Where is the follow up after treatment

I had an operation to remove the cancer from my breast then I had radiotherapy I am on tablets for five years but there is no after care there are questions I need answering 
I found out today I can't take vitamins with the cancer tablet I am taking 

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 265 mod
    Hi @Rosemary

Welcome to the group, it is good to hear the cancer has been removed and your treatment has been successful.

Are you in the UK?

Do you have access to your breast care team, or dr's in follow-up appointments?

I can only talk about what I did, and what I have learned from others.

I too had breast cancer, after my treatment was finished I had several appointments with surgeons, dr's, oncologists, who gave me information, but if I had any other query I was able to phone the breast care team and ask over the phone. We also have at my hospital a monthly drop-in coffee morning that is hosted by the breast care nurses.

I would suggest trying to call your breast care team, and also see your GP. If you have specific questions regarding your medication, they are best placed to be able to advise you.

I started on Tamoxifen, initially, but have now changed to Letrozole, have been on that just over a year.

It is difficult navigating life after treatment has finished. For many of us, we have spent many months being told what to do, what to take, be here, there, and everywhere. Then suddenly, it is all over. You may be left thinking well now what?
    What happens now? It is probably only at this time that you are able to properly process and come to terms with everything you have been through. 

Take it slowly, one day at a time, be kind to yourself. Don't expect to revert to the 'you' 'before cancer' automatically.
    In fact, that may not happen at all. 
    If you feel as though you are heading towards depression or you suffer with anxiety about it coming back, that is very common, and not unusual. But it is important you speak to someone about it, GP, or even Macmillan Cancer Support, who will be able to provide support. 

Please feel free to ask any questions you have here, there may be many of us who have experienced similar things to yourself. If we can help and support each other, that's what we do.

Lou x
  • RosemaryRosemary Posts: 2
    That information was a lot of help I do see a counseller once a month I have seen her twice so far 
    Just had my first mamogram since the operation did not feel very good having it as it hurt     
    Got counseller next week so I will be able to talk to her 
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 265 mod
    @Rosemary

Hi Rosemary

It is good to hear you are seeing a counsellor to have someone to talk to. 
    I remember going to my Dr after my treatment was over, going for one reason, ended up talking to her for a while, probably because I just burst into tears.  :s  I couldn't understand why I felt like crying all the time, thinking the cancer has gone, everything is good, what is there to cry over? 
    It was only then we chatted about everything I had been through, the long lasting effects of chemo, which I wasn't told about at the time. Then having to re-adjust and work through all that had occurred. 
    I am really glad you are being supported too. 

Oohhh, yes, ouch! It is painful isn't it. Especially, when your body may not have fully recovered from an operation.
    I understand completely!

I hope you have a peaceful weekend, keep in touch.

Lou x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon @rosemary and @louiseJ ;

I know that I am repeating myself (and not for the first time🤐 ) but I truly believe that a cancer diagnosis is different to any other type illness.  We know that it will always be with us. No matter that we may have been given the all clear - every lump, bump, ache or pain will have us wondering. Every check up will cause us anxiety. We learn to live with that and it is no wonder we get anxious. 

You are so right Lou. It is not over just because the medics have released us.  I sailed through the treatments and radiotherapy, but just at the time I thought I would be able to relax and get back to normal,  the enormity of what I had been through, together with the hormonal changes and tiredness, just overwhelmed me. 
    I truly believe that cancer has two parts to it. The physical and the emotional and I am so pleased that you are chatting to a counsellor Rosemary.  I still see mine for a monthly 'top up' and I know that I can express things to her which I would not want to burden my family with. It helps me to do that and I also love being part of this community where people can say how they feel and know that others feel the same. 

Rob x 

• VeritercVeriterc Posts: 8
    Some of us manage to fall through the cracks after treatment finishes, and get no support at all due to staff shortages etc.  So I have decided to organise a Wellness Day to tell fellow survivors what is available.  Why not organise one yourself?  I am writing about what needs to be organised on aftercancers.com/Wellness