Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Friday Fun! Random thoughts for a Friday afternoon!

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Cancer Coffee Break

Hi to everyone, it's come around again...and yes, today is Friday, last week for me Friday was on Thursday, but this week I am on this planet!

(ooh, those words remind me of 'This week I 'ave mostly been eating armadillos' in a west country accent, 😂 hahaha, made myself chuckle! In case you are not familiar, that is from The Fast Show, very funny tv show).

Earlier today, I found myself thinking about our garage! Sad isn't it! My thought processes are nuts at the best of times. These are some of todays random thoughts!😁🤣

It all started recalling a conversation yesterday about organ donors, and how the House of Lords is about to pass a bill that says if you don't specifically opt out, you're in, which led to a discussion about being buried or cremated (don't, I know!!🤣). Then I thought about the garage and wondered if I really ought to sort it out, rather than one horrid day, leave it to the family. Don't be sad, I am not being morbid, just my train of thought.

I was thinking I wonder if other people have a garage like ours, you know all neat and tidy, spic and span 😂😂.

My husband describes our garage as his nemesis! or a black hole!

I could paint you a picture, or show you a photo, except that would be toooo embarassing! hahaha.

I know mostly where everything is, and what is in most boxes...mostly. I admit there are some areas that are rather reluctant in being forthcoming with their contents at first glance! hahaha. But lets just say, it's a double garage, yes, room for two vehicles! Are there any vehicles ? No! Don't be daft! It is used a storage place for really important stuff that really can't be thrown away!! I am sure some of you might understand!!

Photographs, books, school books, photographs, children's toys, pram , cot , photographs, garden stuff, furniture (that house photographs), two fridge freezers, tumble dryer, bicycles, family history stuff, jigsaws, cross stitch stuff, roof boxes (yes, plural!) have I mentioned photographs? No? Yes, them too! Hahahaha. 😄

My sister says she'd would come and sort it out for me, but I know what that means, a sentence with the word 'skip' in!!

Her garage is an office, so still no vehicles, but also no 'stuff'. hahaha.

So, what's your like? Anyone going to confess theirs is like ours, maybe yours is home to a gym, or a granny annex!

Whatever its like, I hope you feel better about it, because you know its not like mine!!😆

I think I need a lie down, or a biscuit...now where's the cookie jar??

…..I have a feeling they wouldn't want my body anyway, not after its been nuked and chopped. Maybe I could donate it to cancer research?.....Oh, and buried!!! 🤣🤣🤣 You heard it here first!😂

Lou xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Yes, it really is Friday again. The weeks seem to fly by so fast when you get to my age. Soon be Christmas. 🎉

I love your posts Lou, they are so much fun. I think the Off Topic idea was great.

Our house is Victorian. It is beautiful but we don't have a garage so my much loved Mercedes lives on the street.☹️ We don't actually use it much because we are within walking distance of the shops, restaurants and beach and we also have bus passes. The Merc is 9 years old and has only done 12,000 miles. I always say it is my last car and people laugh, but I mean it. 

So, all our old stuff ends up in the loft.  I remember when we first bought the house, there was a broken skylight and the loft was home to a family of pigeons. They were very comfortable because our neighbours used to feed and water them after which, they would come home to the loft. We were not too happy, not least because they were not toilet trained and the place was a mess. We could not persuade them to leave so we contacted a vermin control guy who came round with a big wooden box which had holes in the sides. He switched the lights off in the loft after which, we could hear all this banging and crashing going on. Eventually, he came back down, and all of the pigeons were in the box and peering through the holes. Mary had a sudden pang of guilt and asked if they were going to be set free. The man said, 'Don't worry lady, they won't be coming back.' He was pretty shabby and unkempt so I gave him a £10 tip only to see him drive off in a brand new Range Rover. 

This is my favourite room. It is Robert’s Room. I go there when Mary is watching Coronation Street and East Enders on TV.

Ha ha, Lou, can’t imagine anyone will want my body either. Even my eyes have plastic lenses. My disposal instructions are in the special book I bought from Amazon UK. It is called ‘I’m Dead Now What.’ I’ve even detailed the music I want, it's by Lesley Garrett, the Doncaster Diva. I’m in love with her. Don’t worry, Mary knows that and she’s not bothered.

By the way, my Q and A about my journey through prostate cancer is on the LiveBetterWith blog now if anyone is interested.  https://livebetterwith.com/blog/category/your-stories/

Have a wonderful weekend.

Rob xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob And Lou,

I’m laying here in my thoughts in the early hours as usual and am being very amused by your exchanges! It’s so good to be thinking of something else other than the two C words!

Lou, I remember 20 years ago I had to rapidly clear out a loft, due to house sale, necessitated by my husband of 25 yrs deciding to go orf with the girl in the office! I was working and my dear Dad said don’t you worry we will get a skip and the boy (15 yrs) will help me. It will be done by the end of the day. I knew that if I had to decide what could go after 29 years of sentimental attachments all that would go would end up in an orange box! According to my son James it moved rapidly. Grandad, he said, think we ought to let Mum have a look at those School Photos, First Baby Shoes, toys and many similar items squirrelled away for when they had children of their own and wanted to compare haha!

“No boy, in the skip, your Mum needs to move on”!

Fortunately it was a long time before the shellshock of that life change sunk in! The first one I think was the realisation that all the beautiful Xmas decorations, many collected at Xmas markets in Europe had mysteriously disappeared! The times we said “Grandad”! But in his defence I could have never have sorted through the Chaf! You would think I had learnt a lesson from that but o boy you should see my loft. I am grateful I don’t have a garage! I married Norman afterwards and we suddenly had two houses to sell and bring the contents into one and so we started again filling a loft up. I sometimes lie in bed and think of the weight above our heads.! 🥴Whilst on the subject of morbidity I have decided what my “wishes” are and got them out of the way the other day. Not a conversation my dear Norm expected I think but a resting place in a Woodland near my dear little first grandson Archie, who tragically didn’t survive his journey into this world at 41 weeks. Nanny will rest with him there, close by. Now of course I have no intention of that being any time soon!!

Sometimes my Son James and Daughter Amber will say didn’t we have a Lego ...., or a Snarf toy (Apparently this stuffed Thundercats toy is worth a fortune now) and we laugh and say “Grandad”. I do feel sad that my darling four grandchildren can’t see what delights we saved for them from the toy chest, but then they never will know what they missed and don’t go short! Haha. I think my kids would actually thank me for not passing on more loft things to theirs!

Have a lovely weekend all. I’m resting up having just had first Chemo. Another of life’s little shell shocks!

Lv Jackie x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

@jacksprat_x1

Cooey!! Morning Jackie,

Haha, and we meet again here! Coffee's still good!

I love your story, you made me laugh, Grandad sounds so much like my dad! I remember, I had left home, but like most kids had left most of my stuff in my 'home' bedroom or in the loft. My parents were divorcing, finally, and dad decided to clear out the loft. Except he didn't mention it to anyone, until it was too late. Down the road, he tells me how he found a lot of my stuff, and I replied 'great, I'll keep that', to which he replied.'.mmm, no you won't !' haha.

The worst offence was..(and feel free to laugh at me), he threw away, all of my beloved Bay City Roller memorabilia!! Now I know I wasn't going to wear my Woody jumper anymore (knitted homemade by moi), or the school shoes that I painted to look like Eric's, or need the hundreds of badges, fan books, magazines I lovingly drooled over!!! But that isn't the point!!! 😂🤣. I was very upset, hahahaha.

Now I am embarrassed, what a confession!! 😝

As well as the garage, we also have two lofts, one at each end of the bungalow we live in. Mark loves those too!! Christmas is up there!!

Maybe that is why I keep so much too, so my daughters will have things to show their children one day, haha. Unfortunately, I think I may have passed on my 'squirralling' technique onto them, in fact, my youngest is worse! Not good!

Bless you, that is so sad about your grandson Archie, but that is a lovely thought to know you will be with him.

We decided that we would be 'togever', well Mark isn't bothered, but my youngest wants us to be together, haha, so there's sort of a plan hatched in the last 48 hours. Not on paper though. Of course like you, no intention of going anywhere for decades!

Lou xx

Haha Shalalang! I loved them too!! That was harsh! It could have upset your whole life balance! Bless him. 😎

Norm s still guilty of that at his Mum’s and he went in the RAF 42 years ago and has been out 37! Every now and again she says you will have to look at those weights and things to see if you want them love? I just keep quiet I really don’t think our loft will take the weight! It will bite him one day he will have to clear them out 😝

Lv Jackie xx

I was listening to a cd in the car yesterday, a 70's one, and they played Shang-a -lang, I told Phoebs, all about the tv programme I used to run home from school to watch!😆

Clearly, I haven't got over it, if I am talking about it now. I need therapy!😂

Lou xx

It was quite a phonomen wasn’t it?

It’s a good thing really it is haha 😂 honestly haha 🥴 xx

Yes, it was, I was such a huge fan! I remember entering this competition to go on holiday to Bermuda with them, haha, I was so upset when I didn't win it.😂🤣.

Sorry for delay, I was accosted by Charlie!

Lou x

@RobertA

Morning Rob! Wakey wakey! Some of us have been up with the larks (Jackie @jacksprat_x1 and I)!

When you decide to come over, come via Poole, then you can drive past our house to get up north, Mark would love to take the Mercedes off your hands in a heartbeat haha😉.

I love Robert's Room! I could do with one of those! Or Mark thinks he could! haha😊.

Hahaha, you pigeon story is so funny!  'Don't worry lady, they won't be coming back.'  Reminds me of what people say when animals have to be put down...'no they've gone to live on a farm'😂. And yes, you can never judge a book by the cover, clever angle that, turn up in shabby clothing! 😉.

Lesley Garrett! haha, whenever I think of her, I remember her being in Masterchef, and breaking into song all the time, the girls and I would cry laughing.

I'm going to have Dancing Queen by Abba as one of mine, and I'd love it if it was like the wedding in Love Actually! It's just a shame I won't be there, joining in! ....Or will I ???😆

I saw the Q&A blog post, it is brilliant! Great to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer. Well done!

Are you awake yet??

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Just about awake. Ha ha.

will write this afternoon.

Rob xx

@LouiseJ @jacksprat_x1

Now come on ladies. Bay City Rollers. Really!!

My era was the late 50s and early 60s. Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and Dusty Springfield were my favourites. Dare I mention Frankie Vaughan? 🎩 I still have a lot of my old records and they are all in top condition. My favourite is Elvis’ Golden Records from 1958.

Hey Jackie. You sing🥰🎵🎵🎵 🎤 I’ve been looking for someone to sing my new song. However, every time I mention it, people suddenly have a cold. Eventually, I sang it myself, with lots of echo and other tricks of the trade to make it sound at least acceptable. My Counsellor asked for a copy and then told me I have a lovely voice. Ha, ha, she is always telling me how great I am. I think its part of the treatment as I suspect your cats 🐱 🐈 probably sing better than I do.

Seriously, Jackie, it sounds as if you are part of a proper band. Fantastic. And as Lou said, we are not far from a group of our own.

Well, Mary and I have had a good walk today and I am settling down to watch the cricket 🦗 No not that one. That one 🏏. Ha ha.

Rob xx

@LouiseJ@RobertA

Rob, Glad you had a nice walk with Mary. Be careful cricket not that one haha, will send you to sleep! Haha.

Its a girl thing Rob Bay City Rollers! It’s the looks haha. For me it was the hair!

Rob we are only an amateur band. We were a band with 6 members but there’s now 4 of us. The other members had other commitments so decided to call it a day. We are all in our 60’s . One day I may send you a recording then you will see how amateur we are! Haha. That sounds good your song writing and singing. It’s good for the soul. What is your style do you think?

I love all music, especially loved seeing my best friends sisters and brothers, they had two different decades of children, a large family, getting dressed up with quiffs, winklepickers, makeup and hair taking us onto the lounge floor to jive with them! I think that’s where music all started for me in the 60’s prob aged 10-11. Wasn’t till last 6 years that I did something about it with encouragement from my husband and friends.

Enjoy your music Rob.

Have a good afternoon all.

Lv Jackie x

@jacksprat_x1 , @RobertA

Jackie, that sounds really fantastic, and so great you and Norman can enjoy it together, that's really special.

I have always loved music too, I would try my hand at any instrument. When I was at school the opportunity to learn the flute arose, so I was able to bring one home for the weekend, the only problem was we couldn't afford to get me one, so that was that. Until in the 80's when I was working and one of my colleagues was selling hers, so I bought it and taught myself for a long time, then paid for some lessons, got to about a grade 5 level. I didn't play again until my daughters had the chance to learn, we got a couple of cheap flutes for them, and off they went. I still have the original flute, Phoebe is using it now for her grade 7.

My eldest sister introduced me to pop/rock music, she was 7 years older than me so a lot of my tastes are really older than I am. I love a lot of different genres. Elvis was one of my faves when I was little, loved his music. Its funny, as my two actually know so many songs from decades ago, that they really love, only because we introduced them to it, and they have formed part of their childhood memories.

Quiet day here for me again...others gone to get food which is good! haha

Have a good evening ,

Lou x

@jacksprat_x1 @LouiseJ

Good evening fellow musicians.

Jackie, I would love to hear one of your recordings. I bet you are being modest. Perhaps I can send you mine. Music is just the best thing and making your own is brilliant. I am Johnny no mates musically and so I use Garageband to layer extra instruments into my recordings.

These days, I listen to soppy ballads and I rather like big band music too. I listen to classical music a lot and love opera. Lesley Garrett came to Jersey a couple of years ago and I was introduced to her. I was a babbling idiot and was lost for words for a change. 😍I’ve moved on from the Nolans, but still play their greatest hits when Mary is out. Ha ha.

Lou, last year, when we were in Manchester, we went to an Elvis concert where he was projected onto a big screen behind the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra who played live accompaniment. It was pretty good and Priscilla was on hand to chat about Elvis and his music.

Talking of food Lou, my chilli is nearly ready and I have a bottle of shiraz to open. Cheers🍷

Rob x

@Louise @RobertA

Hi Rob,

we will have to do an exchange! I’m having rest at the moment listening to a compilation of Show Musicals! Lovely!

Overdone it a bit at a family gathering to celebrate my daughter 38 and 2 year old grandsons birthdays. Was fun tho!

I love Elvis, I had heard about that superimposed Elvis screening, very good. I love Lesley Garrett she comes over very down to earth.

Norman plays with Garage Band sometimes. I will look at that now I have time to fill. Shame you, me and Lou can’t have a jam! Would be fun!

I used to live next door to any Opera Singer. I used to hear him practicing his scales! It used to get on my ex’s nerves but I loved it. I used to want to shout go on now give us a song! Haha!

Enjoy your Chilli and Shiraz sounds good. I’m still stuffed with naughty party food and I’m on a self imposed wine ban at the moment but I am tempted.

i am meeting up for a band practice in the morning. Looking forward to the rush of endorphins!

Have a good evening all.

Lv Jackie x

@RobertA @LouiseJ

Sorry copied wrong Louise

Hi Rob, 

we will have to do an exchange! I’m having rest at the moment listening to a compilation of Show Musicals! Lovely! 

Overdone it a bit at a family gathering to celebrate my daughter 38 and 2 year old grandsons birthdays. Was fun tho! 

I love Elvis, I had heard about that superimposed Elvis screening, very good. I love Lesley Garrett she comes over very down to earth. 

Norman plays with Garage Band sometimes. I will look at that now I have time to fill. Shame you, me and Lou can’t have a jam! Would be fun! 

I used to live next door to any Opera Singer. I used to hear him practicing his scales! It used to get on my ex’s nerves but I loved it. I used to want to shout go on now give us a song! Haha! 

Enjoy your Chilli and Shiraz sounds good. I’m still stuffed with naughty party food and I’m on a self imposed wine ban at the moment but I am tempted. 

i am meeting up for a band practice in the morning. Looking forward to the rush of endorphins! 

Have a good evening all. 

Lv Jackie x

Good evening one and all!

To my lovely comrades @Lesley (we love you Lesley, hang in there my friend, can't wait for you to come back, sending you lots of hugs), @RobertA, @jacksprat_x1 ,

Glass of sherry for me tonight, watching The Grand Tour on Amazon. Italian herb chicken for dinner, yum.

I hope you are resting Jackie, but lovely you were able to celebrate with your family. Precious times, especially with a two year old! How wonderful.

I think you two would put me to shame playing music, I don't know if I would be brave enough, haha.

Jackie I think it is brilliant that you are managing to take part in the band while on chemo, good for you. It is such a positive thing, punching cancer right in the face.

Reading about you listening to the Nolans, Rob, almost made me spit my sherry out laughing! haha. 😂I say almost, I'm not that silly! haha🤣.

Enjoy your evenings everyone, thinking of you all,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou, enjoy your treat. Sounds like a nice dinner.

I went to bed for a couple of hours, Norm helped me chop veggies, too cold and they start my side effect pins and needles off if I do it! 🥴 we made veggie curry, (he is a veggie) rice and toasted naans. I am so lucky it hasn’t affected my tase buds yet. Watching a bit of tv and looking forward to another good 💤

I feel I need to try and do what I can, whilst I can but my children have said, Mum next week rest, rest, rest! I will.

Night night Lou have a good rest too.

Lv Jackie x

@LouiseJ @jacksprat_x1

Mary's at Hospice today and 'I'm in the Mood for Dancing' Ha ha

Rob xx

Happy days xx

Hope the moderator does not ask me to remove the above xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahahaha 😂😂 😂😂

Well, she should!!! Hahaha, I will have to see what 'crimes' I have on my cd shelf!!

xx

@LouiseJ @RobertA

now look what you get up to when Mary is out Rob! 😘

Had 2nd good night sleep yes!

We had a very good practice this morning going to Folk Club tomorrow night all being well.

Have a good afternoon.

Lv Jackie xx

@jacksprat_x1 , @RobertA

Good afternoon Jackie and Rob!

Being able to sleep at night will be doing you so much good Jackie, I am really pleased.

You will have to record yourself and take a band selfie, so you can show us!

A bit brighter here, well in-between the hail showers! I am planning on returning to swimming tomorrow, hoping that won't be thwarted!

I don't have any BCR cd's they are all on vinyl, haha! I probably have a photo somewhere with all the gear on! To think of how I doctored my clothes, sewing tartan on everything, even my school uniform, I don't know how I got away with it! hahaha.

Enjoy your afternoons,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Good Morning Lou ,

We have some vinyl too! Apparently it’s coming back into fashion!

Thank you, I am finally sleeping so much better now. I expect my second round of chemo and steroids will put paid to that haha! But I feel a bit more energised to cope with it this time. I’m having it every other week for 6 mths.

I hope you get to enjoy your swim Lou. Are you feeling a bit better now?

Isn’t it lovely that the evenings are drawing out? We will soon be out in the garden of an evening sipping a nice drink.

I will dig some photos and videos of the band. I took photos of our band practice today. It was good to back into it again.

See if you can find a BCR photo if not too much hard work!

Have a good day.

Lv Jackie x

@jacksprat_x1

Morning Jackie!

Just made coffee, I was up at 4.50 with Lola walking all over me, I couldn't work out how she was there as Charlie wasn't on the bed( if he is not, they sleep in lounge with door closed). Managed to settle her, it's like having babies again.. hahaha!

Swimming is off, my ears are so bad today, I am wondering if I have an infection in my inner ear, I remember that happening before. Yesterday I thought it was on its way out.

It's beautiful here so I will get in the garden and potter, pick up pots again!!

Yes, I love the light mornings and the longer evenings. It is so good to have the light and sunlight.

Yes, I will look out some photos, I even know where they are! Haha.

I hope you are sat by a window enjoying the sunrise too, or from your bed.

Get some rest so you can enjoy going out this evening.

Have a good day, chat soon.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon,

sorry I was off the radar yesterday!

Thanks for your message.

Gosh Lola had you up with the Larks didn’t she! 😂

I’m sorry that your ear is still playing you up and you couldn’t swim. Will you need something to shift it?

Having had an active few days and a night out at Folk Club, first in 4 mths I’m taking it easy today and tomorrow. Chemo Friday again. Was lovely to catch up. Lovely music! I was grinning from ear to ear! I sang 3 songs with Nigel and Anne and sang a solo. Silver Dagger lovely song. Poor Norm was working so missed it.

I hope you can get a swim in next week Lou.

Take care love J xx

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie,

Had a mad day today. Had to fetch my daughter from uni to bring her home for a hospital appointment, then take her back again in time for her to do a shift in the SU Bar. Bless her, falling asleep in the car, but she is working til 3 am! I couldn't do it, not even when I was her age.

Hope you have had a good rest today, brilliant you had such a good time last night, that will do wonders for you.

Not sure about my ears, I may have to see dr, I thought it was improving. It will pass.

Chat soon, sleep well again,

Lou xx

edited March 2019

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie

Don’t know how you manage to do so much whilst undergoing chemo, though good music is so uplifting and I understand how lovely it was for you to sing with the group. I did not know the song ‘Siver Dagger’ but I found it on youtube by Joan Baez. Would love to hear your version.

@LouiseJ

Hey Lou

I get tired just reading your posts. Hope you have a lovely relaxing day tomorrow. .

Rob x

@RobertA @Louisej

Hi Rob,

I know I didn’t expect to being doing this and I was so worried in advance of it. I think I must be very lucky. We will see after no. 2.

Music is very uplifting.

Lou you have had a mad day! Hopefully you are in the land of nod now, which is where I’m now heading. Have Picc Line flush and dressing change and Blood Test tomorrow. Hopefully they will show its ok to have my second Chemo Friday.

Night night All.

Lv Jackie x