Pancreatic cancer support group

Today I accompanied my husband to The Purple Rainbow Support Group a pancreatic support group run by The Royal Stoke University Hospital. The topic for discussion was the use of Creon medication. A member of the Christie Dietetic department gave both a humerous and most informative presentation which was received well by the lively audience of patients and carers.

i would encourage anyone to attend local meetings, we were made most welcome and able to gain clarification on medication and diet. I also brought away with me some useful information leaflets. Everything doesn't have to be hospital based, our meeting was held in a meeting room in Marks and Spencer's so opportunity for some retail therapy as an added bonus!

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 259 mod

@SueP

Hi Sue,

That sounds like a really worthwhile gathering to attend. I am glad you both found it so helpful and informative, as well as hopefully meeting others in a similar position as yourselves.

I have heard from others chatting that Christie's is an excellent hospital especially for Oncology care.

I agree with you, meeting with others in our own local areas is a really good idea. I attend a coffee morning once a month at my hospital, run by the breast care nurses. They are always on hand to have informal chats with about any issues, for me, that has been great as they were able to refer me quickly to see a dr about an issue.

They also have visitors in to talk about things post-cancer, courses to help with recovery, exercise groups and sporting activities that are available to us etc.

And of course, lots of coffee, tea and cake!

I love it that yours is in your M&S, a spot of shopping is almost obligatory isn't it?! Plus soon, you could begin to gather a few holiday items! 😄

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @SueP

Thanks for posting this. Yes, it is good to attend support groups and great that you can go as a couple. Cancer affects both partners, and it is so comforting to face it together.

My wife and I attend monthly Prostate Cancer Group meetings at MacMillan and we have learned a lot, made friends and eaten a lot of cake ( not recommended in the diet advice) ha ha.

Enjoy your holiday.

Rob x