Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

What's everyone up to.....

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Cancer Coffee Break

What a glorious day it is today, I do hope it is the same wherever you may be.

Spent the morning baking, two lots of caramel shortbread, and a Victoria sponge.

Love spending time in the kitchen baking, such good fun. Homemade bread and hot cross buns next.

But for a break, have come out for coffee with my faves, gorgeous daughters and hubbie. Just chilling in a great little coffee shop.

A day like today makes me feel as though Spring is really on its way. Let's hope it isn't delayed! Haha.

Love to all,

Lou xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

@Sunshinedaff

Evening Lou and all readers,

Oh Lou, caramel shortbread and a victoria sponge. My favourites, along with carrot cake. I am SO jealous of your lovely family,

It has been an extraordinary warm and sunny day today. Mary and I strolled down to the beach at 11.am and stayed there until 4.pm. The beach was busy with families -children and dogs, all eating ice cream. (Well, not the dogs). Amazing. If this weather holds, we will drive to St Catherines in the morning and have breakfast outside the café in the Sun followed by a nice walk along the breakwater where we will take a photo to post. On a good day, you can see the Normandy coast and beach very clearly.

We need to be home for the Man U v Liverpool game though. Not too bothered about the Chelsea v Man City Cup Final later - those City boys ( the noisy neighbours) are just too cocky right now. Well, they are winning everything 😪

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Well sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday, I bet it looks beautiful in Jersey on the beaches.

I hope you are having a splendid day today again. It's a scorcher here, well almost! Haha. Beautiful. Others have gone for a walk, I'm in. Think I overdid it yesterday, feeling pretty rough today again. Taking it easy, in the main.

We watched some of the rugby yesterday, football?? No, not for me. Did your team win?

Chat later,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Hope you are feeling better after a well deserved rest.

We didn't bother with the car yesterday. There is too much traffic about in Jersey these days, especially on a nice Sunny weekend. It is only a five minute stroll to the beach from our house so we took our usual walk along the seafront instead.

Mary is at Hospice today. It is a lovely place, set on a hillside with great views over the sea. Another gorgeous day so some of the patients may sit outside for a while. Me. I have some jobs to do after lunch but I have had an hour in the garden so its a fair trade.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

We have another glorious day here too. I could live with this everyday. I am really not good in the winter! Haha!

I was on taxi duty again earlier to uni, but am now taking a break, having bashed my head again on the cupboard door ( it's a regular occurrence! ). Haha.

Have a great afternoon,

Lou xx

• GatorgirlGatorgirl Posts: 1

Wow. The positivity you 2 have is absolutely incredible. I'm new to this forum, well with any forum for that matter. I don't wanna go into details here about my issues as I've been cut off by numerous family members for being so negative & depressed. I am amazed at how y'all handle your situation. Thank you for the positivity and y'all just keep on keeping on. Say prayers for all of the people, including myself, who are still trying to find a way to cope and come out of our deep depression. Thank y'all and keep up the smiles. B4 my diagnosis, surgery & chemo I'd tell EVERYONE to pass around smiles each day by saying hello to everyone & that they'd see how great that'd make em feel. I now find myself trying to get back to that place but haven't yet succeeded. So thank you both for trying to spread encouraging and positive words to all. Tell your families that THEY are the lucky ones. God bless.

Hi @Gatorgirl ,

I am so sorry things have been so hard for you. It is incredibly hard to live life when diagnosed with cancer, saying it's tough doesn't even come close. I am truly sorry you have had such reactions from your family. I would just like to say, you are welcome to talk about how you feel here. No one is going to judge you or think you are weak because you are struggling with it all. I can honestly say there are many of us here who have struggled with depression. Even though I am mostly positive, I remember having some very dark days during my treatment, cancer does that and we need support to come through it. You have that support here, right now. If we can help you, either by chatting or anything, we will be here to encourage you and cheer you on. You do have my prayers too. I am really glad you found the forum, you are very welcome here. Everyone is very friendly, there are lots of conversations going on that you are most welcome to participate in if you like. Have a read through, many people have posted great stuff that is so helpful. Doesn't have to all be about cancer either, we chat about normal life stuff too, and we laugh. Because laughter is good for the body and soul.

Hahaha, I didn't realise how long this was!! Sorry for going on! Haha.

Anyway hope to chat with you soon.

Lou x

Hi @Gatorgirl

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time right now.

Being told you have cancer is a life changing experience. It is unlike almost any other illness and there is a lot to come to terms with. You have been through surgery and chemotherapy. Your body has been assaulted and it is not surprising that you are experiencing depression.

I got through my treatments pretty well and it was not until later when I realised the enormity of what I had been through that I fell into depression. I felt completely alone. Friends and family did their best, but they were not able to step into my shoes and understand how I felt in the way that other cancer sufferers can. They wanted me to be the same old Rob I was before, but I was dealing with lingering physical and emotional effects. in some ways I had changed and I knew that I could not go back. My wife and I became disconnected and our relationship came under strain.

My doctor realised that we needed emotional support and he introduced us to MacMillan Cancer Support who gave me love, tea and cakes and best of all, access to a wonderful counsellor who gives her time free of charge. MacMillans also chatted to my wife and we gradually found a way forward together. We now make sure that we enjoy life as best we can with long walks, eating out, going to the theatre, exchanging silly jokes and laughing a lot.

You should not have to cope with your depression on your own. If you have a cancer support group near you, it is worth popping in and having a chat. They are sure to be very helpful and supportive and may have access to a counsellor who can guide you through your depression.

By the way, my sister lives in Texas and the expression y’all is used there a lot. I’m guessing you are not in the UK, but I am often wrong.

There really is a way forward and I hope you will stay with out community and chat, moan, laugh and cry with us. As Lou @Sunshinedaff said, we are a lovely caring friendly group and we would love to have you with us.

Rob x