Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Mini hysterectomy

Hello,

I had Non-Hodgkins lymphoma of the cervix area, treated by chemo and radiotherapy in 2017, also my recent related surgery.

I’m seven days into my recovery process after having a mini hysterectomy - the removal of both Fallopian tubes and ovaries, as well as a complicated cyst.

The surgery first part of the operation went well, but due to my radiotherapy tissue and scaring the surgeons had to deal with a tear - causing me to loose a lot of blood and had to be packed until bleeding was controlled, taking considerably longer in theatre.

This all brings back the emotions of my cancer treatments and the worrying that all entailed. I am scared of pulling my tummy and causing any further damage. I am reliving the thoughts of what if I had no woke up from surgery... my emotions are all over the place.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@Chantelle13

Hi Chantelle,

It sounds as if you have been through a lot very recently. It is very early days in recovery from surgery, I am not surprised you feel all over the place. General anaesthetic does that as well as the surgery and cancer implications.

It isn't long since your treatment ended, and recovering from everything takes a long time. Not just physically, but emotionally too. It is very scary going through cancer, but often at the time we don't have a chance to deal with the fears and worries that accompany that. Afterwards, the fallout of it all can hit us.

I am hoping that you are resting, actually physically resting to give your body time to recover.

Chantelle, the wonderful thing is, the 'what ifs' didn't materialise. Your fears of not waking up were unfounded, the surgeon, anaesthetist, and medical team all did their jobs, to bring you through. Try not to focus on the fears of what might have been, because they amounted to nothing.

Are you still in hospital or recovering at home?

I am so glad you have found the forum, and you have the courage to share how you are feeling, I hope you will find encouragement here, and help that will help you recover and move forward.

Please come and chat anytime, about anything, there are always people here to chat to.

Chat soon,

Lou xx