Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Festivities, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the festive Holiday season....

13»

Comments

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Good evening from the snowy mountains in the Pyrenees !

We’ve had 7 days here with a quick dash back to Toulouse for bloodtests. Unfortunately we're back home tomorrow as Peter has work. The weather has been mixed but the last 2 days were snow & blue sky. -10C at 8am but a very dry cold so bearable if you’re wrapped up. I managed to do a few short walks ( everywhere here is up!) so I get breathless easily. The views today were stunning. I never tire of the mountains & take the same old photos each year tho usually we don’t have this much snow at Christmas. It’s been a lovely week of cocooning in front of the fire, forgetting about the word of the world.Peter has cooked some lovely meals but he did question my putting gravy on his spinach & feta pasties today - well I have a little trouble eating spinach & he doesn’t understand gravy, coming from Puerto Rico ! I’m only getting revenge for him adding very hot to my cooking ! Chili has been having a blast in the snow .

I was really sorry to hear about your Covid Jackie - you still sound amazingly upbeat ! Hope you’re on the mend now. I’m abit disappointed as I apparently can’t have the vaccination according to my oncologist, so we’ll have to continue being ultra careful & lucky.

Lovely family photo Lou ! Hope things aren’t too hard for Hannah.

Hope you had a great time with your sister Margy. I miss my brother (in Sydney). We were supposed to go there last Christmas but I got I’ll...maybe next year.

Hope you’ve been for a few long walk to get rid of the mince pies Rob ! Today is my son Daniel’s 29th birthday so I made him his favourite chocolate cake & delivered it before arriving here like a good mum !

Gorgeous picture of all the grandchildren. I’m hoping I might have a couple in a few years ...my parents were great when mine were young & often took them on holiday. Now they have a lovely relationship.

Well here’s wishing you all a « Bonne Année » - it surely has to be a bit better than last ! Keep safe, Ali xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening friends,

Ali, beautiful photos as ever, I am so glad you managed to get away for a week and enjoy the peace and wonderful scenery.

It has been changeable here, we had a very small flurry of snow on Friday, lol. I expect others had more than us though.

Hope blood test results come through quickly for you.

Mark is back to work tomorrow, Phoebe finished her job, the contract ended, but she has applied for another post.

We just finished another jigsaw, I have put a pic up on the New Year chat.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, chat soon,

Lou xxx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Hi Ali

Those photographs are just breathtaking and I am not surprised that you keep taking them. I can't begin to imagine what it looks like for real. How lovely that you were able to manage some walking - progress is progress 😃. Trust the blood tests were OK.

Poor Peter, not liking gravy. I can't imagine life without Yorkshire pud and gravy. As you will know, Yorkshire pudding is meant to be eaten before the main course as an appetiser. When we were children, we always had it as a starter for Sunday lunch (we called it 'dinner' in the North.) My Dad used to say "Them's as eats most pudding gets most meat “ which was of course,a ploy to fill us up so that there was meat left for the rest of the week.

Hi Lou

It is good to hear that Phoebe has applied for another post. It sounds as if she has enjoyed the work.

I have had a look at that jigsaw. It looks fabulous and I guess you will not want to break it up. Perhaps you can keep it for next year 🤣😂

trust you are recovering well and feeling better now Jackie.

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening everyone,

How are you all doing?

Rob, I have not heard of eating the yorkshire before dinner. Great idea! haha, with lots of gravy mind, I usually have a bit of dinner with my gravy not the other way round, hahaha. 😂

So the Christmas decs have not made it down completely yet, the tree is still up, only minus the baubles, all the other decorations are still on it. The other house decorations are down, I now have different candles up, after all it still gets dark early!

I read that many people are keeping their decs and lights up, just to keep a bit of light and joy to help them through lockdown. I think if that helps someone, great, we need to do anything to help ourselves cope with these days.

Yesterday, unfortunately I had the necessary requirement to go to A/E (not for myself), after being triaged over the phone by 111. We arrived at 5.30pm and left at midnight! Whilst there we encountered the wonderful staff, nurses and drs in the NHS, all dispensing warm care and attention whilst being swamped by the seemingly never-ending queue of ambulances bringing in more patients. We also had the excitement (for us, not the medical team) of seeing the air ambulance arrive and land in the car park. You heard it first of course, I said ooh the police helicopter must be close by, but the noise just kept getting louder and louder. The next thing we saw through the window was it descend and land. For me this is as exciting as seeing the Red Arrows fly by! haha. Sorry to bore you, if you are thinking, she's mad, hahahaha. 😂

So we also saw the most appalling behaviour of people who had to attend the hospital too. Oh my goodness, I could not believe what I was seeing and hearing. Total disrespect for others, no covid precautions, blatant disregard for social distancing etc. I was getting so angry, I almost raged at them, however I was reminded, they looked the sort to retaliate so best let the hospital authorities deal with them.

Exhausting, eating dinner at midnight was difficult I could easily have skipped it, but that was not possible. Fish finger and ketchup sandwich for me.

Today has been exhausting, another hospital appointment, plus three telephone appointments on attend anywhere. Tomorrow we have more of the same, no wonder the tree is still up, lol😂

Oohh, must say, we started watching Traces on iplayer today, good show, my sort of programme.

I hope you are having a good evening, chat soon,

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Oh Lou

I am sorry to hear your news. You are in my prayers and I trust that the care and attention that you and yours are getting from the NHS staff will help you to see it through to better days.

I am shocked to hear about the dreadful behaviour of people attending the hospital - as if the staff don’t have enough on their plates already. The contrast between the kindness, love and sacrifice of many, against the selfish, dangerous and disgraceful behaviour of others is beyond imagination.

Mary and I will be thinking of you tomorrow. We hope that you will be able to manage the day OK and at least enjoy a good substantial meal at a sensible hour.

By the way, we sometimes had Yorkshire pud dripping in syrup as a dessert.

Chat soon

Rob 🤗xx

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou

Really hope you’re all coping- sounds exhausting & worrying, you are amazingly strong ! Praying all goes ok for you.

Hi Rob

Yes, indeed, we called it dinner too & Yorkshire pud with onion gravy was often a popular starter. I sometimes make toad in the hole which Peter likes.

My blood tests were reasonable, still low immunity but no platelets needed. I feel quite well so not complaining. The decorations are now down, am wondering which craft project to take up now.

Take care, Ali xx

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

Our week ahead🔥🌞🔥🌞🔥🌞🔥

edited January 2021

Hi Ali Haha, I bet Peter hadn't heard of Toad in the Hole before he met you. Great to hear that you are feeling well and that no platelets are needed - that is good news indeed.

Hi Lou. I do hope that things are going OK with you all. I still can't get my head round the behaviour of those people at the hospital. I have just read an article saying that selfish people in the UK are still ignoring mask wearing and that they are actually aggressive with people who quite reasonably ask them to mask up. I think we are pretty lucky here as everyone seems to be following the rules and our infection rates are coming down very quickly now.

Oh Margy. I couldn't live with those temperatures. Might just get away with 28c on Friday. I have been watching the cricket between Australia v India at Sydney. I recorded the action and then watched it after my breakfast not knowing the score, of course. It has been a really enjoyable series so far and a nice way to while away our winter under lockdown.

I am a member of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club and last week they sent out a message offering to phone and chat to anyone who is alone or lonely during these difficult times. How good is that! With so many people not allowed to go into work and no meeting up, it must be really hard for people who live alone whatever their age and this was a really nice gesture. Wow Margy, your cricketers are so competitive, I can't imagine what they would say to a Pom in a phone chat. Or maybe I can.😱

Rob xx