Tender scalp

Hi,I'm due for my 2nd Chemo next week for breast cancer.
I am still holding onto my hair at the moment,but today my scalp feels really tender to touch.
I have read online that while on Chemo,this could be a sign of the hair follicles dying and your hair could go in a few days time?
Has anyone else experienced this before losing their hair.

Best Answers

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 40
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Lou,I knew I should have asked you haha.
    It is 2 weeks since my 1st Chemo,so I am expecting the inevitable.
    As I had quite long hair 2 weeks ago and have had it cut drastically short,I am finding it quite hard to shave it off before it falls out.
    I have various hats,scarfs and as you know my new wig ready,I will let you know when I'm brave enough to do it.Take care .
    Barbara x
    Accepted Answer
    Lou,I've uploaded my photo now,this was taken this time last year on holiday in Fuerteventura,who knew "what a difference a year would make" !!!!

Answers

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    @PositiveLady10 ;

Yes, definitely! I went through this when I began to lose my hair two weeks after starting chemo.

My scalp was very tender, and I was told it was as the follicles were dying and the hair was about to fall out.

Once the hair is gone, the pain does stop. I would recommend shaving it off as it starts to become patchy. I think seeing it in clumps on a pillow or back of the chair is upsetting enough.

I am sorry it is causing you pain, I understand how it feels. 

Lou x

@PositiveLady10 ;

Hi Barbara, 

Hahaha, you made me laugh! You know me, the one-stop shop! haha.
    Bless you, it really is so hard. You are very brave to get your hair cut short already, it is so drastic, but at least your hair will grow back. It will, eventually, and a lot of people find their hair is thicker than before. You may even get a new colour! 
    Please let me know how it goes, hang in there, you are doing brilliantly!

Sending hugs <3

Lou x
    @PositiveLady10 ;

Barbara, where's your pic? Technical hitch somewhere! 

Also, not quite sure why all your posts are coming up as accepted answer?? 

You are making me chuckle. =)

I love Fuerteventura, its beautiful. Although a very long time since we went. I think the island has had a lot of development over the years. But still beautiful I am sure.

Lou x
    Lou,my picture is next to my "positivelady10" ?
    Thats my fault regarding my posts coming up as accepted answer as I've been pressing Yes to did this answer your question ..... Haha what a nutter,I won't press that next time!!!
    Barbara, what a ninny I am! Of course! I was thinking you had posted a pic.

Lovely photo, you have red in your hair I see. I used to be a red head. 

xx

Lou, I've coloured it Auburn every 4 weeks for god knows how long.
    I will soon have a red head ...... but no hair 😢 😢
    :p  :p 

xxx
  • JR124JR124 Posts: 30
    I'm using cold cap although they said it may not work. 2 chemos in and am getting the tender scalp and loads of hair clumps falling out but gonna give chemo 3 a try with the cold cap as I have thick hair and quite a bit left! See what happens! I'm going for a,wig fitting this PM just in case it does all go. Good luck xx
    :p  :p 

xxx
    This is not meant to be a laughing face Barbara @[email protected] !
    I have been streaming with cold for 48 hrs, and can't see properly! So sorry! 
    I meant to put a crying face, supporting you! 

Lou xxx
    It’s too late now Lou, you’ve hurt my feelings 😂😂😂
    Hair coming out in clumps this morning..... here it goes x
  • JR124JR124 Posts: 30
    The irony with mine is I've still got to lip hair! That doesn't wanna fall out! 😂
    Good morning Barbara,

Don't! I feel bad enough already at my mistake! 🤓 Got my reading glasses on! 

Bless you, I am hurting with you. I can feel it. This is temporary, it will pass. 

xxx
    This was me having my hair shaved off Oct 2015 
    Ahh bless you Lou, I didn’t take any pics while mine was being cut off ...., wait .... I’ve got a pic of all my hair on the floor, i’ll Put that up 😂😘😂
  • MinksyMinksy Posts: 8

I could not face having my hair shaved off so when it started falling out i held my head over a bucket and cut it off myself. I put a hat on when i went to bed untill the ends fell out. I am now 6 months post chemo and you can see from the picture my hair is on the way back with chemp curls.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 161 mod

Hi @Minksy

You were brave cutting your hair off in that way, I'm not sure I could have done that.

Your hair looks great, and it looks like it is growing back really well.

I hope you are recovering well from the chemo, do you have any other treatment to do?

Welcome to the group by the way! It's great to have you with us.

Lou x

• MinksyMinksy Posts: 8

I have got to have something to protect my bones, the doctor said last week that the tablet can cause bad heart burn etc, as i had this with my first chemo untill i got some omeprazole from doctors i told him i would not take it, i asked if there was anything else i could have, he said you could have it as an infusion once every 6 months but it is more expensive that way, so i said that is how i will have it.

Cost should not come into it, after all we go through, so got appointment next week. I had it as an infusion with my last chemo. Then ino more treatment x

How are you doing. X

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 161 mod

Hi @Minksy ,

I've not heard of that infusion, although there are so many variations of breast cancer treatment.

I take Letrozole and Adcal a calcium supplement every day. I also have a Dexa scan each year to check my bone density, as well as the other usual check-up appointments.

I am well, thank you, I don't have cancer anymore, the treatment (chemo, operation and radiotherapy) was very effective. I have had several post-treatment side-effects that have taken their toll, but things are slowly improving.

I try and stay active, do a lot of swimming which really helps me.

I hope your appointment next week goes well.

Lou x

• Tina65Tina65 Posts: 7

Hello I too suffered for a week with really bad scalp pain before I decided enough was enough..I shaved off my hair and instantly the pain stopped..I look at it as it's another step I have completed along this cancer journey

Tina x