Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Happy Anniversary to us!

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Two years have passed since the forum began.

Congratulations to everyone here, some have been here since the beginning, others have joined over the course of this time.

I have had the pleasure of meeting so many new people since I have been here. I had no idea how special many of these would become to me, to make real, new friends in the face of cancer is not something I imagined or planned.

It is a privilege to be able to share stories with others, to listen when others share part of their life with us, to receive and offer tips and advice from those who understand and who have been in our shoes. To also have the opportunity to seek expert insight from professionals like Liz and Amber, at any time.

It has been a joy to share the triumphs of those reaching the end of their cancer treatment, where they have been able to move on, and look forward to new and better days. It is also an honour to share and walk beside those whose cancer journey isn't over, and where living with cancer has had to become an everyday thing.

The kindness, compassion, joy, friendship, that flows over these pages is so encouraging, I am really thankful to be a part of it.

Whatever you are doing today, wherever you may be, I hope it goes well,

Chat soon,

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,228 mod

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Wow, I hadn’t noticed that two years have slipped by already.

I absolutely agree with everything you have said so eloquently. I also love this community. It is full of courageous, caring and funny people, new friends who don’t mind when you are having a bad day and who celebrate the good ones with you.

I know that we have discussed the fact that cancer often leaves physical and mental side effects and that is certainly the case with me. Cancer is a life altering event and many of us may not be quite the same person we were before. We still need hormonal treatments and regular check ups and the cancer never really goes away. Friends and family can be really supportive and caring and naturally want us to be the same person we were before cancer intervened, but we cannot always ‘snap back’ to that person and we may not want to.  I found that being able to chat with others who are going through or have experienced cancer is really helpful as they are able to identify with my feelings in a way that others cannot however kind and caring they are, cannot.

Like you, I feel as if I have made some really special new friends in this community and it is a privilege to share the cancer journey with them. Hopefully, we will continue sharing LBW anniversaries for many years to come.

Rob xx