Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Live With Better Cancer Forum Book Club 2021

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 719 mod
edited January 23 in Cancer Coffee Break

@RobertA @Lesley @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @Anneb @Nixster @Ruaafa92

Good afternoon everyone including those not tagged 😀,

Welcome to the 2021 Live Better With Cancer Forum Book Club!

I thought we could start a new discussion for the new year, hopefully we will be able to read a few books throughout the coming year.

We are about to start another book in our Community Book Club, it would be great if any of you are book lovers and would like to join in, the more the merrier! 😁

There is a list below, but it isn't definitive, and if you have a suggestion, please let me know, it will be added to the list and we can vote on which one to begin reading next.

The Community Book Club is for fun, we have read two books so far, You Were Gone by Tim Weaver and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. It is relaxed, stress-free, and easy going, not a 'serious' book club!😁 .

I love searching for new titles that might prove to be interesting reads. Usually I will do it by going down to Waterstones or Smiths our main booksellers here and spend a long time perusing their shelves. One of our favourite things to do. I mean who doesn't love to do that?? Haha. 😀

Unfortunately with covid restrictions and lockdown this has not been possible this time, so I have done a search online.

If you have any book that is gripping you, that we could all read, please let me know. Michele, how far have you got with Tidelands? If you are near the beginning I will include it in the list.

I don't know about you, but I can read books more than once, sometimes I think ooh I remember how this goes, then realise I have forgotten lots of it, so it is never dull re-reading.

Without further ado, here is the list of books with a brief description, I have included some of our previous list, if you vote please indicate your top two choices then a decision might be easier to determine!

Buried - Lynda La Plante - The first book in a new series by this author. DC Jack Warr has moved to London and becomes involved in and investigation into the criminal underworld that has repercussions in his own life. A burnt out cottage. A fortune buries in the ashes. A body that could solve a decades old crime. ...

The Guardians - John Grisham - 22 years ago Quincy Miller was convicted of murder, his punishment life in prison. His case is taken on by an innocence lawyer who has exonerated eight men in the last ten years. He intends Miller to be the next. ....

Codebreaking Sisters Our Secret War - Patricia and Jean Owtram - Two sisters, one war and an extraordinary family secret. An incredible true story of two sisters who answered the call to duty, helped crack the Enigma code, support the Allied troops and defeat the Nazis....

An American Marriage - Tayari Jones - Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of the American Dream. He is a young executive, she is an artist. One day their world is ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn't commit and Celestial has to find a way to live through being apart....

When all is said - Anne Griffin - Five toasts, five people, one lifetime. At the bar of a hotel in a small Irish town 84 year old Maurice Hannigan is ready to tell his story. Over the course of the evening he will raise five toasts to the five people who have meant the most to him. Heartbreaking and heartwarming all at once the voice of Maurice Hannigan will stay with you long after all is said.....

Absolute Proof, Kill to get it, die to keep it - Peter James - Investigative reporter Ross Hunter involved in presenting evidence to prove the existence of God, if he can survive long enough to present the evidence. What would it take to prove? What would be the consequences?....

Cilka's Journey - Heather Morris - Based on a true story. Cilka Klein is sixteen years old when she is taken to Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp. After liberation she is falsely charged as a collaborator and sent to a brutal prison camp. Innocent and again imprisoned she faces challenges both new and horribly familiar. Her story is a powerful testament to the triumph of the human spirit, her determination to survive against all odds will leave you astonished and uplifted......

The Book of Two Ways - Jodie Picoult - Who would you be if you hadn't turned out to be the person you are? Dawn finds herself facing death, thinking not of the perfect life she has but of the one she abandoned years before. Against the odds she survives, and has to confront questions she's never truly asked. What does a well-lived life look like? What do we leave behind when we go? And do we make out choices, or do our choices make us? Two possible futures. One impossible choice. .....

Becoming - Michelle Obama - An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States...

Death of an Expert Witness - P.D.James - When a young girl is found murdered in a field, the examination of the body is just a routine job for the staff of Hoggatt's forensic science laboratory. But nothing could have prepared them for the brutal death of one of their own. When the senior biologist is found dead in his laboratory Commander Dalgliesh is called to the bleak fens of East Anglia, where the murderer is lying in wait to strike again...

Inferno - Dan Brown - ..Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon awakes in a hospital bed with no recollection of where he is or how he got there. Nor can he explain the origin of the macabre object that is found hidden in his belongings. A threat to his life will propel him and a young doctor, Sienna Brooks, into a breakneck chase across the city...."With only a few lines from 'Dante's Inferno' to guide them, they must decipher a sequence of codes buried deep within some of the Renaissance's most celebrated artworks to find answers to a puzzle which may, or may not, help them save the world from a terrifying threat...(This does stand alone, it isn't necessary to read the previous ones).

Look forward to chatting with you soon,

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,241 mod

@LouiseJ

Good afternoon again Lou.

What a great choice of books.

I am a massive John Grisham fan and I have actually read The Guardians which is a cracking read.

Having done a bit of research on all of the books, I found myself becoming intrigued by 'The Book of Two Ways'. In my own life, as a young man, happily living in the North East with a lot of friends and a lovely fiancee, I suddenly decided to apply for a job in Jersey. As an International Finance Centre, it offered the potential of a much more interesting career than I could have hoped for in my home town. My fiancee didn't want to leave and we didn't have wifi or FaceTime in those days and so our relationship did not survive the separation. I have had a lovely life and the most wonderful partner and wouldn't change a thing, but I still sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I hadn't answered that ad. Haha, rambling again.

As I said at the beginning, all of the books look really interesting and I am happy to go with whatever anyone fancies.

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 719 mod

@RobertA

Morning Rob,

Ohh I am glad you enjoyed the John Grisham book, it is one on my list, I find his novels really easy to read and get in to.

Yes, perhaps the Book of Two Ways will be interesting to read. It is interesting how we can reflect on life and our life choices, how things would have been if... but then have to remember life throws so many curve balls at us, that we make the best choice at the time for us don't we. So the twists and turns our lives take would always be there, just different circumstances. I mean one prime example is here, with all of you, I never thought for one second I would be diagnosed with cancer, even with my family history. But the silver lining has definitely been meeting all of you. Really.

Will wait a bit to see what others think, I am looking forward to reading Becoming too. Hopefully we will have a few more members join in.

Hope you have a great day whatever you and Mary are doing.

Chat later,

Lou xx