Bamboo headwear for using during chemo -

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had used the bamboo hats during chemo when hair loss has occurred?

When I was going through chemo, my choices were bobble hats, scarves or a wig. I didn't fancy a wig, as my daughter was too upset for that, it made it too real for her, so I bought lots of hats and scarves. However I did end up often in the situation where my head was either too hot or too cold and nothing in between. Finding the right sort of material hat was difficult.

Of course my chemo had finished before I found out about the bamboo hats, but when I saw them I thought they looked great to be honest. The material is meant to be very soft and breathable. I wished I had known about them before.

I think they are meant to be great for sensitive skin and scalps, which sounds amazing, especially as the scalp can be very tender during and after hair loss.

I know several people on here are at the start of their chemo journey's, and hair loss is imminent and/or very likely, so was thinking if anyone could recommend them as an alternative hat option?

Has anyone tried them?

What do you think of them? Are some better than others?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Lou x

Comments

• MinksyMinksy Posts: 8

I had the bamboo hats to wear in bed untill the last of my haie had fallen out. They are very soft and not too hot.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 338 mod

@PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara,

Have you found any other hats to help you? These ones might. Hope you are ok.

Lou x

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Lou,

I have bought some of the bamboo sleep hats they are nice and warm for bed.

I seem to have got into a pattern after chemo now, 1st few days .... zombie

2nd week which is now I pick up and loads of energy.

3rd week blood test, Oncologist then Chemo, start again!!!

Anyway I’m looking at it as my “friend” as it’s helping me to get rid of this “alien” in my boob.

Hope you’re keeping ok, the suns out here, so that makes you feel a lot better.

Take care,

Barbara xx

@PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara,

Oh I am so pleased you have found something that works for you, that is brilliant.

Also good you have got into a rhythm with this chemo lark too!

Your phrase about it being your friend, is perfect. It is designed to help you be rid of this trespasser, inviting itself in to your life. It is being evicted, even now as I write this.

It is another glorious day here too, very frosty start, but now feels very warm through the window.

I am well, apart from not being able to get rid of this cold, which seems to have mutated now into a ear/throat thing. I did too much on Saturday, which knocked me back.

I do find even now, that my energy levels get depleted rapidly still. It seems I am no longer able to have 'marathon' days anymore without suffering afterwards. But please ignore me in this, I still need to learn to pace myself more effectively! Haha! Overall, I am very well, and that is the main thing. 😊.

Have a good day Barbara,

Lou xx

• GemBGemB Posts: 2

Hi Everybody

New to this forum and new to Chemo. Still holding onto my hair but dont expect that to last ! Unfortunately spent the last week in isolation at local Hospital with Neutropenic sepsis but after antibiotics and 2 pints of blood and platelets was released on Saturday. Unfortunately missed my Oncology appt and my 3rd round of Chemo due to this time out so am hoping against hope this won't be a long setback.

Like you Lou my energy levels are iffy from day to day but am definitely trying to pace myself when doing jobs around the house (I live alone) however musn't moan , I have five great sons + wives and partners who have been fantastic since my diagnosis of Adenocarcinoma in my right lung. Maddening when I gave up ciggies 12 years ago to avoid this very situation but hey ho !

I am glad to have found this group I sense it will be very helpful as well as understanding the difficulties of dealing with Cancer.

Enjoy this lovely day one and all

Gemx

@GemB

Hi Gem,

Lovely to meet you, welcome to the community, I hope you find it a place of friendship and support.

I am sorry you have been so poorly on top of the cancer. I am sure as soon as you are able and your body has recovered sufficiently chemo will resume as soon as possible. Try not to worry about the delay, that will make it all worse for you. Just take things one day at a time, don't overdo it at home doing jobs etc. I know it is difficult sometimes to sit still and rest, especially when you can see everything that needs to be done. What might help is to do something completely unrelated and 'hobby-like'. Perhaps you could ask your family to get you some colouring books that are very popular, I spent hours doing that. It is very relaxing and calming. Or maybe you have hobbies and interests already that you can do? The main thing is to see your 'resting' as being productive and essential to helping you get better.

Please come and chat about anything whenever you feel like it, there are people joining in every day, it is a friendly, supportive group.

I hope you have a peaceful, restful day. I wish you a continued, speedy recovery from your recent illness.

Chat again I hope,

Lou x

• GemBGemB Posts: 2
    edited February 27

Thanks Lou

Both for the welcome and the very helpful advice. Definitely taken on board. Hope this glorious day finds you well

Talk soon

Gem x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Gem, @GemB ,

Sat in the garden with a cup of tea, with my daughter and two gorgeous cats playing.

😎😎

Lou xx