Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Breast Reconstruction

I had right side mastectomy and reconstruction with gel implant straight after, 10 months ago. The reconstruction side is only half the size of my left breast so i still have to have a prosthetic breast in my bra. I was told when i had it done that it would be a little smaller but there is a big difference. I would like to know if anyone else had the same problem.

I am due to see the consultant in May so i am going to ask for a new implant that matches, another op but i need it done, even if i have to pay.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

Hi @Minksy

I had a mastectomy on the left side, but I decided not to have reconstruction in the end. It wasn't going to be done at the same time as the op, so I had time to decide afterwards.

However, 18 months later I did have a breast reduction to reduce the other side right down, I asked for it to be removed, but that wasn't possible.

I am sorry that you may face further surgery, but I do hope the consultant will be sympathetic to how you are feeling and sort it out for you.

Welcome to the group, I saw you have chatted on a few other posts, it is great to hear of your experiences, they are very helpful.

Hope to chat with you again,

Lou x

• CountryGirlCountryGirl Posts: 1

I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation followed by 5 yrs of Tamoxifen 20 yrs ago. Two yrs ago a mammogram showed 2 tumors in the other breast, so I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. On the previously radiated side the skin had been so thinned the reconstruction didn't work, so I have a prosthetic on that side. It's heavy, I have rib pain and I feel so damaged. The plastic surgeon keeps telling me he could do a latissimus dorsi surgery, but I took too much time out of work from what turned into 4 surgeries and at 64, I don't know if it's worth it. Plus then I'd have another scar on my back! Has anyone else had a similar experience? I don't want to use the same plastic surgeon, I've lost confidence in him. He stretched the skin so much that on the reconstructed side I went from a barely B to a D, and with the other side which he knew was thinned, I had to have a "revision" after the wound opened twice and is really a mastectomy. I'm concave on that side, no muscle left, just a layer of skin over ribs. I saw there is a breast reconstruction outfit in New Orleans that would use tissue from my belly (I had 3 kids, there's a belly still) but not sure I want to put myself through it again. And again, not enough sick time built up. Has anyone else gone through this? Is it worth it? I'd like to reduce the reconstructed breast, too, it's ridiculous!

• MinksyMinksy Posts: 11

My reconstructed side is about a cup and other side c cup.

I am seeing surgeon in may, i want a new implant, if he can not do it i am going private.

I am 70 but i need this done to make me feel better.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

Hi @CountryGirl ,

It sounds as if you have really been through such an ordeal, not just with the cancer, but also with the reconstruction. It does sound awful, I am so sorry for you.

You have been through so much already, I guess I would be asking how much does having reconstruction mean to you now? Obviously, that is a very personal question and a personal decision for you to make. How much difference will it make to your overall sense of well-being?

Given what you have described, I am not sure I would want to undergo more surgery. Is it possible for you to have an appointment with another surgeon before you make that decision? Talk through all of your options. Perhaps find out all the details about the other operation, I know it is a very long procedure.

I was offered two types of reconstruction, one using an implant, and tissue would be taken from my side/back, and the other where tissue would be from my abdomen. There was a year's waiting list for the second option. But I did decide in the end not to have any reconstruction, and I just had a reduction of the healthy side. For me, it wasn't important enough to undergo more surgery, it doesn't bother me to have a uni-boob. I very rarely wear my prosthetic one.

I do hope you get some satisfactory answers and results soon, that will help to make you feel more like you again.

Best wishes for continued strength and recovery.

Lou x