioning 'is this it?' But once your treatment is complete and hopefully successful, as time passes, on a day by day thing, you will find it's not always in your head. Almost three years later for me, and although I have had long-term issues with side-effects, I don't wake up fearing it returning. It will take you time to adjust afterwards, to find a new way of living.

You still have a long way to go, so for now, concentrate on getting through each day. Plan something 'nice' for when you have finished everything, then you can have something 'actual' to look forward to.

Come and chat here, you will find a friendly ear, and others who understand.

We also talk about things other than cancer, which is really great. Come and join in on our crazy, nutty chats and laughs.

What day are you going for chemo next week? Will be thinking of you.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope you are having a restful weekend,

Lou x