Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Breast cancer, another anniversary, still with many side effects....

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone,

I know I am not alone in coming across these 'anniversaries' of diagnosis, treatment, etc. Does anyone ever forget these days and times? Probably not.

So what popped up on my phone this week were photos post-op after my mastectomy, five years ago. So much has happened since those days but I can still remember them vividly.

I still experience excruciating pain along my scar line and chest area. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing when it occurs, but my family find me writhing in the chair trying to stretch it out, which usually makes it worse! haha.😁 I mention it every time I see my surgeon, or oncologist, apparently it is very common for lots of people. I am guessing lots of you hear will understand!

I was chatting on another chat about how I find I have to do things in short bursts then rest these days as I am unable to take a long run at anything anymore. I do find it frustrating, and I have realised I am still coming to terms with this new living arrangement my body seems to require haha. 😁 But my mind has definitely not caught up, so dealing with allowing things' to be' for a lot longer than I used to, trying not to worry or fret when things are not done yet. It's not easy though is it?!😁

But the sun is shining through the window, I am here, and I might not have been, so for that I am thankful.

Wishing you all a good weekend, stay safe.

Lou xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Thank you for your post which is a reminder that cancer treatment and/or it’s after effects can go on for years. Your body has been beaten up and changed, you have had surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormone treatments etc. You have coped with everything that has been thrown at you and now you are free to celebrate, party and shout from the rooftops. Aren’t you? 

In truth, we are still living with cancer even if we are deemed to be ‘cured’ and as you say, there is a sense that we should be thankful that we are still here and I know that I am. Even so, I believe that cancer is not the same as that of any other type of illness. It is a life altering event and like you, I imagine that most of us will never forget the dates and times of diagnosis and treatments.

Rob xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much, yes, I agree with you in all you have said.

A cancer diagnosis is a life changing event and one in which I think you come through, if successful, a very different person than the person you were pre-cancer.

It may be that it is just priorities and perspectives that change in our mental health and mindset or physical, medicinal changes that occur which force a change.The adjustment from one state to a new one takes a long time to settle into.

I am blessed that the treatment I had was successful, so my difficulties are as a result of that and the fallout of chemotherapy. You along with many others here are living with a ‘terminal’ prognosis each and every day, which I know has changed you and undoubtedly everyone who is in that situation.

Lou xx