Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Mental Health Check-in - How are you feeling today? Pick an emoji

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone,

I hope you are all having good weeks as much as is possible. Having just passed the 'year' since lockdown and restrictions began here in the UK, and even earlier in other countries I thought be good to have a catch up, see how everyone is doing?

I remember last year we had a chat where we used emojis to signify where we were at. Sometimes it is difficult to put into words how we are doing, words can fail us, all we can fathom is a 'feeling' about something.

I don't think any of us would have envisaged a year like we have all had or been through, and it isn't over yet. Personally I don't feel we'll be through this completely for a considerable time yet. It remains a very tough time for many people and especially those dealing with cancer.

So I have listed below 5 emojis that can be used to describe how we are feeling. Of course, writing words is absolutely ok too.

Please remember you will always find a listening ear here, for anyone who needs a friendly chat, or support, or just to vent.

😁 I AM DOING GREAT

🙂 I AM DOING OKAY

🤔I AN FEELING 'MEH'

💪 THINGS ARE TOUGH BUT i AM HANGING IN THERE

💬I FEEL LONELY AND WORRIED, AND WOULDN'T MIND IF SOMEONE REACHED OUT TO ME TO HAVE A CHAT.

Today I am 🙂

Chat soon,

Lou x

Comments

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou

Emojis are fun, they make me smile. So today I’m also 🙂 with a touch of 💪. I find them really useful when I’m too tired to answer so just a 👍🏼 is adequate.

Enjoy the day 🌷Ali xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chilali1531

🤗🤗

xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning,

Today it is a 💪 for me.

😫💊🦷😫

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @Anneb @jacksprat_x1 @NanaBubbles

Well, I had a good day yesterday.

I had my annual check up at the Memory Clinic and I came out well on the tests. My assessor was pleased that since my last check, I (but mostly Mary) have gone through Lockdown, moved house, and are now managing health issues and I am still standing.

A couple of years ago, I doubt whether I would have coped, but thanks to the support and encouragement I have had from Mary, MacMillan and our lovely LBW Members I am in a different place these days. It is good to know that Mental Health awareness is better understood and that with the right support and encouragement people suffering from depression can find a way through.

Haha, wandering again Rob. I’m still struggling with my steroid side effects, but not complaining TOO much so.

💪 and I am 😃

xx

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

So glad to hear it Rob. Me too i had good results from my latest tests & still in remission. Phew! I was a bit worried as I’d been so so tired. So I’m feeling 💪🏻 too.

Take care Ali xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7

@Chilali1531

Hey Ali

In remission 👍is just the best news. Hope you can relax, enjoy the Spring weather and get your strength back soon. 😃

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone,

Firstly Ali, so pleased to hear your wonderful news, fantastic!!! 🤗🤗😀 Sorry I missed this!

I hope you are continuing to feel stronger and able to enjoy more fully times in the mountains and relaxing in your garden.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week and I know that everyone who encounters cancer for themselves or a loved one suffers from the mental anguish and trauma it can bring.

Just to say everyone is very welcome to chat here on this forum. There is always a listening ear and a friendly chat or smile to be found.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlie Mackay

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Thank you for reminding us that it is Mental a health Awareness Week.

Yes, Once we hear that word ‘cancer,’ I don’t think we are ever going to be quite the same again. Being a cancer survivor is scary and lonely. We are forced to accept changes we aren’t prepared for and didn’t want. It is often painful, both emotionally and physically and even when treatments are finished uncertainty and side effects usually remain. I think also that we can feel pressured to get back to normal though for many of us the normal we used to have no longer applies.

Our spouse or partner is usually just as affected and likely to feel anxious, lonely, helpless, or afraid though they may feel that they cannot admit to it.

As you know, Lou, counselling and chatting with the lovely people on this forum was the key to getting my mental situation back on track and I am now a firm believer in asking for help. it is good to know that mental health issues are now so much better recognised and understood.

Rob xx