News article regarding Israeli scientists working towards finding a cure for cancer

Good morning,

I put up a post just now about this, then removed it, so apologies if you clicked on it, then it disappeared!

I wasn't sure whether to comment on this or not to be honest. 
A cure for cancer? It's very emotive, if you or a loved one have cancer, of course that's what we want. 

I would say that I am cured of cancer, I had it, was treated for it and I am taking medication to help prevent its return. But I don't have it in my body now. Therefore I am cured. Right?

When I first read the article, my first thoughts were 'wouldn't that be wonderful, bringing hope to many people, that one day it may be possible'.
Then I read today, how it may be fake news, other scientists are sceptical, nothing has been published in medical journals about the findings, it appears the research is still in its infancy. 

What to make out of all this? 

At least they are looking. They are not the only ones. 

Look how far we have come over the generations.
Many of us are alive today, because of cancer treatments that have been researched, developed and refined over the years,  but had we lived in another time, we wouldn't have made it. 
Breakthroughs, becoming more frequent. 

And wouldn't it be marvellous if a breakthrough cure could be found even for one or two cancers, obviously given the myriad of variations, different mutations of cancers, finding a 'one-size fits all' cure is unlikely. But who knows in the generations who will come after us?
People never thought of the possibility of going into space until it happened and then to put a man on the moon??!!. But it was possible.

Hope. I think it drives people on a lot more than we realise.

So, I will re-post the link to a couple of articles, if you are interested in reading.

The BBC article is about a new pioneering cancer therapy to help treat B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL)

Lou x

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/A-cure-for-cancer-Israeli-scientists-say-they-think-they-found-one-578939

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6644577/A-cure-cancer-YEAR-Israeli-scientists-say-critics-warn-findings-thin.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47058069

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a lovely thoughtful and informative post Lou and the knowledge that progress is continually being made is encouraging for all of us . Yes, the idea that we are cured because we do not have cancer in our bodies at any particular time is a nice one, but the potential for it to return remains always. 
    Rob x 
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 303 mod
    Hi Rob, 

I hope you are having a good week, feels like a Friday to me, probably because I am off to fetch my daughter home from Uni for a couple of days. It's getting colder here each day, how is it with you?

You are right of course, cancer could return in any other form at any time, but I can't live in the fear of that happening. Always looking over my shoulder.
    It doesn't mean I shut my eyes and ignore symptoms or anything, I guess my expectation is greater in not getting cancer again, than it is in returning. I will still be as surprised the second time, as I was the first time, should it ever reappear. 

Meanwhile, we wait for breakthroughs and further advancement in treatments to help us get through it.

Lou x

Hi Lou

Great to hear that your daughter is home for a couple of days. How lovely. 

Yes, it is quite cold here, but no snow or ice.  We rarely get snow thank goodness. I think it is because we are surrounded by water.

You are right, we can't keep looking over our shoulders and in many ways perhaps, we actually appreciate the good things in life more than we did before.
    As you know, I can't be cured anyway, but my infusions are keeping me stable and these new advancements we hear about are very exciting. Life is good.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    Evening Rob!

I am full of admiration for you and others here who face a never-ending journey in this. You are all remarkable in the way you approach life and the circumstances you have to endure. I don't know whether I could be as strong as you, I guess you don't until you face it. 

I know what you post here, is enormously helpful to everyone, we can all learn from each other I hope.

Yes, daughter home, funnily Uni announced they were closing this afternoon, as did all our local schools in preparation for this snow storm? So my other daughter who is doing A levels is happy too! Hahaha! 
    Currently, it is pouring with rain! 
    Oh dear! I can just imagine what our American friends must be thinking, considering what they are going through!

Lou x

Evening Lou

Well, you have been through a lot more than I have and your posts are so relevant and helpful to so many ladies in this community. 
    I think we are all strong in our own ways because we have no choice. I have had so much support without which I could have fallen apart. As I have probably  said before, even my marriage came under strain last year because Mary could not understand my behaviour and for my part, It seemed that she did not understand how I felt. On reflection, I can see how tough it was for her, I was a moody stranger and she was bewildered and frightened. We were so lucky to have our fantastic doctor, MacMillans and the Counsellor who supported us both so well and we are now closer than ever. 

I am so pleased that you and I got involved with this community. Your posts are so caring and informative and I think that together by sharing our experiences, we can support others in their journeys. We can learn from others too of course. 

One of my nephews lives in Minnesota with his wife and daughter. Apparently it is -22 degrees there and he is very amused when we talk about bad weather. Ouch.

Rob X