Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Hello June....

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

And just like that we’ve arrived half way through the year!

Good morning everyone,

Anyone else like me, wondering what on earth is going on with time??! 🧐

I can’t seem to keep up with the pace that it moves.😆 Is that a sign of getting old? I hope not, I’m not old in my head or heart, I can’t say the same for my body though, soooo frustrating. 😫

If you have appointments, treatment, surgery scheduled I hope things go smoothly for you, I don’t know how delayed things have become because of Covid, but I hope this is improving.

Have a good day, chat soon,

Lou x 😊

Comments

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

Hope you’re doing well. I’ve been in hospital nearly 3 weeks undergoing immunotherapy after a relapse. It all seems to be going well & I haven’t yet had any vile side effects. I’m not allowed out until my white blood cells reach a decent level so no idea if I’ll be here for another week or more. Normally I’ll be allowed out for 2 weeks then back in for another 4 & this pattern until im in remission.

It’s hard being in 1 room & not able to move ( it’s a sterilised unit). I miss nature tho I can see trees from my window & the Pyrenees in the distance on a clear day.

Thank goodness for WhatsApp. Friends send me pictures of flowers & nice landscapes regularly which I really appreciate. I miss Chili & Peter’s cooking ! Food here is a bit bland & I can’t have any fresh veg or fruit due to possible germs. Everything has to be in tins or plastic. I’m desperate for a bacon sandwich ! Or an avocado.

Bur I’m being v well looked after. The medical team here are v kind & friendly. So it’s just a matter of being patient ...

Take care, Ali xx

It was Mother’s Day last Sunday. A friend’s daughter made me this card.

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chilali1531

Hi Ali,

It is lovely to hear from you, what a beautiful, thoughtful card to receive for Mother's Day. Beautiful words and sentiment.

It is very good to hear things are 'so far, so good' even if your white blood cells are taking their time to build up. I am sure it must be very hard to be in a sterile bubble for such a long period of time, but great to hear you can at least see some nature from your window. I didn't realise food had to be so regimented too for you. I can understand the fresh fruit and veg, but cooked meals? So what variety of tins and plastics do they offer you, I hope more than soup and tuna! I expect Chili and Peter, obviously are missing you very much, I can imagine how Chili will greet you when you return home 😀.

Yes, thank goodness for technology and social media in times like this, it does make it easier to keep in contact with friends and family.

I have just returned from my first post lockdown swimming session, I was nervous to go, but glad I went. Although I realised just how bad my knee has been when I tried to do some breast stroke! Oh dear! I am going to have to take it very carefully, with that and my neck it's going to be a slow process. It isn't as busy as before as they have halved the class sizes to accommodate social distancing which is better actually, not as crowded.

Going to get in the garden soon, I am getting there with my summer planting, all very late this year. The azaleas have only just blossomed, my sunflowers are tiny, I planted them out yesterday. I saw a photo from last year, and this time then my sunflowers were almost 5 ft tall. I think 5 " is more like it this year, haha.

Veggies I am trying are carrots, red onions, peppers, tomatoes. Leeks and potatoes are still going from winter. Oh and of course strawberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, hoping for a bumper harvest!

We are having some very warm days which is brilliant, I have no idea how long it will last, so definitely making the most of it.

Thinking of you often, sending lots of love, chat soon,

Lou xx

😊💐

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531

Good afternoon everyone.

Oh Lou. Half way through the year! we will be thinking about Christmas soon. 🥶😂

Haha, with your approach to life you will never get old. It is good to hear that your swimming sessions are back on and it sounds a lot better with the pool not being so crowded. Sorry about your knee, hopefully it will settle a bit as you get used to the swimming again.

I’m not surprised that your Summer planting is late if you have had the same weather as we have lately. Yum, the veggies and fruit sound great, especially now that I am not eating biscuits or cakes. 😇

Hi Ali. How lovely to hear from you. I am so pleased that you have been able to keep in touch. It must be really tough having to stay in the sterilised unit and even more so not being able to get out and about with Chili and Peter. I am delighted to hear that things are going well and that you have not experienced any nasty side effects.

What a beautiful Mother’s Day card and yes, thank goodness for Whatsapp and other modern communication methods. I chat with my sisters on FaceTime at least once a week and also with family in the USA.

It was really hot here yesterday and Mary and I may have spent a little too long in the Sun so we have been much more cautious today. I took these photographs at our favourite St Brelades Bay yesterday. We never get crowded beaches like you do Lou, perhaps because we have so many. Traffic and parking are OK too and in the Summer months the bus company uses open topped buses which is fun, and free if you have a pension pass. 😀

Chat soon

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that top photo Rob. Looks fantastic, would love to visit there. How lovely. 😀

xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Well, you know where we are 😉 xx

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Gosh what a beautiful beach ! You are lucky to live there Rob. I miss the sea, haven’t seen it since last Sept. 😩 But I get to see mountains quite often which I’d the next best thing. My parents have just been to Wales with their caravan & sent me some lovely photos of sea & mountains. Ali XX

Not quite the same weather as Jersey but I love those heavy skies.

@JerseyBob @Chilali1531

Good morning Ali, Rob,

We have another beautiful start to the day. I love the light mornings.

Wales is a beautiful country Ali, with such amazing natural scenery everywhere. I love those photos, the stormy clouds are so dramatic.

We live very close to the beach but don’t visit much especially at this time of year, it is just too crowded for me.

I hope you had a ‘good’ day yesterday, are you allowed books and magazines in your room to give you something to do when you feel able to?

Rob, I know that word! In my head I have recently been thinking about where the tree will go as we have extra furniture in the lounge still after moving Paul’s things! It is going to be a major overhaul to sort it out.

A few weeks ago I went mad and impulsively bought a writing bureau from FB marketplace. It reminded me of the one I used to have when I was a child! It is sitting in the lounge, needs refreshing and stuff but I haven’t a clue how to go about it, and we have nowhere to put it where it can be used!!!!!😫😆😂

Just doing a spot of painting, everyone still sleeping, except me and the cats!

This is Charlie helping me!!!

😀

Chat soon,

Lou xx

edited June 3

@Chilali1531 @LouiseJ

Yes Ali, we are lucky to live here in Jersey which has many beaches, most of which are sandy and very attractive. We don’t have high rise hotels and apartment blocks which is nice too. Even so, I envy you your beautiful mountain scenery and you will be looking forward to heading off to your holiday home with Peter and Chili before too long.

I love your parents photographs too. I guess Yorkshire folk visiting Wales is a bit like taking coals to Newcastle but one of my best friends is Welsh and we have toured there together on many occasions.

Haha Lou. I know what you mean. We are struggling for storage space in our flat so we rent a storage room in town. It is full of C stuff and it would have been a lot cheaper to dump it and buy new in December. 🤔😂

I love impulse buying and a writing bureau sounds great. I use Youtube whenever I don’t know how to do things. It’s amazing what people post on that.

Charlie looks really content and he must be lovely company.

Mary’s sister has a static caravan on a farm just four miles from Ilkley, Wuthering Heights and Bolton Abbey and it is a shortish drive to Headingley, Yorkshire’s Cricket ground. We can’t wait to get over to see the family and enjoy some Yorkshire country walks.

It was a little cooler yesterday and we enjoyed a breakfast at a café on the five mile beach which is on our West coast. A friend took the photo.See the crowds on the beach 😂

Rob xx

@JerseyBob

Hi Rob,

Good morning! Well the amber alert which is in place for a few days has so far not produced anything here. We had a sprinkling of rain last night, but nothing else, it is still very warm, sat in the garden writing this!

I love the photo of you both!

Do you find you have needed things from storage yet? We have so much stuff too, I think it gives Mark a headache! We still have the writing bureau and some drawers taking up space in the lounge! No room in the garage and I am reluctant to let them go!

I haven’t got round to figuring out how to refresh the bureau, I don’t know what possessed me, hahahahaha, seriously we have nowhere to put it!! 😂😂. Poor Mark, he is very patient! Should get a sainthood! 😀.

I hope you both have a good day,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Haha. No we haven’t taken anything out of storage. Some say that if you don’t do so you don’t need it but we have parted with so much from our past we can’t let go of anything more. I know how you feel about that.

I always wanted a writing bureau but I have settled for a laptop rest which I can hide behind the settee when it’s not in use. I have become so used to typing that my handwriting is shocking through lack of use and I can’t even read it myself 🤔 Haha, since you are now able to dictate your posts, you don’t need anything to write on.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Rob xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JerseyBob

Hi Rob,

Hahaha 😂😂, my dictating isn't that good yet! Hahaha!

I know what you mean about handwriting, ugh, mine is becoming a scrawl, I used to have such good handwriting too. Like you say, if we don't use it, we lose it or quality diminishes. Or is it old age??? Nooooo!! It's got to be the former! 😜

I hope you and Mary are having a good week, we had better weather here yesterday, hope the same here today, before the rain returns!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

🤗🧡🤗♥️