I had a hysterectomy due to uterine cancer. Starting chemo next Friday. Cancer was removed.

my Dr suggested chemotherapy as an insurance policy after my surgery. I’m terrified of chemotherapy and the side effects. I feel like I’m going to have a meltdown 

Best Answers

• LEGO2019LEGO2019 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Sorry Melanie - I should have said to check with your oncologist before trying this supplement (or any) because we are all on different chemicals depending on what type of cancer we have.

Answers

• MelanieMelanie Posts: 13
    Throwing up is on the list. Losing hair and mouth sores doesn’t sound good either. Feeling so vulnerable and trying to accept what I can’t control. 
  • LesleyLesley Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Hi Melanie, it's all so overwhelming when we are first diagnosed! I cried when the nurse was going through the list of side effects that we maybe experience  , but if it is unbearable to you, you tell them like I did, i am starting again on Thursday, and hopefully it will be sorted, if not they will tweak it again! 
    We are all here for you! Xx
    Thank you for your support. I’m so glad to be able to voice my fears on this platform. I purchased some cute hats and I’ll get a short haircut this week. Thanks again 
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    Melanie, 

Lovely profile pic btw.

xx
  • ginnysussexginnysussex Posts: 3
    Hi Melanie

I had a hysterectomy as I have ovarian cancer, and starting chemo 15th Jan, I thought I was coping well, until I was given possible side effects of chemo.  Suddenly felt I couldn’t cope! Feeling depressed and panicky, fear of the unknown I realise, perhaps will feel better once I get started! How do people think positively? 
    I understand completely. I think if other warriors can do it, we will too. I pray a lot as well. 
  • LesleyLesley Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Hi ginnysussex!  You will do it ! I'm starting again on Thursday! Bring it on! Xxx
    @lesley

Just sending you lots of love Lesley, thinking of you. xx

Lou x

Hi @ginnysussex

I noticed you are starting chemo on Tuesday, how are you doing?
    I know it is very daunting, and the list of possible side-effects is like reading a horror story, but try not to let those 'possible' things get you before you start. Some may be definite, others are only 'maybe's'. Everyone is different, having a positive, fighting attitude going into this will really help. So to start with..see chemo as your friend, something that is being used to kill the cancer that wants to kill you. In your mind, tell the cancer to go and do one, mind you I even shouted it out loud! I likened the chemo to a heat-seeking missile, going through my body seeking that which it was sent to destroy. I cheered it on its way. 
    Laugh. Find things to laugh about. Laughter in the face of adversity is powerful, it is good for the body and soul.

On Tuesday, hopefully someone will be going with you, pack a bag of bits, drink, snack, magazine/book etc, warm socks or slippers (it can be quite cold in chemo wards), ask for a blanket to use. You will be nervous, we all are, but the actual process is not frightening. You will be probably be hooked up, and the drugs will drip in. The nurses will be keeping a very close eye on you, and you say immediately when you begin to feel anything. The speed at which the chemo is administered can be slowed down. The nurses will advise you every step of the way, you will come home with an armful of drugs I expect and lots of instructions. Follow them.

Do not be afraid to call the 24/7 number you will be given at any time. They are there to help you. 
    Take one day at a time, sometimes it may be an hour at a time, then tick them off...you got through it.

It may be a long way off but start to see yourself in the future doing something good when this is over. Make a plan now, regardless of the situation. Plan for something. 

I don't know if any of this will be of use to you, but I will be thinking of you on Tuesday. Let us know how you get on.

Lou x

Thank you Lou, very helpful . Chemo been moved to Thursday. Where are you now in your treatment? Ginnyx
    @ginnysussex
    Hi Ginny, 

Oh bless you, have you had your pre-chemo bloods done already?

I was diagnosed on Sept 2015, started chemo immediately for six months. After that I had a mastectomy, then radiotherapy which finished at the end of May 2016. In Sept 2017, I had further surgery as part of my recovery process, I thought then that was the end of any medical stuff, however at the end of 2017,  I had a reaction to the meds I was on and ended up in surgery again, as well as having tests done, because there was a concern. Thankfully that was all clear, I just changed my meds. I have had a lot of post-treatment side-effects mainly to do with my feet, bones and joints, which has been a long drawn-out affair trying to get to the bottom of, but its nothing really relatively speaking. At least I don't have cancer anymore. That's the main thing. 

Let me know how you get on Thursday when you are able.

Lou x 
    Had my first treatment on Thursday, unfortunately had a bad reaction to the Paclitaxel which had to be stopped half way through. Tolerated Carboplatin. Anyone else had this problem? Ginnyx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 259 mod
    @ginnysussex

Hi Ginny, 

So sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to chemo on Thursday, will they change to another drug that you can tolerate better or is Carboplatin the alternative? I really hope you are managing to get through these first days.
    Please know I am thinking of you. Cheering you on all the way through. 

Gentle hugs, 

Lou x
    @ginnysussex
    Im sorry you had a reaction . I hope they get you squared away and onto the next  with no problems. This too shall pass is my mantra during these treatments 
  • nessienessie Posts: 3
    I was terribly fearful of chemo - had heard of so many bad reactions - and the oncologist seemed unable to reassure me. However its been SO much easier than i expected. Very minor side effects so far. I am on no 2 of 6 in 3 weekly cycles and if no 3 goes just was well in 4 days time i am promising to stop worrying. What you will experience will be I think down to luck and hopefully you will be lucky! Everyone is different in all respects. I must say for me waiting to start was the worst. Now I am counting down to half way its gone so very fast - i hope you'll be able to say the same soon. I almost feel a fraud so far that i am not suffering enough!

@ Nessie 
    i feel good as well. Fingers crossed. Hair is falling ou
    @Melanie ;

Hi Melanie, 

Good to hear you are doing well. How are you feeling with the hair falling out? Not causing you any pain I hope.

Lou x
  • LJMLJM Posts: 7
    Hi Ginny, My treatment was taxol and carbo.  I had a very bad reaction to taxol, scary, however they continued me on it by giving me intravenous benadryl first... which knocked me out a bit. Good luck.
  • LJMLJM Posts: 7
    My eyebrows and eyelashes fell out after 12 wks of chemo, while the head hair fell out early on.  Head hair very slowly, still very short and unmanageable, and now gray... but at least its something.  After next 12 wks of chemo, eyebrows and eyelashes fell out again but not head hair... and growing back again.  Hope yours starts to grow back soon.  Good luck.
    I shaved my head because my hair was patchy and sliding off ! It was not as bad as I thought. Apparently I have a good egg shape head. Who knew? I have a few hats and I’m contemplating a wig but dont want to spend a lot of money on one for a few months of bald. It did hurt and my scalp was tender during fall out. I had second round on Friday. My nurse told me to take Claritin for bone pain and aches. I had mild joint pain for a few days after round one. I’m taking yoga and walking through the achy days. Movement helps and counting down ! Happy weekend all
    @Melanie ;

Hi Melanie, 

It is good to hear from you. I am glad you are doing ok and managing to get through the chemo. Sorry about the sore head, I was hoping it wouldn't happen to you like it did me. At least it is done now. I understand about the wig, I didn't have one, just wore a variety of scarves and hats, and I always slept with a beany hat on. My head used to get so cold in bed.
    Well done for keeping up with the yoga and walking, I am sure it will help a lot. 
    I haven't heard of Claritin. Is that from the pharmacy?

Thinking of you

Lou xx

nessie said:
    I was terribly fearful of chemo - had heard of so many bad reactions - and the oncologist seemed unable to reassure me. However its been SO much easier than i expected. Very minor side effects so far. I am on no 2 of 6 in 3 weekly cycles and if no 3 goes just was well in 4 days time i am promising to stop worrying. What you will experience will be I think down to luck and hopefully you will be lucky! Everyone is different in all respects. I must say for me waiting to start was the worst. Now I am counting down to half way its gone so very fast - i hope you'll be able to say the same soon. I almost feel a fraud so far that i am not suffering enough!

Hi @nessie ;

It is wonderful to hear how well you are doing on chemo. All of your fears were perfectly understandable, I can't imagine anyone who wasn't fearful at the prospect of going through it. It is terrifying!
    But I am so glad you are managing. Keep looking forwards.
    By now you will have had round 3? how are you doing? you have made it halfway! yay!! Fantastic!

You are right of course, often it is the anticipation of something horrid that causes us so much anguish, plus you will have had a lot of waiting around already probably with waiting for test results to come through, then waiting for appointments. It can be the cause of a lot of anxiety. 

Please don't think of yourself as not suffering enough! The fact you have cancer is bad enough in itself. 

For others to hear that your experience is not as bad as it could have been gives hope to others who may yet have to go through it. It doesn't have to be all bad. 

I hope you continue to do well, and I hope the chemo and treatment will be very effective.

Speak soon.

Lou x

hello friends

I was supppsed to have treatment yesterday , however my white blood count was low and with all the flu and colds spreading around , dr thought it better to postpone by one week. I cried. I want it to be over. Then I put my big girl pants on and let it go. I am feeling well so I won’t complain . ( much)

@Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I am sorry your next round of treatment has been delayed. It is better to wait until your bloods change up. I know it is frustrating, we gear ourselves up mentally for the next hit, and when it has to be halted, it's hard to take.

But you are doing brilliantly, I am glad you feel well, that is good news.

You hoik those pants up! Haha, it will all soon be over you'll see.

Lou xxx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

@Melanie

Hi Melanie

You can do it. It will be worth it in the end.

Rob x