breast cancer

Hi just jointed have had 6 rounds off chemo that went really well had my right boob and nodes removed 17th jan I feel ok sore but ok interesting reading about radio therapy as I got to have that too my question is did any off you other great folks have fluid build up in breast area 

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭
    @Beverley

Good morning Beverley,

A very warm welcome to you, to the group. It is very friendly, I hope you will find lots of support, encouragement, and friendship here.

I also had breast cancer, on the left side. I had six rounds of chemo, a mastectomy including removal of lymph nodes and radiotherapy. I do understand what you have and are going through.

Are you at home now after surgery?
    By build up of fluid, do you mean around the surgery site? Do you still have a drain in?
    If the drains are out, I would urge you to call the breast care team asap, it could be a sign of infection.

The area will be very swollen due to the surgery, but if you are noticing it getting worse, call someone. 

If you are having to change the dressing more frequently, call them. 
    Please don't leave it. 

I did have a build up of fluid after the drains had been removed. At the time of removal, there wasn't much draining out, the nurses thought it was ok. Turns out it wasn't, and I developed serious infection.  I ended up back in hospital urgently to have a bucket load removed. I was leaking profusely through the stitches. 
    The nurse called the surgeon, who arrived within minutes to sort me out. 
    At the time I didn't realise how serious it was, it was only later when I thought back and was talking with my husband about what had gone on. 

I hope you continue to make a good recovery. It sounds as if radiotherapy will be to dot the 'i' s and cross the 't' s, like it was for me. 

Please feel free to come and chat anytime, if I can be of any help at all. 

Lou x
  • DianeDiane Posts: 5

Hi ive also had a mastecomy ive just had my last session of chemo feeling ok apart from horrible taste in mouth ive had my breast drained about 8 times for fluid but seems to b ok for now good luck

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 161 mod
    edited February 20

@Diane

Hi Diane,

Congratulations on getting to the end of your chemo, that is a big thing. I hope you are continuing to recover from your surgery. It sounds as though you have had a tough time since the operation with the build up of fluid. I can empathise with you. I understand how difficult that is.

Hopefully now, you will be able to recover from chemo, and begin to get stronger day by day. Your taste buds will return eventually, I hope your teeth and gums have been ok through it too.

Are you due to have any radiotherapy?

Welcome to the group, everyone is very friendly, and supportive. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Lou x

@Beverley

Hi Beverley,

I hope that your recovery from surgery is improving, and the fluid has drained effectively. I hope you are regaining movement in your arm. How is your sleep? I was unable to sleep lying down for a long time, I found it too painful.

When are you due to start radiotherapy?

Sending you best wishes,

Lou x

Hi louise j thanks for your reply and yes iam going to have radiotherapy in 3 weeks time my teeth and gums have been fine iam waiting to have another seroma drained tommoro i spke to soon last nite thanks for a nice welcome xx

@Diane

Hi Diane,

I am sorry, I hope it gets sorted quickly for you. It is so tiring, and really slows you down when recovery is halted by complications.

I hope you are not stuck at the hospital for long today.

Take care,

Lou x

Hi louise j iam at hospital tommoro and they r always very good and qiuck thanks xx

Hi louise ive been to hospital had a serona drained they said i should take things easy ive been doing to much xx

@Diane ,

Hi Diane,

Ah ok! Bless you, I hope that you will be able to do just that. I am the same, always too quick to get back to doing things that really could wait, or someone else could take care of them! My family would really tell me right off!

So is the order of the weekend to rest? You know it makes sense 😉.

Is there anything you can do whilst resting that will also occupy your mind, to keep you from that 'To do list' or activities that you would rather be doing?

Have a restful afternoon!

Chat soon,

Lou xx