Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

Let's talk about helping our loved ones

hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Carers Corner
Helping a loved one through cancer is a complex journey in itself. It's natural to feel an array of complex emotions from the moment you learn that a friend, relative, partner or even your child has been diagnosed.

Whether you're feeling sad, guilt or grateful for some good news, this category is all about loved ones and being on the journey with those we care about.

Who are you supporting? And how are you feeling about helping your loved one through cancer today?

Comments

• Jilly25Jilly25 Posts: 1

I have been supporting my husband through his terminal bone cancer condition for over 2 years. I am feeling exhausted emotionally and physically.

He is currently on an immunotherapy trial and I am feeling very anxious about possible side effects.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jilly25 ,

I just wanted to welcome you to our friendly group, I am so sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis and also to hear how exhausted you are feeling too.

I can understand how exhausting it is living with and supporting a loved one through cancer. I have been on both sides of the fence, I think it is so difficult for those caring for someone with cancer. I remember wanting to do anything I could, especially for my sister, but it was like being between a rock and a hard place. My heart does go out to you, I know it’s not easy by any means. Since having cancer I think I had an easier time going through it than my family did seeing me go through it.

Have you been able to get any support for yourself in the last two years? It is a lot to carry on your own. I know Macmillan Cancer Support are very good, if you are in the UK. They support the whole family going through cancer, not just the patient.

I don’t know about the immunotherapy or side effects, but probably someone else here will have some knowledge I hope.

Anytime you feel like chatting, about anything, you are most welcome to do so here.

Thinking of you,

Lou x