Using Steam Rooms and Sauna

Hello
Is it Ok to use a steam room, sauna and a spa pool after chemo, surgery and radio  ?

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Birkin345 ;

I know we are advised against these during treatment because of the risk of picking up germs and infections from them due to low immunity, I guess it depends how long ago your treatment ended and the type of cancer?
     I had breast cancer, and have lymphoedema as a result of surgery. I read that having very hot baths, saunas etc may not be good, and may increase my symptoms. 
    Your immunity will be low for quite some time after treatment has finished, so I think you need to take care and use caution. 

I hope you are recovering well from all your treatment, and looking forwards to better days, welcome to the group.

Lou x

• Birkin345Birkin345 Posts: 2
    Hello Lou 

Many thanks for all the information, I have had breast cancer finished treatment last October, back at the gym mainly 
    swimming this morning the spa pool seemed tempting but will take your advice and build up slowly and listen to my body 
    Thank you also for the welcome its so good to know there is always someone to talk to.

Hope you are doing really well and like me enjoying life .... 

Take lots of care 

Janet x       
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    @Birkin345 ;

Hi Janet, 
    It's great you are back at the gym and swimming too. I only found swimming after cancer and treatment. I never like sport etc, was terrible at it, always picked last for teams etc hahaha. I was never very good at swimming either always afraid of the water and being out of my depth. At school during swimming lessons I refused to jump in from the side to earn my red badge! My exercise was gardening and walking around school when working. 
    But that all changed after my treatment. I decided to get fit, but as I had problems with my feet and walking since treatment, I plucked up the courage to go swimming and to do some aqua classes. During the summer while on holiday my husband and daughters taught me how to swim under the water, how to tread water. It was a real breakthrough, and I haven't looked back since. I have become nuts about swimming. I have even had a go at diving, I am just not scared anymore. It means holidays and messing about in the pool are now fun, before it was 'don't come near me, don't splash me!' 

The best experience of all was in 2017 we went on our dream holiday to Florida. Whilst there we visited Discovery Cove and we swam with dolphins and did this diving thing with a suit and oxygen. If I can load a pic I will at the end. Me swimming in deep water with a dolphin. Unreal! Awesome is the only word to describe it. 

Sorry I know I have gone on a bit, but I am so happy to be here. Determined to enjoy life, even with all the trials it brings. 

Speak to you again soon.

Lou x