Hello

Hi Thank you for adding me. I am undergoing chemo for ovary and fallopian tube cancer. This is my second primary cancer the first being a breast 29 years ago. Day 2 following 1st chemo bit tired and ache all over. Feeling positive but obviously scared. Nice to hear positive inspiration from your members.
June 

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    @JR124 ;

Hi June, 

Welcome to the group, I hope you find some hope, inspiration and support here. Everyone is very friendly, its lovely getting to know others.

It must have been a huge shock to find a new cancer after so many years. I hope though that you will find that as medical research has improved so much over the years, the treatment you are now undergoing will be really effective.
    Are you on a three week rotation? Glad you are feeling positive, its ok to be scared, a very normal reaction. Take each day as it comes, rest as much as you can, let your medical team know of any side-effects especially if they become intolerable. There are lots of things they can do to help you get through the treatment.
    And of course, come and chat here, there are many of us who have been through similar treatments, even if cancer is different. We understand what its like. Take the time to read through the other threads, you will find a lot of helpful, and positive encouragement. Mine was breast cancer, diagnosed 3 yrs ago, I had chemo, surgery and radiotherapy. I am now concentrating on living, getting fitter, and trying to make the most of my life. 
    Part of that I hope, will be to bring hope and encouragement to others going through cancer. The fact that you yourself managed to go 29 yrs is wonderful, but I am so sorry it has returned. 
    Please keep in touch, if you'd like to chat anytime feel free, you can also msg me directly.

Lou x

• JR124JR124 Posts: 25
    Thank you that is,so kind. The aches and pains are the only side effect from chemo at the moment and not sleeping. I'm so grateful for all the advances in research and medication. It's amazing! The support here will be great too so thanks again x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    Hi @JR124 June,
    I am so pleased you found this community. As Lou says, we are a friendly bunch and are committed to supporting and encouraging one another. 

Even though we all have different cancers, the emotional issues are the same and it is OK and entirely normal to be scared.  Hope you continue to tolerate the chemo as well as you have so far. 

Do keep in touch. 
    Rob X 
    Thank you Robert. I know the path can change often. It's lovely to feel supported x
    My husband is a blokey bloke... and very low at the moment...but won't talk to anyone. Has anyone found something that helps for people who "soldier" on and not talk? 
    JR124 said:
    My husband is a blokey bloke... and very low at the moment...but won't talk to anyone. Has anyone found something that helps for people who "soldier" on and not talk? 
    Hi June, 

How are you doing? And also how is your husband doing?
    It is a lot for both of you to process, he is probably feeling a lot of the same things you are in many ways, but then also thinking he needs to hold it together for you, because you're the one going through it.
    I think my husband felt numb, as did I,  from the news, but also somehow detached, like looking down from above, seeing it all unfold. It is a weird feeling.
    I was wondering if you had been in touch with Macmillan Cancer Support in your area? I am sure if you had a chat with them, they would be able to advise you and offer some help and support, even in a 'remote' way, ie not directly talking to your husband.

How is your sleeping? Has that improved at all?
    I hope you are able to get some rest at other times if not at night.

Chat soon, 

Lou x

Thank you yes I'm due my 2nd chemo on 30th  so steroids will keep me awake then i guess, but sleeping better now I'm going into pre chemo week. Our Macmillan nurse was very supportive but must admit I haven't contacted her since diagnosis. Hubby having his moments I have a male friend who is keeping an eye on him. We have PET scan results on Monday so we will know more then but staying positive is all we can do. Thank you so much for your support xx
    @JR124 ;

Hi June, 

You have a busy week coming up, I hope the results on Monday will be positive and hopeful.

Ah yes, steroids! I remember them well! For me they were the worst tablet to take, I remember I used to cry like a child about having to take them! My daughters encouraging me to count to 3 then do it! haha. I don't know why they affected me like that, even on chemo day in the hospital. Horrid things. 

It is good that your husband has a friend who is able to provide some support, but give your Macmillan nurse a call anyway. 

Sending you my very best wishes, 

Lou x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

@JR124

Hi June

I am sorry to hear that your husband is struggling with your diagnosis. I think that we blokes are wired to solve problems and when we are unable to do so, we often feel helpless. 

We would love to take away our loved one’s diagnosis and endure their treatments for them, but we can’t. The best we can do is to offer, emotional, social and spiritual support but it does not come naturally to us. 

Your husband cannot make things okay, but the best thing he can do is to try to keep healthy himself. That means getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising and taking part in activities that he enjoys.  If you are able to do things together, I think it can be easier to manage any symptoms of depression and anxiety that often accompany a loved one’s diagnosis.  He might feel really involved by doing a few household chores, help prepare meals, get the groceries. Anything that involves doing things together. 

The best thing for both of you will be some positive news on Monday and I will be thinking of you both.

Rob x 

Thank you Robert that's really kind of you. X
  • LJMLJM Posts: 7
    Hi June, I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian metastasized in March.  Source determined to be fallopian tubes.  Had 12 wks chemo, surgery, another 12 wks... taxol and carbo.  Rescans this month were good so now on oral chemo Lynparza, which has side effects like anything else... but promises to improve life expectancy.  Hang in there, I am.  My initial prognosis was 50 percent, possibly up to 70 with a positive attittude.  Keeping positive.  Good luck.  Thinking of you and wishing you well.
    Thank you so much. I am so glad you are doing well. I have some lymph nodes,which need investigating by the breast team. I do believe positivity is key in everything. I don't read all the negatives. Thank you for thinking of me. This is such a supportive site I'm glad I joined. I know with your attitude you will continue to do well. Xxx
    @JR124 ;

Hi June, 

Just to say I hope you are doing ok after having chemo no 2 last week. I am thinking of you.
    I hope the lymph nodes are investigated soon, will you be having a biopsy done on them?
    I am so glad you ignore the negative stuff, definitely, the right approach. Cancer is hard enough without hearing all of that. 
    I hope that both you and your husband continue to hang in there. 
    Here for you at any time, please feel free to come and talk when you like. 

In case you hadn't noticed there is another thread 'Us as people not the disease' under the heading 'What's on your mind today'. Just chatting about anything, some have put pics up etc. It's a chilled space. Come and visit. :)

Chat soon, 

Lou x

Thank you yes I have been ref to the breast team and have a second scan and biopsy pending. Thank you for thinking of us. I will certainly check out the chilled space.! X