Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

The Christmas, Festive season has arrived….

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA @NanaBubbles @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @Anneb @JerseyBob @Nicnac @Jimjam @Newshoes123 @PositiveLady10 @gloden02 @4Gretton @peter63

Good morning everyone from a bright sunny Dorset (UK), it was very stormy earlier! Haha, changed so quickly!

The season of Advent is here, I have a feeling these next few weeks are going to disappear in a flash. This year has gone by so quickly, unbelievable.

Thought it would be great to have some festive fun to lighten the days, where we can post Christmas prep photos, stories, ideas etc.

It was this time of year that I was in the midst of chemo treatment, I remember watching, or trying to watch, a lot of Christmas movies. I sat and watched the girls put the Christmas tree up with the help of some friends. Not easy days to get through. I understand complete as do many others here if you are in the treatment at this time of year.

Hopefully this thread will bring some joy.

I have finally finished putting up Christmas here. The tree went up on Thursday…..twice!! 😂 .

I had finished it, it looked lovely in its new position. We have an artificial tree and it is so realistic it drops tons of needles, so it is necessary to vacuum them up. It was all going swimmingly, I just had to shuffle it over a little….the next thing I saw was the tree going horizontal, and I couldn’t stop it. The sound of breaking glass as the baubles smashed , well, I just held my head in my hands 😂😩. I couldn’t even blame a dog and it wasn’t Lola! Hahaha 🤣.

Mark came and rescued it, and the repair work and redecoration began, lol. Thankfully the sound of breaking glass was worse than the reality. I only lost a few decorations.

I will take a photo and post it here.

It would be great to see your festive creations and hear your stories too.

I have tagged some of you, but everyone is welcome to join in. I’m just not sure who gets to see these posts. Hope everyone does still. 😀

Christmas card writing…

Chat soon,

Lou x

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before and after….😂😂

No, we don’t have a dog, that should be a pic of me!! I was the culprit 😂😂.

Recovered and in position again. 😅😀🎄🎄

Lou xx

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@RobertA @LouiseJ @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @Anneb@JerseyBob @Nicnac @Jimjam @Newshoes123 @PositiveLady10 @gloden02@4Gretton @peter63

Good morning everyone

What a beautiful tree Lou! Sorry to hear about your near catastrophe with the tree falling over but you would never know now. Like Lou, I do remember being in the middle of treatment and watching my husband, Geoff, decorate the Christmas tree for the first time in his life!! He made a good job of it too, as he has with everything else he has had to do and take over for me, bless him!

We are in Keswick on a cottage break this week and the town is beautifully decorated (see photo below) as well as bits and bobs which our thoughtful hosts have put in the cottage. We will put our tree up when we get home and keep our fingers crossed that we will be able to be with the family for some of the time - Covid permitting! We have already bought most of the presents but wrapping and cards still need to be done as well as some handmade bits needing to be finished off. Next Sunday there is a Christmas Craft Fair in our village followed by carol singing in the pub - fingers crossed that can still happen!

Take care of yourselves and sending everyone my very best wishes.

Michele

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone,

Michele, how lovely for you! Keswick is a lovely place, we've only been once as a stop over on way to see my parents in Scotland when the girls were younger. It rained! So lovely to see a snowy wintery scene with the tree. Very pretty. I hope you had a lovely time as I expect you might be back home now.

I am in same position as you, no wrapping done as yet except for postal gifts. Cards are mostly done just a couple to do. I am trying not to panic thinking about timelines for things I have to do. Today I am going to work backwards from deadlines and plan out what and when.

I don't know if it because we lost Charlie this year and obviously Lola is still here, but I have begun actively encouraging wildlife into the garden, lol. Just call me Mrs Dr Dolittle, haha. Early days, heard one fox last week, hoping to hear more. So much fun watching the squirrels and birds coming to feed. I bought some bird food proper this week, and just chopped up some extra carrot and apple for squirrel family. They eat the nuts and seeds too of course. Lola isn't happy at having to stay in when it's a bit busy out there, haha, she chatters away through the window at them all.

Today I will hopefully begin wrapping some stocking gifts , helping Santa out of course 🎄🤶.

I hope you all have a good day, chat soon,

Love Lou xx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @NanaBubbles

Good afternoon everyone

Oh Lou. It must have been awful watching your Christmas tree crashing to the ground. What a relief that the damage wasn’t too bad. It certainly looks wonderful now. Haha, that picture of the dog looking guilty is so funny. Who says animals don’t have expressions! How lovely to have all those animals and birds visiting. They must be really happy to find the food that you put out for them.

It must have been really tough going through chemotherapy at Christmas. It’s bad enough at any time. My cancer was confirmed on 22nd December five years ago and it’s a date Mary and I will never forget that’s for sure. Well, we’re still here and happy to chat to anyone who is having a tough time right now.

Hi Michele. Oh my goodness, you were also going through treatment at Christmas. Well done Geoff. It means so much to have a loving and supportive partner when you are going through cancer.

I know Keswick very well. It is a lovely town and I envy you your cottage break there. Thank you for the lovely photo. I trust you have enjoyed the snow and you are able to drive home safely. I do hope that the new Covid scares don’t spoil your Christmas plans. Mary and I will have a quiet time. We would have liked to join Mary’s large family in Cheshire but my immune system is compromised and we are not ready to risk a flight yet. Thank goodness for FaceTime.

Love Rob xx

@JerseyBob @Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon

Glad you like the photo Bob. We are home now and decided not to return on the horrible M6 so came back through the Dales, Skipton, Ilkley, Otley, Leeds and M1. Thought of you in the Dales which brought back many happy memories from living in Yorkshire and we are now determined to return. Geoff had never been to Ilkley and it really looked pretty with all its Christmas lights.

I was glad to be home as I have picked up what, I hope, is a chest infection but GP has told us both to get Covid PCR tests which we have done today - don’t think it is Covid as we have been super careful but my immune system is compromised too so fingers crossed. I feel the same as you about flying Bob, particularly with the new Omicron variant now. We will also be on our own for Christmas itself but hoping to go to stay with our son and family in London over New Year - Covid permitting. As you say, thank goodness for FaceTime.

Christmas seems to be coming quickly now and I wish that I could raid your Christmas goodies Lou! I find that I have some home-made mincemeat from last year which should be fine (has brandy in it1). Have also ordered our turkey crown as it’s just two of us and some smoked salmon etc. Our lovely friends are self-isolating now prior to her second operation and will be again after her op and will just be good to mingle again from Christmas Eve. I think we will share some of Christmas with them and we are looking forward to a bottle of champagne on Christmas morning with them to celebrate the successful removal of her cancer - fingers crossed!!

Well, that is all our news so will sign off.

Michele x

@NanaBubbles @Sunshinedaff

Hi Michele and Lou.

How I envy you that drive through the Dales Michele. Mary’s sister has a static caravan on a farm somewhere between Skipton and Ilkley. We can see the Cow and Calf rocks in the distance from the caravan I love both of those little towns, they are everything that Yorkshire is about.

Mary and I love Betty’s Tearooms in Ilkley and we treat ourselves to a pink champagne afternoon tea when we are there and then buy some fat rascals to take home.

We trust that your friend’s second operation goes well and that you will be able to enjoy that bottle of champagne to celebrate the removal of her cancer. That will be a real celebration. New year with your son and family sounds like a real treat and I hope that you are able to make the trip safely. I never imagined that COVID would still be an issue this Christmas but I guess we are learning to live with it now.

I bet you are very busy baking Lou. My niece in Texas has made a ‘Red Velvet’ cake for her husband’s birthday. I have never heard of that, but I am intrigued. I expect you will know the recipe.

The weather here is atrocious. My youngest sister and her husband were due to come over for a few days last week, but their flights were cancelled. Luckily, they have been given credits and hopefully, will make the trip in January or February.

For anyone who doesn’t know them, I attach photos of Betty’s Café Tea Rooms and the Cow and Calf rocks on Ilkley Moor. Ilkley Moor is famous for the Yorkshire song ‘On Ilkla Moor baht’at’ or ‘On Ilkley Moor Without your Hat’. 🤣😉

Rob xx

@RobertA @Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon my friends,

Rob I thought you might like to see a quick snap from the car as we went though Ilkley. Your photos are super. We didn’t stop unfortunately but we will go back. It is a while since we last went into a Betty’s (in Harrogate) and remember having a proper Welsh Rarebit which they do brilliantly and then we also took some Fat Rascals home with some for our son and daughter as well! Tanya was very envious as she loves the Welsh Rarebit and it was our occasional treat when we lived nearby. Earlier we went into Keelham’s Farm Shop just outside Skipton which is amazing! Lou, you would love it and wonder if you know it Rob - if not and either of you are in the area it is somewhere to remember.

What a shame about the weather preventing your sister and husband from visiting Rob. The weather here is pretty dire and last night our not yet 2 year old oil fired boiler died and it seems that we must wait over a week before someone from the manufacturer (because it is still under warranty) can come to sort it out, unless there is a cancellation. Geoff has been out and bought an electric convection heater so with that and our fire in the sitting room we will weather the storm, as they say!! But honestly, over a week!!? It makes you realise how all the people felt who lost their power in the north-east and Scotland with Storm Arwen and had to wait such a long time!

Anyway, had better get some food organised. Look after yourselves.

Michele x

Good morning friends,

Rob, Michele I love your photos!

Unfortunately I haven’t been to Yorkshire to Betty’s Tea Rooms, but a friend did send me some cakes from there a few years ago. They were shaped into green apples and tasted delicious. They do make a lovely gift to send someone, I have done that a few times since then. Mark and I keep saying we should visit that area, I do love Welsh Rarebit too!!!

I’ve not had a fat rascal either, please remind me again, what are they?

A pink champagne tea sounds right up my street!! 😋😋. Haha.

Rob I’m so sorry to hear the visit got cancelled due to the weather, these recent storms have caused a lot of havoc. I hope it won’t be long before it can be rearranged, covid permitting.

Michele it will be lovely to celebrate with your friend, hopefully these latest restrictions won’t get in the way. It was good news here yesterday too. A friend , met here and on the FB group has been going through treatment a second time for lymphoma, and required stem cell transplant has had the call to say treatment worked and she is in remission again. Such good news. When we fetch Phoebe from Exeter we will do a detour and I will drop some treats in for her and the family.

It is great to celebrate these achievements and battles won over cancer.

I hope your boiler is repaired soon Michele, it is always terrible timing isn’t it! Only 2 yrs old? Was it still under some sort of warranty? Ugh! I hope the new heaters are working well for you in the interim.

My days are a bit slow in starting, only because I spend too long looking out of the window at the birds snd squirrels. Hahaha. Today visitors so far include 4 squirrels, Mr Robin, pair of jays, family of blackbirds, Mr and Mrs Magpie, and two rooks. I am loving it! Lola isn’t!! 🐱🐈‍⬛🐿

Have a good day, chat later on,

Love Louise xx

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Im in again. I did like you said Lou, signed in and stayed in 🤣🤣🤣

So i think it will be ok💖💖💖

Ive loved catching up with all your news and beautiful photos.

Looks so cool and wintery and christmasy 💖💖💖💖

We are in to summer now well and truly. In the mid 30s this week. Saturday 37.

Oh well it is Australia 💘💘💘

Love to you all

Margy💖💘💖💘

@RobertA @Anneb @NanaBubbles @jacksprat_x1 @Chilali1531 @Jimjam @PositiveLady10 @peter63 @Nicnac, @JerseyBob @Lesley

Good morning everyone,

Margy I’m so glad you’ve been able to get in again yes I think the best thing to do is to not log out it seems to work better that way for me, anyway I don’t know if anyone else is having difficulty getting in still and perhaps it might be a good idea if you tried once you get in just not logging out.It is a shame we can’t talk to each other. I apologise if there are loads of typos in this or misspellings and misunderstandings I am voice recording it and sometimes whoever the voice is on my phone typing my words they might not understand what I’m saying. Hahaha 😝 .

I hope you will all have a good week this week, it’s getting a bit busy out there and with the new Covid strain that is going round things are starting to get a little bit tricky. Please stay safe as you can, we are being as antisocial as possible to be honest. Glad to have had the flu jab as well. Hoping the girls get their boosters soon, Hannah is the one who mixes the most with her job, so hoping she stays clear of it.

Will chat later, sending lots of love to you all.

Lou xx💕💕

Lou, i am back in again...woo hooo

Off to work

Love margy💖💖💖

edited December 2021

@NanaBubbles @LouiseJ @Anneb

Hello everyone

Oh Michele. What a bad time for your boiler to pack in and how dreadful that you have to wait so long to get it sorted out.

I love that photo taken whilst you were driving through Ilkley. You had also mentioned Otley, a town Mary and I know well. Otley is less than 4 miles from Leeds/Bradford Airport and we usually stay there for a couple of nights prior to flying home to Jersey following our Yorkshire breaks. Here are two photographs taken at Otley Chevin Forest Park. Mary is quite rightly feeling happy because we had climbed up there from the Town which you can see way below in the photos. It was quite a climb and way beyond my current capabilities.

I don’t know Keelham’s Farm Shop but I have made a note for us to check it out next time we are in Skipton. We are hoping it won’t be too long, but this Covid situation shows no sign of changing for the better.

Hello Lou, my sister was really disappointed that she had to postpone the Jersey visit. As you can imagine, this new strain of Covid has unsettled her too as her husband is 83 and quite vulnerable. In the circumstances, I fear we will have to delay getting together again, probably for some time. I can understand that you are keen for the girls to have their boosters and I hope they get them soon.

It must be really exciting having so many furry and feathered visitors. Poor Lola. Are you able to take photographs or would that disturb them?

Oh Margy, it’s lovely to have you in again. Your weather sounds lovely - what wouldn't I give for your lovely warm weather. My polymyalgia rheumatica is annoying me and a bit of warmth would help. In normal times, Mary and I would be planning a month or two in Estepona in Southern Spain in February and March. We love that town and I have been studying my Spanish especially hard over the last two years. Ah well, by the time we finally get there, perhaps I will be fluent!

Love to you all.

Rob 💕💕💕💕

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Hello everyone

Our good news is that our boiler was fixed yesterday - hooray!!!🤗. So last night I discovered that my side of our electric under blanket had packed up! One thing after another, and I do enjoy getting into a warm bed which really helps my rheumatoid arthritis. I do empathise with you Rob - this is a particularly achey time of year and my walking is very limited at the moment, in fact, so much so that Geoff has bought me a powered wheel chair which can also be pushed so that we can get a bit further. One of the main things I miss now is my ability to walk in the countryside which I did all my life until the RA got bad.

I am glad you like the photo of Ilkley. Your photos of the Otley Chevin Forest are great too and Mary was entitled to feel happy to have got to the top! Many years ago, as a family we walked up the Old Man at Coniston in the Lake District and the sense of achievement when we reached the top was terrific!

Lou, I hope that all your family will all be vaccinated very soon. The omicron variant is very scary and Covid generally feels much closer than previously - several families locally have it. I think we will be staying very local. We were intending to go to see our son and family in London for a few days between Christmas and New Year but will postpone.

Take care everybody.

Michele x

Almost finished wrapping. Just waiting on a couple of on line orders and all done🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

@Sunshinedaff @JerseyBob @NanaBubbles @jacksprat_x1

@Chilali1531

Hello everyone 🎅🎅🎅🎅

How are your xmas shopping and festivities going? Is the new virus going to ruin things for you.

We are hearing on the bews that you are getting 50 60 80 plus cases a day.

That must be devastating for you.

How is it in your area Rob, any better.

We went out and finished off food, present and "stuff" that was not necessary but fun to buy.

You know , just little things , fun stocking fillers.

Beaus girlfriend Rebecca , is obsessed with Llarmas 🤣🤣🤣yes you heard that right....llarmas.

I actually found socks and a framed print of llarmas this morning😀😀just fun things.

I think we are ready for the festivities 🎅🎅🎅🎅

We went out at 7am to beat the crowds and the heat...only 35 degrees at the moment but it is supposed to go up with time this afternoon. Hopefully only a few degees. Just not ready for 40 plus yet.

Im sending a pic of the final tree and presents and our dining table.

No huge decorations this year. The heat has come far too early this year.🔥🔥🔥 and we were supposed to have a mild summer this year 🤣🤣🤣🤣

love to you all.

Happy Christmas prepping, cooking and shopping.

Stay safe

Lots of love

Margy

🎄🎅❤🎄🎅❤🎄🎅❤

@NanaBubbles @Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Oh Michele

It is really sad to hear that you are no longer able to walk in the countryside. I really hope that the powered wheelchair is a help and allows you and Geoff to get out and about and enjoy the countryside together.

Wow, climbing the Old Man at Coniston is a real achievement and I bet the view at the top made it really worthwhile.

It is a pity that you have had to cancel the London holiday with your son and his family, but it is vital that you stay safe and well for the time when you will be able to visit.

Hi Margy

Your Christmases sound really exciting. Your tree and pressies look wonderful.

It is lovely to know that you will be with your family again this year. We would have loved to go to Manchester and spend Christmas with our families but we feel that it is too risky at the moment and so we will be spending it at home together. At least Mary and I will be together and that is the most important thing.

By the way, I’m with Rebecca all the way. When we were in New Zealand, we stayed on a llama farm and fell in love with the animals. Our hosts were members of the New Zealand Llama Association.Llamas are a way of life.😍

Love from Rob 💕💕💕💕

@JerseyBob @Sunnyside @Anneb

Hello everyone

Hope you are having a good weekend and all your preparations for Christmas are well on their way! Our little tree is up now and am busy wrapping presents and getting some ready to post down to London as we are not going ourselves for a while. However, the good thing about our daughter’s family all having Covid a short time ago is that they can come here to visit without risking bringing it to us!

Rob, there would have been a good view from the top of the Coniston Old Man fell but we started the walk in bright sunshine and as we climbed up it got colder and by the time we got to the top we were in a snow storm!! You couldn’t see anything! Fortunately, we had all our proper walking gear on with goretex jackets and boots etc plus we had hot drinks with us too so we were ok. I sat down in the lea of the trig point cairn at the top for a few minutes and started to feel sleepy! I am sure if I had stayed there for longer I would probably have developed hypothermia!! We then set off walking a circuitous route back and the sun came out again eventually and then we could see something of the view which was glorious.

Margy, your tree is beautiful! Ours is artificial and I would love to have a real one (they smell so wonderful) but it seems that the ethical thing to do is to keep an artificial one over many years so that the real ones can absorb the carbon. There is now a scheme where you can hire a tree for the Christmas period and then give it back to the nursery for replanting. Another is to buy a potted one and plant it in your garden but we did this some years ago and they get too big for the average garden! Anyway, all your decs look great.

Anything to do with llamas seems to be very on trend here and we have several places near us where they are kept. Our neighbour recently went with her friend to a llama farm where they could take one each for a walk which they thoroughly enjoyed!

Lou, I expect you are up to your ears with your cooking. Hope all is well with you all and that you are all set for Christmas. Did you see the recent TV programmes about a year in the New Forest with Peter Owen Jones (ecologist) doing the commentary. He is not my favourite presenter but the photography was stunning. I had great empathy with the woman who said that you can take the girl out of the Forest but you can’t take the Forest out of the girl! I knew most of the info given but there were some interesting facts given which I did not know. I know it has all changed a lot from when I was growing up though!

Well, folks had better get some wrapping done and I have buttons to sew on a little jacket for grandson Thomas before it can be sent. It’s no good keeping it until we see him as he is growing so fast.

Best Christmas wishes to you all

Michele x

Hi everyone

🤣🤣🤣😪😪😪😪I was locked 🔒 out for a few days

Really don't know what is happening 🤣🤣🤣

Back in now

Off to work now

💘💘💘

Countdown now 🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

Good evening everybody,

Margy I can’t work out why you have so much trouble getting into the website frequently it’s really bizarre, however I’m very glad that you are finally able to get in tonight or this morning I hope that you have a good day at work.

I can’t believe that it’s the 22nd of December tomorrow I am not ready for Christmas oh my word I still have so much wrapping to do and sorting out to do I’m going to try and make some good start tomorrow on it really. Each year I said to myself next year I’m going to start early and have it already by the start of December then I can relax and enjoy the run-up to Christmas but every year it’s always the same I don’t know about anybody else ha ha ha.

Michelle your tree is very pretty horses artificial as well in fact I’ve not had a real tree since before or since when I lived at home I bought my own tree back in 1984 and it was artificial it’s been changed a couple of times but I’ve never had a real tree since then.I agree with you they smell gorgeous though don’t they. I found a couple of years ago in a garden centre in the Christmas display area some little sticks that are very scented and you can hang them on the tree and they give off the sort of Christmas tree scent, they’re very effective I don’t know if you’ve seen any around and they’re really good.

No I didn’t say that documentary on The New Forest the other day we haven’t watched a lot of television for a long time, actually we tend to stick to Amazon Prime or Netflix etc. We found there hasn’t been too much on terrestrial TV that’s been interesting for us. I need to catch up on Escape to the Château though I really love that program I’ve got a few episodes to catch up on LOL.

Today I made my final deliveries for my orders on Christmas cakes which is a really good feeling I can’t believe I’ve actually done it it’s been a mad few weeks and some very late nights and early mornings I hoping everybody likes them of course.

Well It’s getting a little bit late here I am hoping everybody’s having a good week and staying safe, we’ve got a lot of cases here around our way. Hannah had got quite a lot at work with people going down with Covid, friends I know the kids are going down with Covid it just seems to be sparking off again so I hope that all of you are managing to stay clear of it.

Have a good night, chat soon,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Finished with my new ornaments that I love.

Thankyou 🎅💘🎄🌲

💘💘💘🎄🎄🎄🎅🎅🎅

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

ahhh I love your willow tree ornaments, they are beautiful. Love your tree too, it is beautiful, bright and cheery 😊.

🤶🎄

xxx🧡💓

Merry Christmas everyone

Have a wonderful day

🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅

Love Margy ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Merry Christmas Margy! Go to sleep or Santa won’t arrive!! If he’s late to your house he’ll be late to ours!! 😂😂😂

Lots of love xxxx

Just turned the lights out and going to bed Louise.

I definitely don't want to delay Santa 😀😀