Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Good Morning!

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Anneb @RobertA @NanaBubbles @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @Jimjam @Nixster @Blanka_C

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to you everyone, wherever you are 😀,

Here it is a lovely warm sunny morning. It is a Bank Holiday in the UK, so very busy here in the south.

Spent some time in the garden yesterday which was good, hoping to do more today. Having to take it easy still though, as physically not in a good place. Very frustrating, but there you go.

How is it we have reached the end of August already??

I hope you all have a peaceful weekend, for those who are recovering from surgery or treatment I hope things are improving. Thinking of you all.

Lou xx

Comments

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hello lou, Rob and the rest of the Gang

Well i thought id try to get in tonight and BAM i got in...and im just off to bed...😢😢😢 havent been able to for a couple of days.😢😢😢

Lou how are you going.not sounding promising. How are you all going.

1st day of Spring tomorroe. Like you said lou, where has the time gone.

We are in lockdown everywhere now. Pete is working fro home, but beau and i are still going to work. Essential workers.

Well i hope you are all keeping well.

Love margy 💞💘💞💘

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Margy,

Oh no, those jolly IT gremlins! I don’t know what is going on! But glad you managed it.

Bless you and Beau being essential workers, I hope you can stay safe.

Although things are opening up here, there are still covid cases, and people are getting it quite badly even though vaccinated. My sister has it! Been shielding since last year, went out on Friday, and bam! Covid! Not good.

I’ve not been well since Charlie, and this week my teeth seem to have flared up, no idea why, feels like all my teeth on one side are agony! Just trying to get through the weekend, thankfully I have an appointment booked on Tuesday. Having to take codeine for the pain.

How lovely you are entering the Spring season, I know I am going to miss the summertime. 😢 .

Going to rest and do some painting for a while , then get in the garden later. Will have a BBQ for dinner, love that!

Hope you have a good night. Chat soon.

Lou 💕💕💕

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone

I do apologise for my absence for a while. It’s been a tough summer with several long hospital stays & immunotherapy which I’m glad to say has worked well. I’m lucky, I seem to respond well to each treatment I’m given. However due to my mutated Philadelphia negative chromosome I’m prone to relapses & after the last one in May the haematology team decided a bone marrow transplant was my best option.

My brother in Sydney is my donor, we’re lucky that he’s a perfect match. So they removed bone m from him over 14h then flew it over to France. A slight hiccup due to Covid & plane cancelled but it finally arrived- phew! I’m still amazed what they’re prepared to do to save a life.

So I’m in hospital for about 7 weeks, in a protected “ Tupperware “ unit. Everything entering my room has to be sterilised including food. This is my first week so I’ve been having chemo & radiotherapy to clean out my bone marrow. On 2 Sept they’ll do the transplant. I’ll be extremely vulnerable to germs for the coming weeks & will likely feel rotten. Only the children & Peter can visit with space suits & only if my immunity is not rock bottom. They’re used to me being in hospital for long periods so they’re stoic & optimistic. Me too, my morale is good. I’m lucky.

Ive got lots of time now to catch up with all your news. Sorry to hear about your difficulties…stay strong !

Take care , Ali xx

Ps We managed 3 days at the Mediterranean near Banyuls last week which set me up for the stay ! Was lovely to swim in the sea after a year & eat lobster !

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning Ali,

It is so good to hear from you. I know you have been undergoing a lot of treatment since early this year. I am so pleased it has been effective, I can understand how tough it must have been for you, Peter and the family. How brilliant that your brother can be a donor for you for the bone marrow transplant, yes , very impressive how the medics work together to make that happen. You have amazing strength Ali, I will be praying and thinking of you as you go through this next huge operation and treatment process. It is good the family can visit although required to gown up, but seeing them must make a difference for you. Chilli must be missing you very much. It is lovely to hear you have managed to spend a few days away, doing normal life things, and enjoying favourite things in a beautiful part of France. Lovely to see your photos too. 😀.

Sending lots of sterile hugs 😊,

Lou xxx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531

Good afternoon dear friends

Oh Ali

How lovely to hear from you and to see your great photographs. It is special to see you always smiling and looking so lovely notwithstanding the very difficult times you are going through.

It is wonderful to know that your brother is a perfect match and that it was possible to send his bone marrow from Sydney to France for your transplant. The next seven weeks will be tough I’m sure, but worth it and you will come out a new person.

Mary and I are joining Lou in praying for and thinking of you over the next few weeks. As Lou says, Chili will be looking forward to seeing you too.

Take good care.

Rob and Mary xx

@Sunshinedaff @JerseyBob @Chilali1531

Hello everyone

I have not been able to get back in since the 29th August...

I have been so worried about you Ali, not being able to get in to see how you are going.

How are you managing now, has it got any easier for you silly question but i have been saying a prayer for you to the universe to help you cope and survive the turmoil that your body will be going through💞💞💞💞💞

Having cancer, because you live with it everyday, i didnt realise it was 7 years ago this october i was diagnosed.Where does that time go. Trying to always stay one jump ahead i guess, as you will all know💘💘💘

How are you going Lou and Rob, it has been so hard for me not to be able to get in to catch up.😢😢

We have had a busy weekend. Pete and beau spread soil over the whole back yard. Grass was too spongy apparently🤣🤣🤣

Anyway i have been doing the linen cupboards and laundry...whew..all done.

All the leaves are back on our trees so back to not being able to see anyone from our hard..woo hoo.

I will send some photos if i can get back in to see some aussie winter sunshine

Love to you all

Please stay well, so that when we can travel i will be over to meet you all. How wonderful

Love

Margy xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx

Oh my goodness, im in for the second time...wow

Lots of dirt🤣🤣🤣

More dirt🤣🤣🤣

Trees are all filled with leaves💞💞💞

Pete and i finely fully vaxed for covid💞💞💞

Love to you all

💞💘💞💘💞💞🌳🌲🌴🌱💘💞🌴🌳🌲💘💘

Hi Margy,

I really don’t understand what the problem is as to why you are having so much difficulty logging in. Have you tried just not logging out sometimes?

Anyway I am glad you finally got back again, your garden is lovely and huge! Haha!

Spongy grass doesn’t mean a thing to me!! Haha, our back garden would say ‘ what’s grass?’ Haha. A lot of it has turned brown by the sun over the last few years of hot summers and the winters just haven’t brought it back again.

So good you have had both jabs now, hope Beau gets his soon too. I know you are in lockdown, where we aren’t anymore, but that has come with its own set of issues now!!

Wow. You are 7 years diagnosed, I am 6! Good going Margy, we should celebrate!! 😀😀

Speak soon, sending lots of hugs, 🤗🤗🧡🧡🤗😀

Lou xx

@Anneb @LouiseJ

Lovely pics Margy. Your garden is amazing.

Wow, 7 years diagnosed for Margy, 6 for Lou and 5 for me and were all still trucking 😂🤣.

It’s nearly October and we have had a lovely week which is great as Mary’s sister is visiting - our first guest for two years. We took a drive along our east coast and enjoyed a cream tea at Gorey with a lovely view just outside the restaurant.

Rob xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JerseyBob

Hi Rob,

I am so glad you had a lovely time with Mary's sister, that afternoon tea looked delicious! It must have been lovely to see family again after such a long time.

Haha, yes Rob, we're not going anywhere in a hurry are we! 😀

Lovely sunny morning here, after a very wet and windy weekend. The heating has gone on in the mornings too!

Hope you have a great day,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon Lou

Yes, let’s stick around for a while yet.😉 I am having my COVID booster next week and also my flu jab so that should help.

It was a joy having Mary’s sister, Margaret, to stay. We did the tourist trips and ate and drank too much which was lovely. Margaret’s husband died suddenly nearly twenty years ago. We had always holidayed as a foursome, firstly in Yorkshire, and as we got older and a bit better off, we started holidaying abroad. We have photographs and videos of our times together and we enjoyed a nostalgic journey through those wonderful times.

Chat soon

Rob xx

Morning Rob,

I hope your Covid and flu jabs went ok last week.

I have my flu jab next week but haven’t heard yet about covid booster. Think it will be early November.

I can just imagine you have so many photos and memories to share with Margaret, it is good to be able to look back and reminisce, sharing the good times. Bless you.

I hope you and Mary have a good day, chat soon,

Lou 🤗🤗 xx