Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Ask a Healthcare Professional

International Nurses Day

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone,

I thought we couldn’t let the day go by without mentioning that today is International Nurses Day, a day where we think about and give credit to the wonderful profession where nursing around the world cares and looks after patients from all walks of life, covering all manner of medical needs. Today is the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth which is why this day each year is commemorated to mark the contributions nurses make in society.

All of us here on this forum will have had interactions with nurses at various times. Anyone who has had a cancer diagnosis enter their life will understand and appreciate the care received from those in the nursing profession.

In my own life I know I have had the most excellent care from the various nursing teams I have encountered during my cancer treatment. Oncology nurses, breast care nurses, district nurses, post-op nurses. Here in the UK we have the privilege of having the NHS and I cannot fault the care from any of them.

If you are here and you are also in the nursing profession, thank you. Thank you for choosing nursing as your vocation, for helping others like myself who have counted on you to be there for us.

Have a good day, everyone,

Lou x