Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Happy Father’s Day…

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

It is Father’s Day in different parts of the world today.

A day to remember, celebrate, give thanks to, for those loved ones in our lives who have represented a father figure even if not literally to us.

Dad’s, Grandad’s, Dad’s to be, Dad’s no longer with us.

I hope today you all are able to talk to if not spend time with your families and loved ones.

My dad passed away from cancer in 2006, I think of him often, and wish he’d been able to see my girls grow up and for them to have known him.

Have a peaceful evening everyone,

Chat soon,

Lou x

Comments

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21

@LouiseJ

Good afternoon Lou

What a lovely post. Yes, it must be a sadness for you that your Dad was not able to see your girls growing up but at least he lived to see you in a happy and fulfilling marriage blessed with children.

I think of my Dad a lot too. He was brought up by two aunts and barely knew his parents, but he made up for that by being the best Dad anyone could possibly have. He worked very long hours in his business, but still always made time for the four of us at weekends, walking, cycling and playing together.

Sadly, I am not a Dad but I used to work with a young woman who was a typist/filing clerk in the office. She always wanted to know about things and I encouraged her and later pushed for her to become my assistant. We worked as a team and I suggested she take the relevant exams and mentored her in the process. She passed with flying colours and when I retired, I put her forward as my replacement. She is now happily married with a smashing husband and a lovely little girl. We meet up once a month and I feel so proud of what she has achieved. I guess it’s not anything like the same but it’s probably the nearest I can get to understanding what it must be like to be a proud parent.

have a good week.

Rob xx