Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

My 85 year old mum has cancer but her only symptoms are from being bed bound

TeresaATeresaA Posts: 2
edited May 2020 in Carers Corner
Hello - I am so pleased to find this forum. My mum was diagnosed with lung cancer in September and advised against chemo as she was so poorly. We took her home to live with us and were set up with a palliative care package. She was on oxygen 24/7 when she left hospital. She has stabilised since being here and is in no pain. Her memory is now very poor and she is incontinent as she isn’t getting out of bed. She has stopped using the oxygen during the day. So her only deterioration is not related to the disease. I’m feeling lost as to what is ‘normal’ and want to support her and be her voice without giving her false hope. But I feel slightly abandoned by health services as, although they respond to me when I contact them, rarely offer anything beyond that. Surely she should be having OT support to try to keep her mobile? She is now deeply anxious and in low mood. Any suggestions please? I am seeing the GP this week as a have power of attorney.

Comments

• hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Hi @TeresaA, this sounds like a very difficult period for both you and your mother. If you can get support from an OT then I think that would be fantastic, especially as they can often "think out the box" to devise some sort of routine or exercises that might help.

I don't know if there are any products we offer in our shop but it might be worth having a look there - I'll ask our team if they have anything we can suggest!

You might also want to take a look at our support map, which lists various services in your local area that might be able to provide support.

Beyond this, I'm hopeful that your GP can provide some support through local services.

Please do let us know how things go and feel free to ask the Community for help.
  • hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Hi @TeresaA - I've asked and there may be some items that are useful for your mother in our difficulty moving section of our site (we happen to have hoists as well as lap trays etc. that might help with both mobility and ease and comfort for your mother). However these are just products that might help. I agree with you that the best course of action is probably to speak with your mothers GP and see if you can get some additional care and guidance in your home, as you suggested your self.

We often hear in the Community of how local care services leave some patients and loved ones frustrated but I do hope you can get some additional care and I'm sure the Community can help you and your mother in this time.
  • TeresaATeresaA Posts: 2
    Thanks @hessom for your helpful suggestions. I’ll take a look.
    Teresa