Welcome to Off-Topic

hessomhessom Posts: 109 Community Admin
edited February 14 in Cancer Coffee Break
We're introducing this category for those that want to talk about things non-cancer related, so whether you want to share a pictures from your day out, a funny cartoon you've recently seen or talk general chit-chat, this is the space to go off-topic!

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    Love this, a whole category to just chat about stuff that isn't related to cancer.

@Lesley @RobertA and everyone else, looking forward to having some chin-wags here! 
    Hope you are on the up Lesley, we are missing your lovely smile and good humour. :)

Lesley, when you started the Us as people thread, that was brilliant, because, we all still have lives, families, jobs etc going on even though cancer has reared its ugly head. 
    But now there is a whole category, dedicated to just that. 

So I'll start with a little bit about my day.

I am a bit spaced out, have been taking a LOT of cold meds since the weekend, I think it has affected my ears which in turn has affected my balance. It's very funny, this morning I managed to walk into a door really hard, fall over in the shower, fall over in the kitchen and bang my head on the sink. I decided after that it was probably best to stay sitting down for the day, until the school run. Not quite sure how I managed to do that either.

I decided I wanted to catch up on the new Endeavour, but got confused with the storyline, so thought it would be a good idea to watch the last couple of episodes from the last series. Where to go? ITV Hub, I spent four hours watching two previous shows to only realise at the end they were episodes from 2014!! What a waste of ****** time!  :s

I am still none the wiser!! And still haven't watched the latest episode! Am I nuts?? Oh yes, I think so!! :p  :p 

Anyway, that's enough of my drivel!, Looking forward to hearing from everyone else.

Lou x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12

Good afternoon @sunshinedaff and all our readers.

Wow, you have been in the wars Lou. I think you should just sit down and have a cup of tea.

It is a glorious day here and Mary and I walked three miles along the beach from our home to the little port of St Aubin where we had a nice sandwich and a huge Bakewell tart with a cherry on it - well, I did.

On the way, we came across these horses and dog taking advantage of the weather and quiet beach.

We could have walked back home but we are getting lazy and used our pension bus passes.

I played Mary my version of Roy Orbison's 'A Love so Beautiful' but she was not impressed. 😱 A bit like my brother in law when I played my latest song to him. He said. 'Well, it's better than I expected.' I don't think Ed Sheeran will be too worried!

Well, that's my day so far.

Rob x

@RobertA

Rob,

That's a lovely photo!

What a lovely way to spend the day.

I am so sorry your talents are as yet to be appreciated! 😀Don't let it stop you though, persistence wins the day!😄.

My day was less active than yours definitely. Still not well. More meds please! 😵

We had great excitement here in our location, although probably not good that we thought so, but we live in such a quiet sleepy area, that if anything does happen it gets everyone buzzing!

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Good evening Lou

Wow, you are having a tough time but as ever, you always keep on smiling. You are a tonic.

I wonder what the excitement in your village was. Perhaps it is best to keep it secret.⁉️

Yes, we do miss @Lesley and hopefully she will soon be on the up and feeling like a chat.

Rob x

@RobertA

Morning Rob!

Well we are bigger than a village but still in general terms very quiet! haha.

Let's just say it was on the news and people were allowed back into their homes eventually! But you know us Brits, the sense of humour and wit comes out very quickly, even though it is a very serious issue. It is just weird when it happens in your own backyard so to speak and in the very close we lived in for many years and know many neighbours, but not that one!!

Lou x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 286 mod

It's booked!

Our pre-Brexit wine shop to France is all sorted.

Even better, we have decided to make a weekend of it, and my two teenage daughters are soo excited. I'm just thrilled that they still want to hang out with us.

Going via the tunnel for the first time, the thought of that doesn't appeal, so won't dwell too much on that bit!!

Love, love, love France.

• LesleyLesley Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Hello my friends! Am better !down in Portsmouth at mo ! Didn't realise how much I missed it but sooo many cars! Catching up with family and friends but definitely feel tired keep falling asleep in the afternoon! Weather absolutely lovely! Oh Lou I do hope you feel better soon, I had vertigo for a while absolute nightmare! Yes definitely to do with the ears! Will post some pics on Sunday when we get back! Till then take care my friends! Xx

@Lesley

Ohh, so near yet so far from meeting for coffee! It is lovely down here isn't it. So glad you are having a good time, even though you nod off! Bless you. Hope Barney is better too.

Have a lovely weekend champ! 🤗😉

Lou xx

Hi @Lesley

Lovely to hear from you. Delighted you are feeling better. Tired is not so bad, I get that sometimes and don’t mind an occasional happy hour snooze in the afternoon.

We have been enjoying great weather here too. Roll on Spring.

Hi @Sunshinedaff

We love France and pop over in September every year. St Malo is only an hour away by ferry and we take our car and go somewhere different every year. Great that your daughters are going with you and why not? You are such fun and you will all have a great time together.

Rob x

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Hope you are having a good weekend, I noticed you were only an hour away from St Malo.

That is a lovely city, we love Brittany, it is so beautiful.

My favourite beach is at Pleneuf-Val-Andre, it is the only one I am happy to sit on and swim in for the day.

We have very happy memories of those holidays.

Yes, we are looking forward to it, for the first time we are going to visit Dunkirk and also the war memorial at Arras.

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Evening Lou

Wev’e been to Pleneuf- Val-Andre. Great beach to sit on. I have been to the Landing Beaches several times, but never to Dunkirk or Arras. It will be a poignant trip.

I popped over to St Malo with a friend for a stage of the Tour de France a couple of years ago. We got a great view from the City wall and here is a photo. The other one is from when we went punting in the Marais Poitevin or Venise Verte as it is sometimes called for obvious reasons. There are a lot of waterways and we got completely lost for a couple of hours. The boat hire guy was not fazed at all and just shrugged his shoulders as the French do.

Rob x

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Oh, they are lovely photos!

I tried to find one of Pleuneuf earlier but I realised our photos of that time are all pre-digital, and in the garage somewhere! Now I have another job to do! haha. (The garage is a never ending job though haha).

Photography is another hobby of mine, and I have boxes upon boxes of photographs, not in albums either. Since I went digital, we now have had to get extra storage online to store all those as well.

Now phone cameras are getting more and more sophisticated it is even easier to take them. Although I do prefer my camera.

Lou x

@Louise

Hi Lou

Just back from our daily constitution. There were a lot of people out walking with their children and dogs today and the island is starting to get busy already.

We are a bit stumped by the Flybe issue as they were the only company flying to and from Manchester, and Birmingham. We are hoping that someone takes over the slots soon as Mary’s family live in Greater Manchester and one of my sisters lives in Birmingham. It is surprising how disrupting flight or boat cancellations can be for a little island like ours.

Photography is a great hobby. Mary is very keen too. In a way, the digital age has made us a bit lazy as we no longer print our photos and make up albums the way we used to.

I think you said you play musical instruments too. Did you mention the flute? I guess you must be pretty busy with your hobbies. Keep you out of mischief😈

Rob x

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Sorry I thought I had replied to you here!

I was shocked at the airline going bust, such terrible timing for all the families that planned half term breaks. I can't think that another company won't take up the routes.

The only thing with hobbies and interests is I do have to be in the mood to do them. 😂

Yes, I am musical too, sharing my flute with my daughter who is preparing for her grade 7 exam.

Although I have said to her, I am going to pick up her sax and start that. That will be fun! 😀

How did you get in with your song today? Progress made?

Have a great evening

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Evening Lou,

Whew, I got it wrong. The airline going bust was Flybmi not Flybe. Not the only one to panic. Sorry.

Hey, grade 7 is pretty impressive. Would love to hear how she gets on. I stopped at grade 6 when I discovered girls. 💘

No music progress today. Did a bit of housework and chatted to one of my sisters, my niece and great niece on FaceTime.

I remember a group of women who played the saxophone. They called themselves ‘The Fairer Sax’ and they were pretty good.

Rob x

Hello my pals Lesley here! Don't know what's going on but I'm having loads of trouble signing in! Love your pics Rob! And your conversations! You and Lou are so funny love you both! As promised posting some pics! Well I'm trying too!😉

Sorry wrong one!🤣

Oh this has been hard work! Try again!

Oh! I can't stop laughing! They have come out upside down! You are going to have to look at them standing on your heads! I'm worn out now! Not doing any more!🤣so wanted you to see Pompey Lass and my little smart car! Just Nuts! Going for a lie down in a darkened room now!😩

@Lesley

Ouch! I've got such a headache now! Got my two daughters supporting my legs while I hang upside down to look at your pics!

😂🤣🤣

Hi Lesley,

Very snazzy boat! Looks great! So many snowdrops too! Love your little car too, very apt, hahaha.

So glad you have made it back here. Hope the bloods were ok today, deep breath for tomorrow.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble logging on here? Send a msg to the admin, they may be able to help. @hessom , @emilyrose ??

Lots of hugs and smiles🤗😊

Lou x

Oh Lou, the only trouble is me, Heston has asked if he can help, I've done something wrong, don't worry, will always find a way through!xxx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Hello you lot! You really are a tonic! I loved the photo sharing session from the Antipodies! I that the right spelling? I have been taking the luxury of a lie down in the afternoon and amusing myself with your antics. Take care dear people! 😂🙏 Jackie x

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie, Hahaha, I am so glad you are enjoying our antics! We do like to laugh a lot, especially at ourselves too.

Great you are making the most of resting on this beautiful day. I am debating whether to sit in the garden, the challenge I have is resisting the urge to sweep up, where the pots fell over last week in the winds, and lots of soil fell out. Oh, but it does look so lovely out there. 17 ° here.

Please feel free to add any pics of your own when you feel up to it, the more the merrier! 😊.

Lou xx

Hi Lou, hasn’t the weather been incredible? I think we all deserve a little reward for what we all have had to contend with with during the winter months don’t you? It’s hard to think it won’t last haha! It’s only Feb! 😆 I live beside the sea and my dear friend Linda asked me to go for a walk then a a tea in a swanky new bistro on the pier on Sat morning. The sun was warm it looked like May! I thought what I only had my first chemo yesterday! Then I thought well actually I blooming well will and I was so glad I did! It was fab. There were people in shorts and vests and I had my scarf wrapped round my mouth to prevent the Cooler pufts of wind affecting my throat from side effects from Oxiaplatin and parka and gloves on! I thought I’m going to be the strange woman who wraps up on a walk along the prom in August! 😂

I know this is early days and I don’t know the ropes yet but I’m sure I will learn! I am stopping to admire the views and appreciate the wonders of the world at the moment and how lucky I am to be be given this chance. I think I am in my honeymoon period and that is why all the good advice is going to to be so good for me. When some bad days follow, which they will I know, i will appreciate this forum even more! Been to town this morning , visited work taken in sick note, which seems like slacking, isn’t that stupid! Enjoyed seeing my work mates lovely them. My husband and I had breakfast overlooking the sea in a cafe and then I thought that’s it so need to go to bed now! On a sunny day? Yes! Four nights of no more than 3 hrs a night. Last night was 6 hrs! And I think finding this site helped with that so thank you to you all!

My husband said well I think I’m going to be taking jam sandwiches to work this week with you eating out all week at swanky cafes with your friends! I replied well “i’m Worth it”! Haha! He smiled!

Lou I hoped you managed to sit in the garden without picking up a broom and those pots? Haha, I know I would struggle with that but I will have to learn haha. Take care.

Regards Jackie x 🙏

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie,

It's great isn't it, I am so awful in the winter months, I really should hibernate and refuse to come out until the spring! haha.

I think you Saturday sounded wonderful, good for you!. And why not do those things, you have been wise to wrap up. I remember after one of my chemo sessions, we left the hospital, and then called our friends to meet us for an impromptu lunch. I sat there thinking the same as you 'this is weird, I just had chemo!' But hey, I had my anti sickness meds with me (always had them), so I felt secure that if things went downhill I would be ok. For the record, I was never sick once, and was very healthy on chemo, so healthy in fact they wrote it all over my medical notes. I still had tough days, but compared with how some suffer, I had it easy.

I love your positive attitude, and I do believe it will really help you to get through this. And when its tough, come and say here, we'll help you get through it too.

I know how you feel going into work but not working, I felt the same. But don't think for a minute you are slacking!!

It is lovely you got out with your husband too for breakfast, it is so good to do simple things like that. My favourite 'going out' activity is going somewhere for coffee.

I hope the sleep improves soon. Getting some rest whenever you can is the best thing to do.

I didn't make it in to the garden, but tomorrow is another day!

Rest well,

Lou xx

Hi again Lou, just re-read your post and had a giggle to myself! Your comment about you should hibernate and I remembered a conversation recently about my friends tortoise! They have an outhouse and Tortie gets wrapped up himself in a big box with stuffing and goes to sleep for the winter. Now and again when it’s mild as it has been he lets himself out has a wander and goes back inside again. I think that is something we can identify with don’t you? I’ve done a lot of wandering amongst the bushes only to get back under the duvet again. 🐢

Soon be summer then we will be avoiding the luscious sun 😆

Hope you have a good Saturday!

lv Jackie x